BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had just finished installing the black out kidney grill from Turner. As I was admiring my new grills, I see that the hood is not symetrically flush on both sides. With tool in hand, I go to adjust the bolt identified by the pics below with the red circle. Obviously, that was not the hood-stop/rest bolt. I did not count how many turns I made, so I had to guesstimate where it was... stupid me... too many tools, too little common sense. :eek:oohhh:

Anyhow, I did a search on the web a see that the screw I tinkered with is not the headlight adjustment screw, even though it will loosen the headlights to the point where it can move around.

After tightening the bolt, I go and proceed to test the aim of the lights visually, standing about 20 feet from dead center of the car. I noticed that the Driver's Side headlight gets brighter FIRST, as I lower my height (by slowly squatting). It would appear that if the M5 was behind a car, the Driver's side headlight will be much brighter.

Attached is the sequential pictures I took. I was first in a higher position (pic 1), where things appeared normal.... then I lowered my body (pic 2) and the Driver's Side light becomes brighter than the other side.... then further down (pic 3) it gets really bright while the passenger side stayed relatively the same.... then squatting (pic4) both are really bright.

I've read that after lowering the car, the headlight angle auto adjust sensor could be off. It may have been like that before I tinkered with the screw in question... OR I may have messed it up.

HELP!! :1zhelp:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
That is just a mounting screw for the headlight assembly. I had to remove it to take out the assembly when installing my angeleyes. This will not have affected thjhe aim of your beams unless you re-aligned the headlight assembly, whihc is not likely since you did not loosen any of the other bolts.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
That is just a mounting screw for the headlight assembly. I had to remove it to take out the assembly when installing my angeleyes. This will not have affected thjhe aim of your beams unless you re-aligned the headlight assembly, whihc is not likely since you did not loosen any of the other bolts.
Thanks for the info. Do you happen to know if you do my squatting visual test from dead center of the car ~20 ft away, will one light get brighter first before the other? I have since "realigned" my lights to be equal with the squat test, but against the wall, the right beam seems to shine a bit higher than the Driver's side (and angled to the right, which is normal, I think).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts