BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was currently in the market for a 2001+ M5 b/c of the 16:9 screen and angel eyes. However, I ran across a car that I really liked the color and interior.

It is the avus blue metallic color with this silverstone interior(??) that included two-tone seats, steering wheel, and door panels. The only problem, it is a 2000 model. I was wondering if there were other years that this color was made?

a) were there other years that this color was made with the two-tone option?

b) are there other two-tone interior color options out there, if so, what are they? I believe there is a two-tone dark blue, similar to nogaro blue of the S4.

c) did any E39 M5's come in white? I have not seen any for sale.

d) With 2000 M5's, since they do not have angel eyes or the bigger NAV screen (any other differences b/w 2000 M5's and later years??) ... will the 2000 M5's price be cheaper than 2001's?

If so, what is a good price for a 2000 M5 then with say around 30K miles on it. Is $40K a fair price to offer or is that to low? It just seems that b/c of the smaller NAV screen and notwithstanding the absence of angel eyes, this is the least desirable M5 to go after and the price should reflect it.

However, I like the avus blue metallic color.

e) Did they make E39 M5's in white?

·
Registered
145 Posts
NoSoup4U said:
I was currently in the market for a 2001+ M5 b/c of the 16:9 screen and angel eyes. However, I ran across a car that I really liked the color and interior.

b) are there other two-tone interior color options out there, if so, what are they? I believe there is a two-tone dark blue, similar to nogaro blue of the S4.
I have black with red inserts and it looks AWESOME. Very cool and one of my favorite things about my car.

c) did any E39 M5's come in white? I have not seen any for sale.

e) Did they make E39 M5's in white?
Yes, they did... The '02 M5 that Road & Track used in one of their comparo's was white.

d) With 2000 M5's, since they do not have angel eyes or the bigger NAV screen (any other differences b/w 2000 M5's and later years??) ... will the 2000 M5's price be cheaper than 2001's?
'00 cars are cheaper anyway just because they are older cars.

If so, what is a good price for a 2000 M5 then with say around 30K miles on it. Is $40K a fair price to offer or is that to low? It just seems that b/c of the smaller NAV screen and notwithstanding the absence of angel eyes, this is the least desirable M5 to go after and the price should reflect it.

However, I like the avus blue metallic color.
Well, my $.02 says buy the car that you really like. Incidentally, I have a 2000, simply for that fact that it was the one that I could afford. I know that I don't notice the fact that I have the smaller screen. I've considered changing out the lights for angel eyes (fairly low cost upgrade and readily available), but that's purely cosmetic as the non-angels work perfectly fine, so I may never actually get around to doing it.

$40g's may be a little on the low side, but then the market right now is a buyer's market on M5's so you may get lucky if the seller really needs to sell it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, actually my market is going to be either 2000 or 2001. So, hence, why I was wondering if white was available for those years :) ....

Well, the reason I was going to offer low 40's is b/c the car has been on the dealer's lot (BMW) for approximately 4 weeks now. Thus, it's not moving at the current price, very high 40's. I was thinking that the dealership is trying to make AT LEAST 20% profit off of used cars. Typically, I think they even shoot for 25% with Lexus, MB and BMW.

Thus, they probably offered around $37-38K for trade-in (based on auction prices I see of around $36K-39K), giving an offer around the low-40's gives them 3-10% profit. That's what I was basing my offer on. Do you think that is fair in light of the new facts?

You are right, a 2000 M5 should be cheaper because it is older; but, for myself (as a potential buyer) I am hoping to leverage the fact that later models came with distinguishing features making the 2000 model less desirable and harder to sell (albeit, a weak argument, hehe). It is not CPO'ed as well, it comes with the factory warranty; but, they will CPO it for a price.

Thus, I thought that without it being CPO'ed, the price should reflect it as well. Should I have them CPO it then and offer them around $44K?

·
Registered
213 Posts
You need to take in account the miles the current vehicle has on it. If avg miles (12-15k per year), that would be anywhere from 48,000-60,000. I know the majority of M5 owners (besides me) put a lot less miles than that a year. If you get the car for under 43,000...it's a good deal considering the miles are around 40,000 miles. I've seen some 01's go for $46,900/ 30,000 miles which is a great price. Good luck...but I'd definitely hold out for a 01' if your time frame allows.

·
Registered
213 Posts
NoSoup4U said:
been on the dealer's lot (BMW) for approximately 4 weeks now. Thus, it's not moving at the current price, very high 40's. I was thinking that the dealership is trying to make AT LEAST 20% profit off of used cars. Typically, I think they even shoot for 25% with Lexus, MB and BMW.

but, for myself (as a potential buyer) I am hoping to leverage the fact that later models came with distinguishing features making the 2000 model less desirable and harder to sell (albeit, a weak argument, hehe). It is not CPO'ed as well, it comes with the factory warranty; but, they will CPO it for a price.
I've not seen any dealers put that high of markup on used cars...especially with how weak the used car market has been. Typical dealers will add about 3-4k on the cars after pack (usually $500-$600) and go from there. Most dealers have caps on the profit (Sonic and Lithia) they can make on a car. If the car is bought 'right' they are going to be asking for retail. i.g., A used dealer goes to the auction and buys a used M5 for average book using the dealer BB (black book). Then in turn takes it to the dealership and books it out on NADA and adds all they can...alloys, roof, miles, etc. Then they will sell the car for NADA retail. Most finance companies won't finance over a certain % over book value so they pound the customer for more cash down.

Your strongest point of bargaining is the fact that it has been on the lot for a month. Be careful when inspecting the car...there might be a reason why it's still there. Remember 2 sets of eyes are better than your eager eyes. Back to point, the dealer has the car on his floor plan and has to pay interest on the car while it still sits on the lot. I'm sure the sales manager would be eager to 'get out' of the car before he has to pay more floor plan charges.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Dealers Markup

I have some real time data on a low mileage 2002 540i 6 speed from two different dealers. Both were in the 10-12% range. I know the Used Car Manager and he confirmed this with me. I believe the same range would apply to M5.

IMHO, A negotiating tactic is for you to make an offer that is borderline insulting and be prepared to walk away. Just be sure to leave your phone number and continue looking. If you absolutely have to have that particular car, make your offer more attractive to him, but still on the low side. Making your offer contingent on the CPO may help as well.

Hope this helps

Al

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Does anyone know ... Typically, what is the % difference between

the Black Book price of an E39 M5 as compared to the KBB

(Kelly BlueBook)Wholesale Price?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Guys ... I have checked with a source that has confirmed with M5's are going for at auction. I am speaking for 2000 M5's. If you need M5 prices for 2001+, feel free to email me. I am giving the median price, give or take a few thousand varying upon region.

Under 20K miles -- around $46K
20K-40K miles -- $44K
40K+ miles -- 42K

Thus, dealerships around ME at least, are asking approximately 20% profit. Most 2000 M5's are around the $52-54K range and they DO NOT have any under 20K miles on their lots.

The M5 I was looking at is at Open Road BMW in NJ. I spoke with Paul Ebner there. That M5 has been there quite a while and has around 13K miles on it. However, I found out that it has had $5K worth of damage done to it, although he assured me that it is fine. Moreover, they had to repaint the hood at least twice. The dealership said they have quite a bit of money vested into it and would let it go for $48,995.

Considering it has $5K damage ... I am veering away and continuing my hunt. I will be patient with this purchase rather than impetuous :)

·
Registered
213 Posts
STAY AWAY FROM THE CAR.

That's my opinion. If you are going to invest 50k in a car...you don't want one thats already been in a wreck or had previous damage. The mileage is low...that's great, but one reason why it might be so low is its been sitting on the lot or a repair shop to get fixed.

I've seen 2000 M5's going for low to mid 40's w/ under 40,000 miles. I had a link that would let you 'book' out a car at Black Book value but lost it.

I think that dealership is SOL right now. Nobody wants the car and they've put too much money in it and need too much for it. They'll probably just take it to the auction and lose their money there.

Patience is a Virtue....especially when buying a car. ;)

I used to wholesale cars and if you don't buy the car right...prepare to lose money. That's what the dealership needs to be ready to do. ouich

Ask your friend to pick you up a Black Book at the auction the next time he goes. They usually run on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays. If you can buy a BMW 'M' car at avg book w/o any paint ...you're doing great. :flag:

·
Registered
267 Posts
which would you pick

a 2001 m5 with 15k miles or
an 02 m5 with 2800 miles

the 02 is about $5k more expensive

Bringing wife to see both tomorrow night and hopefully will be driving one this weekend.
:wroom:

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Re: which would you pick

DrewT said:
a 2001 m5 with 15k miles or
an 02 m5 with 2800 miles

the 02 is about $5k more expensive

Bringing wife to see both tomorrow night and hopefully will be driving one this weekend.
:wroom:
What is the Color of each car?

Is that correct ... 2,800 miles as in Twenty-Eight Hundred?

Are both cars CPO'd?

Do both cars have the same option?

What is the build date of the '02? ... and check to see of the NAV is DVD based ... that is big plus!!

ALL things being equal ... My instinct is to go with '02.

·
Registered
267 Posts
02 has TWENTY EIGHT HUNDRED MILES

is Lemans Blue and saddle interior, DVD nav, fold down seats and Base stereo

01 is Jet Black with saddle, same options 15k miles.

I like the Lemans but will be driving one of them this weekend.:2:

Both CPO'd:7:

·
Registered
540 Posts
I may be biased, but...

The LMB/Caramel is my pick...lots of black cars out there, plus, the mileage is awesome...it's a new car

al

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Re: 02 has TWENTY EIGHT HUNDRED MILES

DrewT said:
is Lemans Blue and saddle interior, DVD nav, fold down seats and Base stereo

01 is Jet Black with saddle, same options 15k miles.

I like the Lemans but will be driving one of them this weekend.:2:

Both CPO'd:7:

DREW:

How much are they asking for the Jet Black?

Did you check the service records on both cars?

If NOT ... make sure you do!

·
Registered
267 Posts
JB is asking 61k but that was his first

offer before I even started on him. The LMB is about 5k more. What services would a car with 2800 miles need?

I will check ALL the records on both cars, I think there is alot of room on the prices as they have 5 count them 5 used m5's on the lot.

·
Registered
540 Posts
What services would a car with 2800 miles need?

Just the initial 1,200 mile fluid changes and check-up.

If he is asking $66k for a 2002, I believe that is too much, even with 2,800 miles. My market says the car should go for around $62-$63.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Thanks, much agree on price

but this is the asking price from the dealer they can't possibly believe thats what the will get. So I think low 60's will take the car. Appointment for tom night as tonight was very rainy.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts