BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I almost stripped the bolt that holds the rear support brace while playing with my exhaust modifications.

I wanted to get a replacement bolt but on realoem it seems different.

My car has a torx bolt for this brace but realoem shows a hex screw and bolt???

How is this installed then?!

I usually don’t back it out all the way as it can just swing out the way but still confusing.

#23 & 21 in the diagram. Mine for sure is an e-12 torx on there currently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2009 BMW E63 M6, Sapphire Black
377 Posts
pretty sure mine has hex bolt too. can look next time I have it in the air. I think TIS calls to have these bolts replaced if you remove them, so your not really out anything by stripping your old bolt

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I believe this long bolt goes through the rear subframe.

Just don’t know why it’s showing two bolts for each brace.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I see your delimma - that is odd. I'd put my $ on the long bolt too

·
Registered
377 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is how the #23 screw looks like:

I can see the hex end has an inverted threaded end.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
377 Posts
so the T
Yes I saw this, not very detailed unfortunately.

It’s just my OCD lol, I must have the correct hardware

I just edited that prior comment, check it out. Looks like the M8 goes in back, and the M12 up front

·
Registered
377 Posts
LOL - I get your OCD, I just bought all new hardware for my M6 suspension refresh. The factory bolts were not up to my standard of corrosion free.

·
Registered
377 Posts
huuhhh,, maybe the M8 is used to keep the M12 from spinning loose? I looked at this the other day, just not close. I ddn't notice a bolt with a hole in it, so the M8 may be screwed into the M12.????? It has a 25mm length, so that is about right from the ECS photo.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
huuhhh,, maybe the M8 is used to keep the M12 from spinning loose? I looked at this the other day, just not close. I ddn't notice a bolt with a hole in it, so the M8 may be screwed into the M12.????? It has a 25mm length, so that is about right from the ECS photo.
I have the correct bolts for the fronts. They sre just small 13mm hex, two on each side and holds the midpipe brackets.

It’s just the rear, so confused

·
Registered
377 Posts
I will have car in air next week if that isn't too late. Maybe later this week, just depending on when parts arrive.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I will have car in air next week if that isn't too late. Maybe later this week, just depending on when parts arrive.
Yes I can wait, just wanted to order the correct bolt.

Appreciate it!

·
Registered
372 Posts
I had mine off a few times in April and May after replacing a clutch and troubleshooting driveshaft vibration. Mine were/are torx. Cant recall the size but i jacked one up with wrong size socket and temporarily used a hex head until i could find the correct torx bolt at a local pick and pull. If your still having trouble i can remove one this weekend and snap a pic. And yes, the bolt #23 mounts to the sub-frame and the #21 screws into #23 and holds the rear of the reinforcing rods in place.

·
Registered
377 Posts
mine are also torx. Car has 36K when I bought it, probably never been off.

·
Registered
377 Posts
no, I didnt, just answered real quick while in garage. not working on those, rebuilding suspension right now. Didnt see any evidence of something in there with a bolt or a washer like the ECS photo. I'll grab a photo today.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts