BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Really need help,
Every time I take the car over 100mph it comes up with error on screen Engine fault! Reduced power :(
I had it booked in for a Evolve remap but Imran suggested for this problem to be resolved before any tuning is carried out, I was hoping it was just a bad map on there from previous owner.

I'm putting up pictures of the error codes that are coming up on a snap on computer, need car sorted ASAP as I'm going Nurburgring kn a few weeks,
I'm based in London, England.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
To expand on my above recommendation, is the rev limit dropped to 6500 or lower?

This is the first level (least severe) of the safety concept manager (limp mode) and the reason the rpm limit is not further reduced to 4500 indicating a more severe problem.

The misfire codes on all (but 1) cylinder are indicative of a problem which is shared among both banks, in this case most likely fuel rail pressure.

The DME's "misfire" error codes can be a little misleading given the advanced nature if the ionic current modules. Not only can it detect a knock to a mistimed spark and a lack of ignition completely, but since it monitors the integral of the ionic population curve present after firing, it can detect a low ion density a result of a lower than expected fuel charge for a given torque demand.

The DME controls the fuel pumps via a single wire PWM signal to the EKP module which is proportional to fuel demand. The EKP module the. Varies the duty cycle of the primary fuel pump as needed or in a high fuel demand scenario, turns on the secondary fuel pump which typically only happens near WOT.

The primary fuel pump is powered via F30 an the secondary via F72.

If those both check out fine, there is a fuel pump test sequence in DIS/ISTA that you can run to troubleshoot further.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Additionally, the first error code listed (fuel adoption) is referring to the O2 sensor (lambda) adaptations stored and is triggered when the sensed lambda (AFR) exceeds a min or max (max here since leaning out) value that the DME expects to see based on MAF flow and a couple of other inputs.

Essentially, the first fuel error is being caused by the misfire errors being caused by the second fuel error which indicates insufficient fuel pressure at max load.

I like these...they make me ponder...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you so much guys for your in depth evaluations,
But as I'm not to technical :(
Where do I start & what do I replace or check?
Which order would you do it in?

Thanks again

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Still having the same problem :(

1) I have checked fuses, there fine
2) I have replaced all spark plugs
3) I have put standard air filters back on

Took it out for a drive, as soon as the car reaches around 130 to 140mph bang Engine fault! Reduced power

What else could it be ???

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had similar issue on my m5. I replaced the fuel filter and that didn't work, replaced the pump and that didn't work, then finally I replaced the ekp module in the boot behind the drivers side rear quarter panel carpet and it solved the issue.

Basically the ekp is like the ecu that tells the fuel pump what to do. I worked out it was the issue as I was getting high fuel pressure at idle and low fuel pressure at max revs, which mechanically didn't make sense.

Go onto eBay, type in bmw m5 e60 breaking and email some breakers. I paid £80 for a second hand module. It's a 5 minute job to swap. Two nuts and an electrical plug and you're done. Mine fixed it without even having to do any re coding.

Try to get one from a 2007 onwards as I noticed there was a slight difference in the part number on mine from the 2005 one that was faulty- maybe they made a slight update to the module.

If that doesn't work try a second hand pump or fuel filter, both of which are under the rear seat bench. They're a diy job but not for the feint hearted.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had similar issue on my m5. I replaced the fuel filter and that didn't work, replaced the pump and that didn't work, then finally I replaced the ekp module in the boot behind the drivers side rear quarter panel carpet and it solved the issue.

Basically the ekp is like the ecu that tells the fuel pump what to do. I worked out it was the issue as I was getting high fuel pressure at idle and low fuel pressure at max revs, which mechanically didn't make sense.

Go onto eBay, type in bmw m5 e60 breaking and email some breakers. I paid £80 for a second hand module. It's a 5 minute job to swap. Two nuts and an electrical plug and you're done. Mine fixed it without even having to do any re coding.

Try to get one from a 2007 onwards as I noticed there was a slight difference in the part number on mine from the 2005 one that was faulty- maybe they made a slight update to the module.

If that doesn't work try a second hand pump or fuel filter, both of which are under the rear seat bench. They're a diy job but not for the feint hearted.

Is this the part your talking about?

1614 7834159-02

·
Registered
317 Posts
I've got a similar issue with mine, although it only presented itself when I was at the Nurburgring earlier this month. First time I hit 170mph on the main straight and the engine went into reduced power. Then it started doing it more frequently at lower speeds. DIS showed a 27DO fuel pressure adaptation fault. During normal road driving, I can't get it to go to "Reduced power" at all, at least not without losing my licence.

I'm going to start by changing out the fuel filter and re-setting the adaptations. I'll have to get it back on the track to test it out properly!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Took the car to Evolve and they found the problem straight away :)
Fuel pump was faulty.
Thank you evolve for sorting out the problem & for my Alpha N remap, I'm a happy boy

1 - 15 of 15 Posts