BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just flashed the latest servotronic evolve tune in my 01 M5. I figured it would be smart to check the diagnostic codes, even though I don't have a SES / CEL light, and the car has been running just fine. Here's what showed up:

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
// BMW Trouble Code list
//
// ECU Type : Siemens DME MSS52/54
// Vehicle Manufacturer Ecu Hardware Number : 7837965
// Vehicle Manufacturer Ecu Software Number : 7832794
// Vehicle Identification Number : WBSDE93491BZ99691
//
// 1) 8D Fuel level, plausibility
// 2) B4 Tank leak detected
// 3) CD Misfire during warm-up, Cyl #1
// 4) CE Misfire during warm-up, Cyl #2
// 5) CF Misfire during warm-up, Cyl #3
// 6) D0 Misfire during warm-up, Cyl #4
// 7) D5 Misfire during warm-up, multiple cylinders

I recently had the aux fan replaced due to a power draw when the car was shut off, had the washer system overhauled, and the transmission fluid replaced. I am not sure how long these codes have been stored, but I know they weren't there a year ago. I have not been driving the car a lot over the past year.

Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
BY the way, I cleared the codes, then flashed, then started the car post flash, then ran diagnostics again and they showed up immediately. I'm not sure if it matters, but I am running without MAF's.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does anyone have any ideas? It sounds like one bank it acting up. Vanos? I doubt all 4 coil packs went bad on one side at once... I just had the car out for a ride, and it's running great.

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Wow, two days and no responses. Wonder why?

The 8D, which is not common, looks like the DME does not like what one of the fuel level senders is telling it. Are you getting any strange fuel levels? Check out this thread and try test number 6.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/316282-m5-obc-secret-menu-post3948514.html#post3948514

B4 is an evaporative emissions code. It may be simply a bad gas cap or not tight enough.

There is a pump that occasionally pressurizes the fuel tank and tank venting system and can tell if the leakage to atmosphere is excessive. Leakage in this system might cause misfires but I don't think it would just cause misfires on bank 1.

So yes, it could be a VANOS or CMPS issue. The DME HATES setting codes for either even when it is causing misfires. A VANOPS test might be useful.

Can you feel misfires?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nobody loves me on the M5board, that's why...LOL

I am not seeing anything weird with the fuel level reading, but I will try the test. I will also give the vanos test a shot if need be. The weird thing is that I feel no misfires, and the car runs great.

I did get a response back from evolve (thank you Salman), and they tweaked the ICV to allow more fuel on startup/warmup. I am going to try that as soon as I can, and see if the problem is corrected.

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
That misfire during warm-up code may be misleading. It seems it actually means misfire with no cylinder cutout, so it may not necessarily be a warm-up problem.

Do you have INPA? It has a "cylinder unrest" screen which is an interesting term for misfire counting.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do not currently have access to INPA. I setup GT1 on a laptop for my friend a few years back, but he has it, and I never got to use it. Maybe I'll take a ride out to see him and run some tests.

You said it might not be a "warm up" issue. I did clear the codes after the car was fully warmed up and shut off. I then restarted the car and took ti for a ride, shut it off and rescanned for codes...no codes present.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SES came on today. Misfire codes are gone, but:

// BMW Trouble Code list
//
// Vehicle Manufacturer Ecu Hardware Number : 7843317
//
// 1) 8F E-box-fan
// 2) 8D Fuel level, plausibility
// 3) B4 Tank leak detected

I bought a new ebox fan, just need to install it. Any way to test the fuel tank leak?

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
SES came on today. Misfire codes are gone, but:

// BMW Trouble Code list
//
// Vehicle Manufacturer Ecu Hardware Number : 7843317
//
// 1) 8F E-box-fan
// 2) 8D Fuel level, plausibility
// 3) B4 Tank leak detected

I bought a new ebox fan, just need to install it. Any way to test the fuel tank leak?
No easy way that I know of. The test just knows something is leaking in the tank, filler line, breather, or EVAP lines up to the EVAP valve on the engine. Did you try a new fill cap like I suggested above?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did not try a new filler cap. I have emissions testing next month and the station tests the cap. I figured I wait for that. I haven't looked, but where do I get a replacement cap?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts