BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm close on a 2001 M5 with 40,000. I'll be the third owner. Not buying at BMW, but BMW dealer is offering a 36 month 75,000 EasyCare warranty for $2,995. Independent mechanic gave a thumbs up.

They will not come down on price, looks like good warranty coverage, and it is through the dealership.

Any feedback from members on potential repairs between 40-75k miles that they experienced would be great.

·
Registered
12,865 Posts
kencivic said:
I'm close on a 2001 M5 with 40,000. I'll be the third owner. Not buying at BMW, but BMW dealer is offering a 36 month 75,000 EasyCare warranty for $2,995. Independent mechanic gave a thumbs up.

They will not come down on price, looks like good warranty coverage, and it is through the dealership.

Any feedback from members on potential repairs between 40-75k miles that they experienced would be great.
I looked at it. I am still considering it, but if you have mods, it could very well invalidate the coverage. In talking to the underwriting department, they said they act reasonably (i.e. a change in the suspension would not void a claim on the differential), but nothing in writing to confirm this, and this is from someone trying to help sell it. So be careful.

The advantage is that BMW will do the repair and only charge you the deductible, where other warranty companies often just "reimburse" you for the expense.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have the EasyCare "Total Care" coverage on my M5. Bought 2yrs/40000km plan for CAN$3K.

They have been pretty good so far... They have replaced:

Instrument Cluster (dead pixels)
Lower Oil Pan gasket
Rear Lower Ball Joints + Alignment
Center Vent w/ temp control
Front and Rear Cupholders
Microfilter Cover
Driver's side power window switches
e-brake handle

About CAN$4400 of work, all covered... only had to pay the $100 deductible.

The only thing refused from EasyCare was the VANOS death-rattle. The solenoid update is not covered because BMW claims "it is not detrimental to performance or reliability". So basically I have to hope that the entire VANOS mechanism completely blows up before EasyCare will replace.

All in all a pretty good experience... I think it was worth it.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
kencivic said:
That price might be high. In Cal, I paid 4/75 with a $200 deductible for $2813. They quoted me 3/75/$100 for $2,800. Since I have low miles and multiple cars, 4/75 made more sense. Check the deductible on that quote. Also, check the prices for other year/mile/deductible options and shop around. That's your only option. I think the prices for services like this should not change much even by location. I wonder if you could purchase it from Easy Care directly. It could be cheaper to skip the middleman.

·
Registered
108 Posts
If you don't mind, can let me know what dealership that was from?

Thanks, Hector

a_ok2me said:
That price might be high. In Cal, I paid 4/75 with a $200 deductible for $2813. They quoted me 3/75/$100 for $2,800. Since I have low miles and multiple cars, 4/75 made more sense. Check the deductible on that quote. Also, check the prices for other year/mile/deductible options and shop around. That's your only option. I think the prices for services like this should not change much even by location. I wonder if you could purchase it from Easy Care directly. It could be cheaper to skip the middleman.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Hector Lopez said:
If you don't mind, can let me know what dealership that was from?

Thanks, Hector
It's Stevens Creek BMW in northern cal - Santa Clara, CA. I haven't used the warranty yet so I'm not sure if it's any good.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
The standard warranty is to 50k miles and emission parts to 70k miles. So $2,800 buys another 20k miles? :confused: :confused:

CP

·
Registered
108 Posts
That's right, but try looking at it in terms of years. It may make a little more sense that way.
chunpng said:
The standard warranty is to 50k miles and emission parts to 70k miles. So $2,800 buys another 20k miles? :confused: :confused:

CP

·
Registered
377 Posts
kencivic said:

I also just purchased a 2001 M5. I live in Northern NJ, am the second owner and have been shopping for warranty protection.

Here's a web site that offers some info on several companies:

http://www.extended-warranty.info/autowarranty/?ref=google

I'm about to buy from:

www.theautoclub.com

When I went to the site I couldn't get a quote, so I called. Mine has 46K miles and they offered a 3 yr/75K warranty including road side, trip loss, rental, etc. for $2350 and $100 deductible.

They also said they pay the dealer directly through a corporate credit card.

I'm also going to try to get a quote from EasyCare.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I brought a AAA waranty in April right after I purchased my M5. Cost $3,100, no deductable it is good till 2010 or 100,000 miles.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts