BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. First off I know this pertains to an e53 x5, but I am looking for help and this forum is always my first stop! I have done hours of searching and testing and cannot seem to cure the issue I am having.

I have coded LCM's in e53 X5's before successfully using PAsoft, but this time is different. The old LCM literally caught fire, so I was unable to retrieve the old EEPROM file before swapping LCM's.

Anyways, I swapped in an ebay ("tested good") unit. I coded in the mileage and VIN as I always do and not a problem. But since I didn't have the old EEPROM file to copy and paste, I manually selected the cars options, etc. Again I was using PAsoft/BMW scanner. All was good or so I thought.....

The turn signals and the high beams do not work. BUT, the hazards do work though. So I thought maybe for some reason the turn signal stalk went bad, so I installed a working one and still nothing. I then checked all teh wiring from the stalk harness to the LCM harness. Everything is perfectly fine.

Then I decided to hook up my NCS and see if I could figure out how to code it, but I really have no idea what I am doing in NCS, so I just let it be, so I didn't do more harm than good. I went in through INPA, while I had my laptop out (I know I cannot code with INPA) and found that the LCM is not recognizing the light control unit and analog pitman arm. What exactly are those two and is the reason why my indicator stalk is not functioning? Or is my problem elsewhere and not in the coding. :dunno:

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
If the coding is wrong the module will do weird things so don't worry about that.

NCS expert codes things back to stock easily (non-stock not so much :) )

PLEASE NOTE THAT I DO NOT OWN AN M5 AND THIS POST IS NOT INTENDED TO BE ARROGANT. PLEASE READ THE IMPORTANT REVISED DISCLAIMER THAT APPLIES TO THIS POST

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Those instructions are maybe for a different version of INPA or something. Because mine look nothing like that. Eventually I do make my way to LCM module and when I select SG_CODERIEN, I just get an error message:

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
That error means that NCS Expert thinks that the LCM you are using is not compatible with the vehicle order. Either the LCM is too old of a version (they are backward compatible not forward compatible or you have some sort of other problem, which you really don't want.

PLEASE NOTE THAT I DO NOT OWN AN M5 AND THIS POST IS NOT INTENDED TO BE ARROGANT. PLEASE READ THE IMPORTANT REVISED DISCLAIMER THAT APPLIES TO THIS POST

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
This is the eBay LCM3 that I installed. The car I am installing it in is my 2002 BMW X5 4.4i with Xenons

Not sure if I should order another LCM or what....?

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
That error means that NCS Expert thinks that the LCM you are using is not compatible with the vehicle order. Either the LCM is too old of a version (they are backward compatible not forward compatible or you have some sort of other problem, which you really don't want.

no, pretty sure the problem is that ncs thinks the module has the same coding index as the one originally installed in the car... and it doesn't. no big deal, when you're on the screen with the LCM ecu up go to "BASIC FUNCTIONS" then choose "CODIERINDEX_LESEN", that will read the coding index and should choose the right file. also get rid of the german and set it to english so you know what the hell its saying. not sure with the german but i think the new module is a coding index 18 so it needs the right file to code it, after you read the coding index the file on the screen should change from whatever the old file was to "LCM.C18", in any case set the language to english in case any other errors pop up.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
my install is always in english so im not 100% but i think there is a file in /CFGDAT, maybe inpa.ini, change the language in the file and save.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
no, pretty sure the problem is that ncs thinks the module has the same coding index as the one originally installed in the car... and it doesn't. no big deal, when you're on the screen with the LCM ecu up go to "BASIC FUNCTIONS" then choose "CODIERINDEX_LESEN", that will read the coding index and should choose the right file. also get rid of the german and set it to english so you know what the hell its saying. not sure with the german but i think the new module is a coding index 18 so it needs the right file to code it, after you read the coding index the file on the screen should change from whatever the old file was to "LCM.C18", in any case set the language to english in case any other errors pop up.

I tried this method and still getting error messages. I really don't understand NCS that well and most likely I am not even setting it up correctly.

Ughh this is really aggravating. What other programs can I use to code the LCM? I think I am limited with what I can do in PAsoft, correct?

Really need some help on this one :(

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I am ordering another LCM3 from Adam (Clemster)...NCS keeps telling me there is a control unit fault.

But when looking at the LCM via INPA I am showing that the computer is recognizing the inputs from the turn signal stalk (left/right indicators and high beam functions)...so that tells me that it is indeed a LCM/coding issue and not like a wiring issue or anything of that nature.

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
"The coding index for the following control units is not permissible for this coding order: lcm 18"

It's not quite as easy to fix.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
never seen that error. i would really like to see the error in english from ncs. the translators never get stuff 100%. im betting its just the coding index error im used to seeing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So what was the final fix to this? I'm having a very similar issue with my e39 and cannot get the blinkers/high beams to work. Flashers work and all connectors are fine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts