BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my 02 M5 with the stock rims on it yesterday and love it. However, I noticed that my rims had what it looked like to be brake dust or dirt deposits in a droplet looking form that was dried. No matter what I tried, they would not come off. Can anyone help me with advice on how to get these off? Are the stock rims polished, clearcoated, etc.? I used bug and tar remover and goof off to no avail. Is there some kind of rubbing compound or solvent that would take these off without damaging the wheel?

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
The stock rims are shadow chrome. There is a black foundation that is then sprayed with the gray/silver color to achieve the effect. There have been reports of the wheel finish pitting and causing an effect similar to what you describe. Of course, if the black spots are raised, it could be brake dust and other contaminants caked on. If so, these can be removed. Use elbow grease or Meguiar's Hot Rims/Cool Care All Wheel Cleaner for extra help.

It is not easy to refinish a wheel to achieve the effect as original, so you may need to paint all wheels or both on one side if the wheels are pitted. BMW has replaced several wheels for original owners that BMW adjusted or said were defective. Since you just bought the car, I doubt if they would make any adjustments.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Digi said:
The stock rims are shadow chrome. There is a black foundation that is then sprayed with the gray/silver color to achieve the effect. There have been reports of the wheel finish pitting and causing an effect similar to what you describe. Of course, if the black spots are raised, it could be brake dust and other contaminants caked on. If so, these can be removed. Use elbow grease or Meguiar's Hot Rims/Cool Care All Wheel Cleaner for extra help.

It is not easy to refinish a wheel to achieve the effect as original, so you may need to paint all wheels or both on one side if the wheels are pitted. BMW has replaced several wheels for original owners that BMW adjusted or said were defective. Since you just bought the car, I doubt if they would make any adjustments.
I'm not sure what pitting would look like, but the spots are not raised. They kind of look like grease/dirt droplets on the wheels that I can't get off with Goof off or bug and tar. I don't want to paint the wheels, but could maybe have them polished.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
jlindy said:
I'm not sure what pitting would look like, but the spots are not raised. They kind of look like grease/dirt droplets on the wheels that I can't get off with Goof off or bug and tar. I don't want to paint the wheels, but could maybe have them polished.
It sounds like the finish is coming off, revealing the black base coat. If so, this cannot be polished out, as the wheels are painted.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Digi said:
It sounds like the finish is coming off, revealing the black base coat. If so, this cannot be polished out, as the wheels are painted.
I'll take a picture tomorrow and post it. I don't think the finish is coming off. It just looks like dirt that is ground into the finish. I would like to refinish them, but since this is my only vehicle now, I would need to have them do this with the wheels and tires on, but that is probably not an option.

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
Unfortunatley, the high polished M5 wheels are very difficult and very expensive to refinish. Most refinishers will make promises they can't keep. Your actually better off buying new wheels:)

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
If it is just brake dust heres a great home mix for you to use, course if it's not then you need new wheels...But why didn't you check that b4 buying it?

Take a spray bottle

Mix few squirts of dawn
about half of amonioa
and about half of clean water

spray on wheels let soak, spray off, repeat as needed, then take a rag and reg water and wipe off any remaning, should be easy at that point.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jayson said:
...But why didn't you check that b4 buying it?
It's not that terrible and it is impossible to tell from the pictures. I found the vehicle out of state and when I picked it up, the wheels were a little dirty so I just thought it could be cleaned. I haven't tried a few other things yet, so I am not certain they need to be refinished yet.

·
Registered
83 Posts
jlindy said:
It's not that terrible and it is impossible to tell from the pictures. I found the vehicle out of state and when I picked it up, the wheels were a little dirty so I just thought it could be cleaned. I haven't tried a few other things yet, so I am not certain they need to be refinished yet.
Either the rims are in good shape or they are not. I doubt you will be able to clean them any better than what you have tried. Using anything harse like rubbing compound will just take the topcoat away and leave you with more black showing.

Options:
1) when you go on vacation have the rims powder coated. There are some very good results posted. ($80-$100 per rim)
2) find a very good body shop and have them repaint rims while masking off tires. This could end up being a quick fix based on the talent in the bodyshop.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Check the earlier threads on this subject. This has been a problem with some of the rims and those spots are permanent. I know I had mine replaced by the dealer almost four years after delivery due to the same problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts