BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I needs some help here. Sometimes when I turn the car off the battery light on the dash stays on. When this happens if I let the car sit for more than two days the battery will go dead. When I turn the car off and the battery light goes out the car can sit for weeks no problems. Here is what I have done so far. Replaced the battery, I pulled each fuse out one at a time hoping to isolate the system that is causing the problem and I change the electric antenna with a manual one. This use to happen only once and a while, now it happens almost all the time.

Hope you can help

Thanks
Chris

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Sounds to me like your alternator is draining back as an electric motor. I've had te same problem and it's caused by the 2 diode's on the back of the alternator. They should ensure the current that flows through them can only go one way, but when one intermittenly fails it goes both ways, thus the alternator becomes an electric motor. That's why pulling a fuse won't isolate it, it's a direct cable. BTW, if this is the case, you can check by loosening the belt when the situation occurs, and turning the alternator. It will either be spinning by itself, or take more effort than normal to turn by hand. It will feel fine once the battery is disconnected. Good luck!

CGA said:
Ok I needs some help here. Sometimes when I turn the car off the battery light on the dash stays on. When this happens if I let the car sit for more than two days the battery will go dead. When I turn the car off and the battery light goes out the car can sit for weeks no problems. Here is what I have done so far. Replaced the battery, I pulled each fuse out one at a time hoping to isolate the system that is causing the problem and I change the electric antenna with a manual one. This use to happen only once and a while, now it happens almost all the time.

Hope you can help

Thanks
Chris

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wanted to thank you for your help. It turned out to be the alternator.

Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts