BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K., so I'm stuck out here in California - land of the tree huggers, Arnold and wonderful 91 octane gas.

After reviewing the materials from Powerchip, it is clear that their Gold 91 program for 91 octane generates only 1/3rd to 1/2 of the incremental power of the Gold 93 program for 93 octane.

I looking for some feedback fom Gold 91 users to make sure that they are satisfied.

Bueller? Anybody? ("Fast Times at Ridgemont High" humor for the ignorant!)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
****, I was typing a little to early this morning and I brainfarted on my classic movie reference!

Well, at least I know somebody is reading my posts!!:D :D

Now who has an answer to my question???? Bueller? Anybody?

dmc said:
Or "Ferris Bueller's Day Off " as it was called over here..

bueller.. bueller bueller bueller.. Anyone .. anyone.. Ferris bueller.. Anyone?

·
Registered
153 Posts
wolfturbo said:
O.K., so I'm stuck out here in California - land of the tree huggers, Arnold and wonderful 91 octane gas.

After reviewing the materials from Powerchip, it is clear that their Gold 91 program for 91 octane generates only 1/3rd to 1/2 of the incremental power of the Gold 93 program for 93 octane.

I looking for some feedback fom Gold 91 users to make sure that they are satisfied.

I posted a little over a month ago about powerchip. They used my car to do some tests with shadowmans trumpets. I had the dinan software before. Which there was very little difference from stock. From my experience there is a huge difference. Better throttle response and it pulls harder thru all gears. Im sure you will be very happy with powerchip. Plus they are great to work with. Ask for wayne and tell him your a board member.

Pete

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
wolfturbo said:

Treehugger,

I can now call you that because I am now a "everything is bigger in Texas" guy. I recently moved from Irvine, CA.

Oh yes, your question. I have had the Powerchip 91 in my car for longest period of time of any M5. How can I make that claim? My car was the test car for Powerchip and their development of the 91 octane program for California.

I can truely say that the Powerchip 91 was well worth the money. I have roughly 25,000 miles with the Powerchip upgrade and have never questioned this move. To give you a better practical idea of what it meant. Almost everyone here better be able to break the rear wheels loose in second gear, but to do it in third was certainly not the norm. After my PC upgrade, I was realizing the rear wheels breaking loose in a power shift from second to third on pry pavement! :M5launch: I had not intentionally tryed to break them loose, it just happened, much to my surprise when I was aggresively passing on a two lane highway (Trabuco Canyon Road). In fact I did not realize it had happened until after it had occurred when my two passengers pointed it out. Yes, the rear wheels came loose in third with two passengers.

Of course you get the rev. limiter removed. In fact mine was redlined at 8000RPM's for this test on my car. Funny thing is that Powerchip did not lower my RPM limit and I still have the 8000RPM limit today! No, I am sure they do not do that on the standard upgrade and no, I do not take it to that level hardly ever. Fact is the engine seemes to level off around the 7700RPM level anyway so the higher limit really has no posative effect.

BTW - With regards to the high rev. limit, it points out the durability of this engine. I believe that 7400 to 7500RPM's is a good red line for our car and I believe this is what Poarewchip takes it to with the upgrade.

Hope this was helpful. And if you are reading this Daniel(powerchip man), now would be a good time for me to go to the Powerchip 93 Gold program deep in the heart of Texas.

Mark

·
10,445 Posts
I have the powerchip 91 software too. Throttle response is certainly better, but i can't for certain say the car has more power. When it's really hot, i get a little detonation, then the timing is cut back and then the car really feels like a dog. I do know for sure when better fuel is offered, the car is a rocket. I've mixed in some 100 octane on occasion (at the track) and the software really does seem to allow the car to compensate for it. Day to day, i think the drivability is better (unless it's really hot) than stock, but I doubt you could quantify any hp or torque increase on the dyno. I wish we had better gas here!
Mike

·
Registered
530 Posts
Wolf:

I have heard nothing but good stuff about the PowerChip and the superb customer support from the company. I will be going this route, after allowing the beast to breathe a lot better (Headers Exhaust, Possible Cats, CAI...)

They tune to your setup.

Let us know which direction you take.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have the Gold 93 program in CA. Wayne and I talked about the limitations on gas here in Socal and both had a good ***** session about it. I went with the GOLD 93 here in CA for the reason that I use Tolulene to pump my octane #'s approx to 93/94 R+M/2 method.

BUT, I don't always use tolulene - Wayne said not to worry - the chip will default to the lower 91 map in my case.

So I guess I have the best of both worlds - crappy gas and my car performs better than a stock car with 91. Fill her up with approx 2 gallons of the tolulene(FYI its 114 Octane) and I've got a pretty quick car - and boy does it make the difference in the 93 mode!

My .02

Speedmonkee

·
10,445 Posts
Hey Speed... Is this toluene just off the shelf stuff from your local home depot? Where can i get it? My engine won't melt down.... :D
Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
172 Posts
try a local paint store. I buy it in 5 gallon drums. HD and Lowes probably don't carry it - I know my local HD doesn't, but you can check out yours.

Tolulene is great - but keep it away from your nads when pouring it - makes you sterile... (lucky for me - I'm done with kids! - hehe)

Speedmonkee

mottati said:
Hey Speed... Is this toluene just off the shelf stuff from your local home depot? Where can i get it? My engine won't melt down.... :D
Thanks,
Mike

·
10,445 Posts
speedmonkee said:
Tolulene is great - but keep it away from your nads when pouring it - makes you sterile... (lucky for me - I'm done with kids! - hehe)

Speedmonkee
LOL, i've got enough kids too, so if I soak em in this stuff..... hmmm
thanks
Mike

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
you should try putting some 113 VP racing fuel alongwith the powerchip software, the M5 turns into a fighter aircraft!

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
still working

speedmonkee said:
I have the Gold 93 program in CA. Wayne and I talked about the limitations on gas here in Socal and both had a good ***** session about it. I went with the GOLD 93 here in CA for the reason that I use Tolulene to pump my octane #'s approx to 93/94 R+M/2 method.

BUT, I don't always use tolulene - Wayne said not to worry - the chip will default to the lower 91 map in my case.

So I guess I have the best of both worlds - crappy gas and my car performs better than a stock car with 91. Fill her up with approx 2 gallons of the tolulene(FYI its 114 Octane) and I've got a pretty quick car - and boy does it make the difference in the 93 mode!

My .02

Speedmonkee
hey Speedmonkee,

i am looking into the powerchip and since i work at a paint factory i have all the toluene i need, is it still working fine putting in the toluene? how about when you do not use the toluene does the chip still perform?

thanks for any help.:7:

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
mottati said:
I have the powerchip 91 software too. Throttle response is certainly better, but i can't for certain say the car has more power. When it's really hot, i get a little detonation, then the timing is cut back and then the car really feels like a dog. I do know for sure when better fuel is offered, the car is a rocket. I've mixed in some 100 octane on occasion (at the track) and the software really does seem to allow the car to compensate for it. Day to day, i think the drivability is better (unless it's really hot) than stock, but I doubt you could quantify any hp or torque increase on the dyno. I wish we had better gas here!
Mike
Yes this is old....

Mike have you gotten an IATS since this post? If so.... has it helped with your heat issue?

·
Registered
754 Posts
Before I put all of the Dinan parts on my car, I had The Powerchip 91 on my M5.
The software made my car run extremely rich. When Ic ontacted them, about this problem, they told me the hardware tools were all out on loan and they would contact me when one became available.
In the meantime (one month or so),I had the Dinan headers, maf's etc installed, so the Dinan installer installed the applicable software.
It remeded the richness problem the Powerchip software created.
I may be the only person on this Board that does not think Powerchip is superior to Dinan.
I only wish I woudl have gotten the Dinan bug BEFORE I shelled out the $900.00 for the Powerchip pkg.

wolfturbo said:

·
10,445 Posts
Clem said:
Yes this is old....

Mike have you gotten an IATS since this post? If so.... has it helped with your heat issue?
I've had the iats the whole time. When it's hot, it's hot, and the timing gets retarded, better with the iats than with the stock temp sensor in the maf, but the heat issues still occur, just more noticable on 91 octane.

I ran toluene a few times, car definately ran better, but when i pulled the plugs out, they had this heavy brownish coating, so for fear of additional carbon deposits, i'm running straight gas, no additives.
Mike

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
hhmm. I've been running Sunoco 94 Octane since day one with my 5. ...And for two years on my previous vehicle. We get that all over Ontario. Small extra for being so cold. :2:

So I guess I have to go to Toronto and have my car tuned for the gas quality increase..there is a guy there who does custom chipping and has done 5's. from my conversations with him on the phone, he seems to be going things exactly right --- and wants the car there in person, to do the testing and tuning exactly to the specific M5.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
mottati said:
I've had the iats the whole time. When it's hot, it's hot, and the timing gets retarded, better with the iats than with the stock temp sensor in the maf, but the heat issues still occur, just more noticable on 91 octane.

I ran toluene a few times, car definately ran better, but when i pulled the plugs out, they had this heavy brownish coating, so for fear of additional carbon deposits, i'm running straight gas, no additives.
Mike
Mike,

Does octane really have that much effect? I thought the whole purpose of the IATS was to help remedy the problems associated with heat soak from the engine bay.

Then again not all of us experience the temps you get in SoCal.

Clem

·
Registered
172 Posts
deknight said:
hey Speedmonkee,

i am looking into the powerchip and since i work at a paint factory i have all the toluene i need, is it still working fine putting in the toluene? how about when you do not use the toluene does the chip still perform?

thanks for any help.:7:

wow, this is an old thread!
Yep it (91)works - but its not as dramatic as the 93 map. It pretty subtle to my butt dyno.

(I think you (or your butt)get desensitized over time - which may be the reason why I have a bad power fever) I haven't driven a stock M5 for a long time - so it would be hard for me to tell what it would feel compared to stock. the 91 map to me is stock now. I have been running regular 91 lately (mostly commuter mileage) and the 91 map works fine. No flat spots, runs smooth like a great daily driver should.

But, if I pour enough additive like tolulene (without benzene preferably -that stuff will eat your hoses), then it runs like a champ. I've tried the outlaw and NOS products as well - but they just didn't give the same kick in the pants feeling like the tolulene does. I've heard from some of my turbo'd miata buddies - that some have tried even xylene too - but I think that's little too much for my car. I'll play with that stuff on my "cheaper" toys. With the M5, I will stay relatively conservative.

I just want to hit the 93 # -which is probably the most you can extract out of the car. Anything higher is most likely a waste and maybe even detrimental to the health of the car. For forced induction cars, the higher octanes seem to make a bigger difference especially on the dyno. With the M5, its just not the case for huge outputs - I haven't tested it, but I am sure someone here probably has done it or knows more about this than I do.

Since you work at a paint factory, you should have no problems with getting the pure stuff. Expensive here. Maybe you could hook me up with a good deal if you've got access to the good stuff? :3:

Jeremy

1 - 20 of 22 Posts