BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm a proud owner of a 2003 f150 Harley Davidson anniversary edition (black and silver supercharged). I have 76000 miles on the truck and I'm considering selling it to buy a 2002 or 2003 M5. I've always wanted one and it will get better gas milage then my truck. I found this one on ebay... item # 170607759386 in Texas. I plan on calling them on Monday or Tuesday to see if they have all the service records since I know how important they are for these cars. I'm wondering what you guys think? Does the price seems fair or if it is too high? I'm in Colorado so it is impossible to go look at it in person. What you guys think

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-...goryZ133182QQitemZ170607759386#ht_8558wt_1167

·
Registered
832 Posts
It looks like it's in good nick but a good detailing and professional photos can make any car look good.

Visually, the car looks good but what's underneath the skin I can't comment on. Best bet would be to befriend a BMW enthusiast and inspect the car together and test drive.
That's all I can comment on from here.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Wayyy to much for one with that kinda mileage. I got mine for 14k with 90k and it was in amazing condition. Wait for the right one to come to you. I guarantee that car will be on their for along time

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
All looks ok, they have just had the wheels refurbished though and haven't put the M/// decals back on!
Seriously tho it's quite a high price for the mileage, and you can not tell how good it is with a million pictures, a drive is what you need. I drove 300 miles just to go test drive my car, 300 miles back, then back again to pick it up, all in a week! Wouldn't have done it any other way.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Does anyone have an idea what a good price for the car would be? If they have all the maintenance records a trip to dallas would be in order. However if they wont work on the price I would hate to travel 1100 miles for nothing.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Well, 90k and $14k give some perspective for a 110k car imho so this info is posted already :rolleyes:

Maintenance records are one piece of the puzzle but they will not guarantee anything. At those miles rod bearings and chain tensioners are possibly nearing EOL and there are a million other things that need some care. Get a proper independent inspection before you buy, although even that doesn't guarantee anything as one new owner sadly found out a while ago.

·
Registered
434 Posts
It is hard to say as it does have high miles and is a 10 year old car. It may have been parked outside it entire life, or it may have may other not represented issues. If you are really thinking this is the one, pre-negotiate a price and fly down. Also, it is important to ask the seller what problems he can see and where all the issues are (jacking points, bumpers, rust in gas cap area, back carpets from leaky seals, etc). I would think a fair price would be about 15-16k. You must personally inspect it as pictures always LIE. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
There is something wrong with the driver's side exhaust. It's tweaked and doesn't look right to me. Also, and this is just an opinion, but it's too shiny. Looks like they're trying too hard. Also, there are missing pixels on the OBC display.

It seems to be priced pretty high for over 100K miles.

If you are truly, truly serious about this car PM me and I will try to go and look at it. However, and this is really important: Do not trust just me. It's not that I will mess you around, but you really need a PPI and you need to come look at it in person.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I had to take a look at this and their ad made me laugh! I wouldn't trust them simply based upon that ad, not to mention the price is too high. I love the "rare" interior, but it looks just like mine so I got a steal on mine! Love the stainless, er, aluminum trim which later they call wood.

Be patient and you will find the right car. All really good things take time!

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
It actually looks pretty good for the mileage. I don't have much to add over what others have already pointed out (pixels out is fairly common on e39 5 series, btw). The exhaust is more a concern. It should not be tweaked like that. Maybe innocent, maybe not.

You can't ever be sure w/o an inspection (and even then, it won't tell you what to expect of rod bearings) but generally you don't get to 114k miles with the car looking like that, even with a good detail, unless it was well cared-for most of its life (or re-sprayed, I guess, but who would do that on a sub-$20k used car just to try to sell it?). If it's the color you want, I'd say it's worth checking out.

Just be advised these cars are great, but expensive to fix and maintain. But you already knew that. As for price, it's a bit high but I think these cars in top condition are fairly rare, and the delta is only a few thousand at most, which they will probably bargain down some. Most have had some mods (take a look at my sig) and miles do take their toll. If you can get a carfax, see how many previous owners.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Post a request for a member in the Dallas area that might have the time to give it an in person visit. Snap some 'unretouched' photo, give you a verbal report...maybe a test drive. That is STEP ONE.

2-Then negotiate.

3- Pen a deal contingent on the PPI.

4- Fly down.

5-Take the car for a PPI... AT A SHOP OF YOUR CHOOSING. Have a written list of PPI items to be inspected.

6- Decision.

7a Fly home
7b Drive home

GL

A

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
That price is too high, even for a dealer. I wouldn't pay over $15k with that mileage. And it has non-factory colored wheels, which are ugly to boot, and the odd looking driver side exhaust means it could have had an aftermarket exhaust and the stock one was swapped back in but poorly adjusted or it could be something as simple as the exhaust hanger is sagging or broken. You just never know.

I definitely wouldn't purchase without driving it. Ard's advice is a good place to start. See if a forum member can take a good look at the car and let you know of the honest condition and how it drives first. Then, go from there. And taking it for a PPI at a dealer of YOUR choosing is also very good advice. Some dealers balk at this because they don't want the car leaving the lot for an inspection but if the dealer is honest they'll let you have it inspected.

But don't be afraid to look around and wait if need be. In purchasing an older M car, especially since there is no warranty here, there is not much advantage to purchasing from a dealer over an enthusiast.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I appreciate the advise and knowledge. I'm willing to wait since I have three cars at the moment and am in no hurry to find a 02-03. 18000 i my max I want to spend. (wife gave me a limit).

Mike S. - I cannot PM for another 40 posts sorry. But if you are willing to look at the car for me that would be great. If the test drive goes well I can fly down there and do a PPI on it. Diner is on me.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
I'll PM you my email address and we can see if we can work something out. I've got a couple of other M5 friends in the area and we might make a group outing out of it.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Love the stainless, er, aluminum trim which later they call wood.
Ha! No, dude, it's "highly sought after fine stainless steal (not wood) VERY,VERY, RARE." :rolleyes:

It ain't real unless it's been mis-spelled. And mis-identified.

As for the shiny paint, there is no way that a car with that kind of mileage has an undamaged front-end. It may well be accident free, but I'll bet you a dollar that it's had the front clip resprayed. And need4speed, that's not very expensive to do and many dealers will do that for a 20K car. If you've got 10K in a car, wouldn't you spend another $500 on it if it meant selling it quicker and for 1K more? Sure you would.

I agree that it is way too expensive for the miles. And the wheels are ugly.

I would also suggest to the OP that an M5 will likely not get much better gas mileage than his truck.

I would add to that comment some advice to the OP that if 18K is his upper limit, then he better buy a 15K car and keep that 3K for the repairs that he will need. Within the first year. These are very expensive cars to maintain and repair. And at 100K+ miles, there is going to be some stuff to fix. I promise.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
BemmerGuy,

18k is my limit but I can pay cash without selling my truck no problem. The thing is my wife does not like the idea of me having 4 cars so one has to go. The truck gets 12-13 mixed, 15-16 highway. With gas prices goin up most likely over 4 dollars a gallon, the value of my truck will drop as gas prices go up (and it takes 91). So I feel it is best to ditch the truck instead of my Rubicon.

The carfax comes back clear no accidents but I know that does not mean anything but it is a start. The dealership informed me they had the wheels media blasted and powdercoated (I like the dark rims but to each there own), they did not painted the car. They wet sanded the paint. Also the photos are not photoshopped.

I contacted BMW who had warranty records up to 07 with no major problems or work done, just maintenance, O2 things of that nature. I have to find out which dealerships in New Jersey and the other states it was to figure out what else has been done to the vehicle. However I do not know how to do that....any suggestions?

If the car isn't worth it and the price is too high I won't buy it. I know the miles are a little high but if it was well cared for it should last many more miles.

I also made a new friend who has graciously said he will check it out and see if it is even worth me flying out there. Diner and beer are on me!

Here's a pic of my truck in front of my parents house in Cali

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
And need4speed, that's not very expensive to do and many dealers will do that for a 20K car. If you've got 10K in a car, wouldn't you spend another $500 on it if it meant selling it quicker and for 1K more? Sure you would.
That is good to know, though with prices around here, the expense would be more in order to sell the car at all, as I'm not so sure you'd recoup the extra money. Maybe, but I do agree it would sell better with a pock-free nose. Back to the topic, maybe it's better for the OP to wait to find exactly the car he wants.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I know everyone said it wouldn't sell quick but it sold four days after I posted this for $17000. However I called the dealership and they told me there was not a deposit put down on the car so they still had it but that was 3 days ago. Haven't been able to call them back. I did find another one near me with dinan goodies, chip and exhaust but it is LeMans blue. I really want a black one.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts