BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'd like some help getting a stock flash back on my car to pass CA emissions. I currently pass all visual checks but was told 2 of my 6 readiness checks failed, the evaporative system and oxygen sensor. I believe previous owner flashed an alpha N tune. Currently all stock emissions equipment is installed and plugged in, including MAFs and O2 sensors. I've done some searching and understand what it takes but don't have time to do it myself. Anyone available to assist in SoCal? If not, what would you all recommend? Thanks.

Car is 09/99 build per the door frame sticker, I'd also like to know how to verify the proper stock flash to install. I've seen that there was a recall so many E39 M5s have a flash from 2006?

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Hmm, in 2014 I took my Evolve alpha-N tuned 2001 M5 to one of those CA smog check stations just for fun and it passed with no issues. Maybe there's something wrong with your car.

Don't forget, you might need to replace the MAFS after you restore the DME tune. Have you contacted Evolve to see if they have your original tune on file? It might not be tuned by Evolve or anyone. Maybe there's something wrong with your car.

I suppose it's a good first step to find someone who can access your DME and see if it's been modified.

·
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found a guy who says he can reflash it, I'll have him show me what the current state/tune is. It makes sense to me if o2 sensors are programmed out for the "not ready" state. As for anything wrong with my car, it drives/runs amazing with zero problems all the time, so I'm inclined to believe I need to restore my tune. What drives the need to replace MAFs? They are installed and not damaged, to my knowledge...

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
You just need to get the O2s sorted, you can have the evap unset (as long as you don't have a SES for it obviously)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts