BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving my M6 last Tuesday night to the airport and received a left lowbeam malfunction message. I have been gone since then and today was the first chance I have had to address the problem. I did contact the BMW parts people about a new bulb...285.00...but they told me those bulbs last forever and it probably isn't the bulb. Today I swapped the ignitors from one side to the other..same result...so I guess the bulb is blown..any thoughts. Also the two inboard lamps...the H7 bulbs, I think these are suppose to be low beams...they have never worked. It isn't the bulbs, I've replaced them. The previous owner took the fuse allocation chart with him..or lost it ...who knows, anyway I don't know which fuse is assigned to those lamps or if it is the fuse, but somewhere there is a problem. I have the HID angel eyes, and they work fine, the right HID headlight works as well as the adaptive lighting system, however I'm now receiving the adaptive light message followed by the lowbeam malfunction, I'm sure those two problems are tied together and it may be a built in safe guard for a one light operation?? If anyone knows the solution to this or have experienced a similar situation, please let me know and also where I can find the fuse allocation(s)...TIA...Gary

·
Registered
35 Posts
The 2 inboard lights with H7 bulbs are your "flash to pass" lights that only come on when you pull back on the highbeam stalk. They also function as daytime running lights (DRL) at a reduced output if you set the idrive to have DRLs on. In Canada, our DRLs are programmed to work at all times when the xenons are off, no option. My M6 is a 2007. Some of the newer ones use the angel eyes as DRLs I believe. As to your xenon bulb problem, hope you get it sorted out. Can probably get cheaper replacement on ebay or from some of the sponsors of the board. Check jlevisw.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did find cheaper xenon bulbs. i googled BMW parts and found OEM bulbs for $83. Thanks for the information. I'm leaving the country for a week and won't have a chance to chase the problem until I return, but by the then my replacement bulb will be here.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts