BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a DIY for a diff install? It looks pretty straight forward, is there anything I need to be aware of? I searched the forum and was not able to find anything.

Thanks.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I would check out ISTA. They have step by step instructions for most things on there! I downloaded a lot of directions from there.

T

·
0 Posts
It is really easy. Do you want overhead pics of a rear end out of a car?

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would check out ISTA. They have step by step instructions for most things on there! I downloaded a lot of directions from there.
Thanks, can you please direct me to this link?

It is really easy. Do you want overhead pics of a rear end out of a car?
Thanks Troy. I have the diff sitting in my garage. My concern was connecting the drive shaft to the input connector of the diff. I noticed the input connector on the diff has a few drilled out indentations. Does the drive shaft have these same indentations? If so, is there a particular way these indentations need to be lined up when connecting the two? Maybe I am over thinking this and the indentations are for balance to reduce vibrations? Better to be safe than sorry.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Thanks, can you please direct me to this link?

Thanks Troy. I have the diff sitting in my garage. My concern was connecting the drive shaft to the input connector of the diff. I noticed the input connector on the diff has a few drilled out indentations. Does the drive shaft have these same indentations? If so, is there a particular way these indentations need to be lined up when connecting the two? Maybe I am over thinking this and the indentations are for balance to reduce vibrations? Better to be safe than sorry.

Thanks.

Yep...those are for balancing. Once the driveshaft fasteners come out, there is a small slot you'll be able to get a flathead scredriver in and lever the coupling apart.

Just make sure you star pattern the torque when reattaching and do it in a couple of steps vice one so you get even closure of the coupling and no wobble/vibration.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1 - 6 of 6 Posts