BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am considering a Tubi Style replacement exhaust for E39 M5 - dealer is telling me that fitting this will invalidate the manufacturers warranty - is this correct ? if not I need some ammunition to get back to them ?

Would appreciate suggestions ?

Thx

·
Registered
754 Posts
That s a load of crap!
I purchased my Tubi exhaust from Beastpower andd had it installed by the local BMW dealer.
The only factory warranty it voids is for the exhaust sytem, since it is no longer a O.E. unit.
I'd find another dealer to work with if I were you.

hiphoptrip said:
Hi,

I am considering a Tubi Style replacement exhaust for E39 M5 - dealer is telling me that fitting this will invalidate the manufacturers warranty - is this correct ? if not I need some ammunition to get back to them ?

Thx

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
dealer is telling me that fitting this will invalidate the manufacturers warranty
Thats a blatant lie by your dealer. The dealership can only void your warranty if the aftermarket part installed on the car caused the OEM component to fail. Meaning, it's the dealerships job to investigate and prove that this is the case. This is a written law, that was a board member presented a few months back in it's original wording, do a search and see if you can find it.

Travis

·
Registered
616 Posts
hiphoptrip said:
Hi,

Thx
I would call up the warranty department in Bracknell, UK. They have a seperate individual who deals with the warranty issues.

Dealers are private companies/franchises - and chances are you spoke to someone does not want you lose any commision on an ACS exhaust !!!

There are many M5's in Uk with aftermarket exhausts... actually Scuderia Systems, who supplied and fitted my Tubi Rumore, have been supplying and fitting them for their local dealership also.

Speak to Manu at Scuderia Systems, and mention Waseem - no I dont get any commision!! But you are guaranteed no.1 service.

Additionally, to eliminate any doubts you may have, the TUBI is fully legal in the UK as mine just flew through its MOT last week.

And need I say it "TUBI's are the best exhausts systems to go for... period!"

:7:

·
Registered
12,393 Posts
In the US the law that speaks to this is the Moss Magnussen Act. Google that and you will find chapter and verse on consumer warranty law.

Not sure what there is in the EU...

·
Registered
355 Posts
I spoke to Bracknell before I did mine - it just voids the warranty on the exhaust as others have posted - everything else is intact.

I would hope that this is what the dealer meant........

Roger

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
Voids the warranty?! Perhaps the warranty on OEM sound but other than that I don't think so.

The Tubi is a great exhaust. It takes on an even better sound with age. I have had mine for almost 25k miles and the only way to expain it is like this. I drove up next to a Lamborgini(sp) yesterday and listened to him reving the engine at a red light. He then takes off at a moderate level, no tire burning. I then did the same thing in my car and guess what, they were pretty close. Now the M5 does not have the WOW factor that a "Lambo" does in Houston, but the sound well I could not be happier.

You won't go wrong with the Tubi :thumbsup:

Mark

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MAH said:
Voids the warranty?! Perhaps the warranty on OEM sound but other than that I don't think so.

The Tubi is a great exhaust. It takes on an even better sound with age. I have had mine for almost 25k miles and the only way to expain it is like this. I drove up next to a Lamborgini(sp) yesterday and listened to him reving the engine at a red light. He then takes off at a moderate level, no tire burning. I then did the same thing in my car and guess what, they were pretty close. Now the M5 does not have the WOW factor that a "Lambo" does in Houston, but the sound well I could not be happier.

You won't go wrong with the Tubi :thumbsup:

Mark

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
From my previous post....

Research the Moss-Magnusun Act...here's an excerpt that applies...

""(c) No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumer's using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade, or corporate name; except that the prohibition of this subsection may be waived by the Commission if - (1) the warrantor satisfies the Commission that the warranted product will function properly only if the article or service so identified is used in connection with the warranted product, and (2) the Commission finds that such a waiver is in the public interest." (42 U.S.C. 2302(C))"

This means that BMW can't void your warranty unless they can prove that their product will only work with their _____ (fill in here...spark plugs...ECU....mufflers...whatever)

:cheers:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.