BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi every one. I have a question. I am thinking about selling my 00 M5 and buying me a 07 M6. I took my M5 to Carmax and they offered me $18200 for it. My question is should I try to sell it outside or just give it to Carmax.

I was told by a friend that carmax always offer low and turn around and sell your car for more. Here is a brief Description of my car.

2000 M5 Black with caramel Leather Interior
All Stock. No Mods, 83k miles. All Service up to date. I bought it from my company when it had 5200 miles on it and since then I have been the only driver. No problems except it needs 2 front tires and I started to get warning about check backup lights. Except that no problems. All Maintenance done localy at Momentum BMW Dealership in Houston, TX

Thoughts.. comments.. advise Thats all I need.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I was told by a friend that carmax always offer low and turn around and sell your car for more.
Wow...your friend is insightful :applause: Of course that's what they're going to do, how else do they stay in business, unless you're buying the M6 off of them at a high profit.

I think you're usually better off selling yourself. I haven't followed the market too closely but you should be able to get somewhere between 20-25?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks... I never dealt with them in the past so not familiar with them that much. I am not buying the M6 from them.

·
Registered
12,393 Posts
Of course you will be lowballed by a used car lot! Expect the same from a BMW dealer.

Only time it might make sense is if you are in a satte that charges sales tax on the DIFFERENCE between purchase price and trade in value (ie only on the cash you pay)

Spend an hour and do searches- see what the market is ASKING. Then, if it is well above the carmax offer put it up for sale at the low end of the range.

Good luck
A

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hi every one. I have a question. I am thinking about selling my 00 M5 and buying me a 07 M6. I took my M5 to Carmax and they offered me $18200 for it. My question is should I try to sell it outside or just give it to Carmax.

I was told by a friend that carmax always offer low and turn around and sell your car for more. Here is a brief Description of my car.

2000 M5 Black with caramel Leather Interior
All Stock. No Mods, 83k miles. All Service up to date. I bought it from my company when it had 5200 miles on it and since then I have been the only driver. No problems except it needs 2 front tires and I started to get warning about check backup lights. Except that no problems. All Maintenance done localy at Momentum BMW Dealership in Houston, TX

Thoughts.. comments.. advise Thats all I need.
If you give me the VIN I can check on the manheim auctions what your car would be worth so you have a number for comparison.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Sold two SUVs through CarMax. First transaction was smooth as silk. Second transaction took forever. Same CarMax dealer.

Pricing is fair in my opinion. Over a decade ago, I worked for two separate new car dealers, so I am familiar with the game. CarMax is a viable alternative to a dealership trade in. If you want to spend the time and effort, you can always get more on your own.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I've thought about taking my M5 to CarMax as well, but figured they wouldn't give me much above 20k for my '01 with 76k miles.

Selling it yourself always gets you more $, but it can be a pain and take awhile. It's also like pulling the Bandaid off slowly rather than zipping it and getting it over quickly.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Just go to CarMax and get a baseline (worst case scenario). Go early on a weekday if your schedule permits, and it should take less than an hour to get the estimate. I don't consider a dealer trade in a baseline, since it's likely so low, I would never accept it. Of course, you have to work on the dealer prices to get them to a reasonable level.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I've thought about taking my M5 to CarMax as well, but figured they wouldn't give me much above 20k for my '01 with 76k miles.

Selling it yourself always gets you more $, but it can be a pain and take awhile. It's also like pulling the Bandaid off slowly rather than zipping it and getting it over quickly.
+1

I was about to Carmax my 1998 M3/4 with 78k miles. I KNOW I would have gotten bent over on that deal, but I think I have finally found a legit buyer and I hope to have it out of my garage in a week or two.

I'm all about the private sale.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys... I am just waiting for the M6 to become available and I will trade the M5 to Carmax. I might advertise it for a few days localy and see if some one comes along but worst come to worst Carmax is the last resort

·
Registered
12,393 Posts
Throw it up here- no charge, and you never know- might save it from the lot!

GL

A

1 - 15 of 15 Posts