BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my car for over a yr now and its now got 30k miles. I'm considering trying to sell it in the next 3-6 months and pick up a low mileage X5M. The M5 is an awesome car and I get excited when I see it every time and every time think its the best looking car. I do like that the X5M interior is more like a sedan it has the active seats. It seams like the X5M can run strong with tune, rpi exhaust and some scoops...very tempting

·
Registered
152 Posts
I had the same idea in mind a few months ago because there was a used X5M up my way with 1500 miles on it. I test drove it and I definitely prefer to have the M5. To me the X5M just felt heavy and sluggish in comparison to the M5. I know that there is a significant weight difference between the vehicles, but I thought that the torque in the X5M would "make up" the difference. The performance mods that are out may help. If you haven't driven one yet I would recommend taking one for a test before committing. Just my two cents. Good luck!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
while i think the X5 M and X6 M are aggressive looking and are monsters, I think a true ///M car should not be a SUV. Same goes for Mercedes GL class AMG, and Porsche Cayenne.

I can't really see how a true and pure drivers car can be a SUV.

just my .02 cents. Either way, test drive one and what is important is what makes you happy!

·
Registered
49,475 Posts
To be a SUV the X5M iis a great car but it is no M5.

Also, easy tune it for more power: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/bm...autowerks-ecu-unreal-power-2.html#post1965945

Even works somewhat on the track.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="853" height="510" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/r5aL2tn9TtA" frameborder="0"></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="853" height="510" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/cs3cJ8ubNjA" frameborder="0"></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="853" height="510" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rDO27QpUA3I" frameborder="0"></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="853" height="510" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/r5aL2tn9TtA" frameborder="0"></iframe>

·
Registered
992 Posts
stick with the M5.

I got to drive the X5M and X6M at BMW's track in Miramas and I was pretty disappointed in the power. I thought it would be a kick in the pants and significantly faster than my M5 in a straight line... Nope. It's about on par with an M3. The handling was amazing for how big and how heavy it was.

If you need an SUV, I'd get the X5M, but if not, stick with your M5.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Not exactly sure how good of a comparison the video demonstrated here Gustav.
Looks as if the SUV was quicker initially at the low end, but that;s it. Not sure
whether the driver input/skill impacted the result.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't get an X5 M as a replacement for the M5, as SUVs are heavier, and even the best will not handle like sports cars/performance sedans. Also, I would have a hard time parting with the V10 for the TT V8, but it is true that the TT V8's tuning capabilities are exciting. Overall, unless you need an SUV, I would not part with the M5 for one.

afc1

·
Registered
49,475 Posts
Definetly. The only interval where the BMW X5M would kill a BMW M5 is from the startto say to 60 mph thanks to a great start and grip, and maybe also out of corners.

Looks as if the SUV was quicker initially at the low end, but that;s it. Not sure

·
Registered
49,475 Posts
Definetly. The only interval where the BMW X5M would kill a BMW M5 is from the startto say to 60 mph thanks to a great start and grip, and maybe also out of corners.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have owned both cars and still own an X5M. Here are some of the highs and lows.
Highs: The power is unreal, exhaust note is the best stock I have ever heard on a bmw, the technology is much better, the sound system sounds better (maybe because the car is more open), and having all that power and room for all your stuff.
Lows: Miss the Handling of the M5, and the power loss after about 100mph.

I love the X5M but cant wait for the new M5 to come out.

·
Registered
49,475 Posts
Good summary, glad you liked th X5M as well. The cargospace is unreal when you fold the rearseats!

I have owned both cars and still own an X5M. Here are some of the highs and lows.
Highs: The power is unreal, exhaust note is the best stock I have ever heard on a bmw, the technology is much better, the sound system sounds better (maybe because the car is more open), and having all that power and room for all your stuff.
Lows: Miss the Handling of the M5, and the power loss after about 100mph.

I love the X5M but cant wait for the new M5 to come out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts