BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Need advice! Should I buy this M5?

Hi all, what a great forum! This is my first post, and I want to take this first opportunity to compliment everybody on the super high quality of the posts here! Just fantastic!
<O:p</O:p
OK. Honestly, since this is the first time I post, I am a little nervous that I would “do it right…” So… I’ll just get to the point, and give as much information as I can.
I have been looking for an M5 for a while, and this one came my way, and it looks like a good deal, but you guys know better.
The car is a Silverstone Metallic, Silverstone Nappa Point Leather (two tone black and gray seats) with the brushed aluminum trim.
Production date is 1999/07. The In-Service date is 8/25/99. It has 52,500 miles. CPO will expire by the end of 8/2005.
The repair history shows that a month ago:

Customer states that Service Engine Soon light was on. Also, when driving the car is knocking.

Repair: “replaced both bank 1 and bank 2 vanos solenoid packs”

Also, fault in exhaust camshaft position sensor for bank 2. – Camshaft sensor replaced.
There are some miscellaneous repairs previous to that. But the previous owner told me that the vanos solenoids were already replaced few months earlier, so this is the second time.

For some reason… (?) the first solenoids replacement report was missing from the service report, but the previous owner told me that 2 weeks ago.. :confused2
The guy returned this car to the dealer last week, 6 months before his lease end, because he finished his mileage (his quote).

And the bottom line: Price is 36,000 + 3000 tax is 39,000.
The car needs some cosmetics, and front tires are to the end of their thread. (Kumho all around).
My two biggest questions:
  • Mechanically, am I missing something obvious? I just heard something about MY2000 not being the best choice out there, but I don’t know any real reasons.
  • How good(?) is the price???<O:p</O:p
Thanks in advance for all your opinions and input!
Dan.

·
Registered
837 Posts
You can freshen up a 2000 with angel eyes and a 16*9 Nav screen if you want the price sounds decent, I think the biggest question is would you feel happy with the price and the car? a few of the concerns you have mentioned leads me to believe you would want new tires and freshen up the looks of your propsed car and if the additional expenses or reasonable and ok for you I think it is a good deal, if not, then I think you have answered your own question and wait for something that you know you want, otherwiswe welcome to the board and good luck with your decision, Josh

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bmwusa said:
You can freshen up a 2000 with angel eyes and a 16*9 Nav screen....
Thanks Josh,
Sorry for being vauge, about the car need some cosmetics, I meant that it needs some cosmetics repairs. The front bumper needs repair, and the center consule has a large scrach, and all around polishing etc..

·
Registered
590 Posts
Welcome 39er

If I were looking for a M5 I would look for something that is late 00 or early 01. A lot of the Vanos problems were solved by then. The engine oil consumption problems on the later models seem to be better also.

Good luck whichever one you choose. You'll love it. <!--[if gte vml 1]><v:shapetype id="_x0000_t75" coordsize="21600,21600" o:spt="75" o:preferrelative="t" path="[email protected]@[email protected]@[email protected]@[email protected]@5xe" filled="f" stroked="f"> <v:stroke joinstyle="miter"/> <v:formulas> <v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"/> <v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"/> <v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"/> <v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"/> <v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"/> <v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"/> <v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"/> <v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"/> <v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"/> <v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"/> <v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"/> <v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"/> </v:formulas> <v:path o:extrusionok="f" gradientshapeok="t" o:connecttype="rect"/> <o:lock v:ext="edit" aspectratio="t"/> </v:shapetype><v:shape id="_x0000_i1025" type="#_x0000_t75" alt="" style='width:18.75pt; height:17.25pt'> <v:imagedata src="file:///C:/DOCUME~1/Joe/LOCALS~1/Temp/msoclip1/01/clip_image001.gif" o:href="http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/M5launch.gif"/> </v:shape><![endif]--><!--[if !vml]-->:M5launch:<!--[endif]-->

Joe

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
vanos

Should I be concern about the vanos? If he replaced the solenoids twice within few months, is that an indication to something that will keep reoccurring? Or should I consider it fixed?

·
Registered
590 Posts
Re: vanos

39er said:
Should I be concern about the vanos? If he replaced the solenoids twice within few months, is that an indication to something that will keep reoccurring? Or should I consider it fixed?
Good questions,

Unusual for them to go down twice. If the car is still under warranty till August that doesn't give much on street time to test it. Maybe get someone to look close at the car.

Joe

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
39er said:
Thanks Josh,
Sorry for being vauge, about the car need some cosmetics, I meant that it needs some cosmetics repairs. The front bumper needs repair, and the center consule has a large scrach, and all around polishing etc..
Reading your first post was enough for me to say no. There are plently of M5s out there. Definitely get an '01 or newer for reasons so many. To me, the best priced cars are '01s. They're exactly the same as '02- 03, but for less.

By the way, some people brought up their first post from 5 yrs ago and it was interesting to read all those old posts. I wonder if you will be able to enjoy reading your first post years from now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
a_ok2me said:
By the way, some people brought up their first post from 5 yrs ago and it was interesting to read all those old posts. I wonder if you will be able to enjoy reading your first post years from now.
The magic of perspective... I see your point! Thanks! I hope so! :D

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
In my opinion it is to high a price. And Silverstone is not the greatest color (no offense guys).

Keep looking. I bought mine for 43500. is an 01 with a bit higher miles but a ton of mods. One 00 that was Imola that I was considering with 21k sold for 35k. And it was in CA.

This is just my opinion........

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
m5 rus said:
Isn't ths price for 52k 1999 M5 is a bit high...
Am i missing something??

Mileage is 52k

Price is $36k

OK price, but the list of problems is a red flag for me. 2 more months of warranty is NOTHING... if it was a year, fine. SOunds like this car has been beat... tires, paint, bumper.... what else hasn't been addressed.

Just 2 cents...

Good luck

A

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Tim, you gave me good info. '00 Imola with 21K for 35K? Isn't that a steal of a deal?

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
I agree with Ard. I think the price is good, but perhaps the car has not been taken care of...

Like some others have expressed above, I would also seek out a 2001+ car with a better warranty. If you plan to do any of the 2001+ updates (angel eyes, LED tail lights, etc.) that is 1-3K right there. Spending a bit more up front may pay off in the long (or even short term!) run.

In anycase, buy an M5; you will certainly enjoy it!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi ard,

The guy used this car as his daily commute. 70 miles a day of highway drive. His other car for weekend fun is a 911. He broke a 4" piece of the corner bumper when he scratched the stones at the end of his driveway. He definitely did not "baby" this car, just used it as a daily car. His 911 is definitly babied! But I don't think he abused the M5, he just 'used' it....

So I am starting to get the idea that I should pass on this one... :sad3:

The short waranty was a concern to me too.

Maybe I should look for a car that was "babied".

·
Registered
396 Posts
I believe you have answered your own question - you should DEFINITELY look for a car that was babied - you said it - I believe that is what you really want, and that is what will make you proud of your purchase. They are out there, and very close to the price you are looking for. Life is too short to own a compromised car!

Just reflecting - the past 6 cars I have bought have all been babied mechanically - no regrets there. However, one was not babied cosmetically (an 87 325IS) and it bothered me the entire time I owned it, because cosmetics are something that (I found) are extremely important to me.

Maybe I should look for a car that was "babied".[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
255 Posts
sarends said:
I believe you have answered your own question - you should DEFINITELY look for a car that was babied - you said it - I believe that is what you really want, and that is what will make you proud of your purchase. They are out there, and very close to the price you are looking for. Life is too short to own a compromised car!

Just reflecting - the past 6 cars I have bought have all been babied mechanically - no regrets there. However, one was not babied cosmetically (an 87 325IS) and it bothered me the entire time I owned it, because cosmetics are something that (I found) are extremely important to me.

Maybe I should look for a car that was "babied".
[/QUOTE]

yeah same here with the cosmetics concerns when buying used cars.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Id like to add my two pence worth here too if i may. Vanos solenoid failure is a well documented area , and some/most people will come accross it at some time or another. I think that perhaps one vanos unit went wrong , then the other one . it seems to happen that way . Mine failed within 1 day of each other . Anyway , if they have been done by a main dealer the work carries a 12 months guarantee so that shouldnt cause you any more worries. Same with the cam sensor , its not a serious fault.

As for needing paintwork , my car does too. i drive 60 miles a day and my front bumper has road rash . Its going to happen and is no cause for concern.if you use your car stone chips are a free non-optional extra. If this particular car had the front bumper painted you wouldnt know at all and youd have less doubts.
The fact that it has been left as is , at least shows the car is being presented in an honest condition.

My biggest concern was the KHUMO tyres..........
thats the one area that no one seems to have picked up on . in the Uk khumo are the rock bottom cheaper than cheap cheap tyres. Anyone fitting these to an M5 either cannot afford to run an M5 or is trying to save money , which in my humble oppinion is a false economy .
I would not have them on my car...........end of. ,

Bottom line it depends if you are going to use your car once a week or you are going to drive it every day . Me i drive mine every day which means i grin every day. I couldnt buy a car to put away , whats the point. Pound per mile , i get value out of it. The downside is i have a bit of road rash . it doesnt mean my car is not loved or pampered.

Anyway bottom line is i will now get 8 million e-mails about khumo tyres , but personally as summed up by various people here i would pass on that particular M5. I dont wish to blight someones car ( i wouldnt like it done to me ) but it does make me wonder where else the owner skimped on cost.
Remember , those 4 little bits of rubber are what keep your car on the road . Always buy the best you can afford.

Good luck in your search
Regards
Nat.

:D :D :D

yeah same here with the cosmetics concerns when buying used cars.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
439 Posts
if that thing needs that much work , it wont even bring 30k at auction.
he has about 4k more to play with, hes just bs'ing you.
look for a 01 or newer, the right one will come along.

ray

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Dan,

just to give you a little comparison: I recently purchased a 00 M5, carbon black, all options except double layer windows, superb condition, 45.000 mls., perfectly clean history. Price was 26.000 € (app. 35.000 $) at the BMW dealership. I am totally happy with my choice, never experienced such an amazing car before (and I tried out quite a number before!). Sheer driving pleasure so to speak.

This was a good but not a very good price with respect to the German second hand market. So I´m guessing it will not take too long before US prices will tumble down as they did here. Keep in mind the E60 is coming...

If you have the slightes doubts wether this the right car or not then go for another one. There should be plenty out there.
Best you can do is listen to your inner voice. Driving will only be fun if you can sleep at night without car-issue-nightmares.

Good luck! :byebye:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts