BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just bought a set of wheels, square setup (19" 9.5 et 15 on all 4 corners) for my 2002 m5. I am riding on stock springs/suspension, but may switch to a coilover setup in the future...

My question - does anyone have experience, on an otherwise stock car, running 275 35 19s? I do not want to have to roll finders or have any issues off the bat. Would a different set of tires be better?

Again, my key question...trying to figure out if 19 - 9.5 et 15 with 275 35s will work on all four corners without rubbing, pulling, looking bad. I have been told I do not need spacers, so I guess that is a plus, but I want to be sure I buy the correct rubber.

Also, I know way too broad of a question, but as a secondary question...does anyone have a rec for a set of tires less than say $1-1.2k to run on this setup. Yeah, i know I could spend a ton on wheels and tires and get something sweet, but this is not a $75k car anymore. Preference for low road noise, decent handling, and something that will not wear out in 10k miles. Yes, I am on a budget with an M5 please avoid comments on that...this is not an expensive car that should have a $5k setup (I would rather spend more money on my 997.1tt).

Please help a newb out. Thanks!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Not sure if they come in your size but I have been shopping for tyres for my M5 and I am on a bit of a budget.

I am probably going to go for either Hankook ventus V12, although they are directional so will get noisy. Or Falken FK453.

I just dont see the point putting $2k rubber on the car when I am going to want to have some fun every so often and burn some rubber.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I don't have any experience running 19" wheels/tyres, but I would have thought you'd want 275/30/19. With a 35 profile tyre the wheel/tyre combo will be quite large and more likely to rub, i would have thought

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
That is my concern for sure - I would prefer to have a taller sidewall /meaty tire (35s) but 30s is what I will do if I have to.

Hopefully someone with experience with a 19/9.5 et 15 square setup can chime in.

Thanks

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have 275/30/19 in the rear and they rub. Granted the car has been lowered, so I'm wondering what to do... go back to 18s or raise the car...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What is your setup / how much are you dropped from stock height (do you know)? I was considering going to coils at some point in the future, so it sounds like I would be limited in doing so if I went with the 275/35/19...

Thanks for the reply.

I have 275/30/19 in the rear and they rub. Granted the car has been lowered, so I'm wondering what to do... go back to 18s or raise the car...

·
Registered
105 Posts
I don't know how much the previous owner dropped the car by, the I do have about 1" to 1 1/2" (my index finger) clearance between the tire and arch. The car has KW coil overs and Michelin 275/30/19s in the rear. I have pictures, but I'll have to get a better picture tomorrow when it's brighter to better illustrate the height, and hopefully measurements.

Attachments

·
Registered
443 Posts
I had 19x9.5 ET18 all-around w/ 275/35/19's for a while. No rub with plenty of room. You should be fine at stock height (which is what I had when I had them).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmmm, that is really odd - I just had someone tell me they had 19x9.5 et 15 and the 35s hit the front OEM shocks. I would definitely prefer the 35s over the 30s, and I thought 30s was a must until this. Could the 15 vs 18 offset really be that different?

I had 19x9.5 ET18 all-around w/ 275/35/19's for a while. No rub with plenty of room. You should be fine at stock height (which is what I had when I had them).

·
Registered
443 Posts
Hmmm, that is really odd - I just had someone tell me they had 19x9.5 et 15 and the 35s hit the front OEM shocks. I would definitely prefer the 35s over the 30s, and I thought 30s was a must until this. Could the 15 vs 18 offset really be that different?
Actually, they may be right. I now remember that I was running spacers at the time with this particular setup. That would've nudged the wheels/tires out x-amount of mm's, which would've allowed clearance for the OEM shocks. I don't remember what size spacers I had then.. Was YEARS ago.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good to know, I guess I could probably just add a spacer if it doesnt fit. Do you recall the fronts sticking out of the wheel well an abnormal amount? It probably would only be a few mm, which is not that big of a difference.

Actually, they may be right. I now remember that I was running spacers at the time with this particular setup. That would've nudged the wheels/tires out x-amount of mm's, which would've allowed clearance for the OEM shocks. I don't remember what size spacers I had then.. Was YEARS ago.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Now this is really strange... I measured my car height earlier and I got these (Ground up / Center of rim to arch): F 66cm / 35cm and R: 65.5cm / 34.25m. In inches that would be F: 26" / 13.8" R: 25.8" / 13.5". Compared to the supposed stock height of F: 14.3" R: 13.25" I should be ok, but cannot understand why I'm rubbing. Maybe I will need to adjust the camber a bit? Either that or my solution is to go down to 18" rims as the roads here are not exactly smooth.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts