BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need to change shocks on my 2001 m5 and cant find a web site that offers anything other than koni any suggestions

·
Registered
962 Posts
consider JRZ - direct from JRZ web site as Dinan doesn't have them listed any more ( I assume but could be wrong that you can get them direct from JRZ)

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
What's wrong with Konis? They are better than the stock ones. Provide us with more info on what you want (want basically stock ride/handling, want to use on track, want to lower car, etc.) and we can be of more help. Also, try using search feature.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I only use the car for street driving, so the Koni FSD were the perfect replacement. Very happy with them.
You never get a "performance advantage" with expensive adjustable shocks while driving on the street, unless you normally drive at the limits of adhesion on city streets.
But if you track your car, then it's a different story.

Reactions: Trini7919

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I just installed Yellow Koni shocks/struts and very very very happy with them and I do only street drining too.

Reactions: Trini7919

·
Registered
180 Posts
out of curiosity does anyone know what the lifespan is of the OEM rear shocks/struts? My '00 beast is starting to feel stiff (70K miles) in the rear and I am thinking about replacing them.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I put Koni FSDs on my 2001 M5 and I have about 10,000 miles on them. They are very comfortable on the street, but way too soft for the track. They also RAISE the rear of the car 1/2 to 3/4 inch from stock. Check the board here for other threads--some guys cut out one coil on the rear springs, etc. When I do it over I will go for the Bilstein PSS9s next time and do it right. :crying2:

·
Registered
657 Posts
Keep it real! You drive an M5 not a caddy, go with the bilstein PSS9. Adjustable and the beast will feel nice and tight the way it should have been from the start.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i only do street driving stock feeling would be fine . but i refuse to pay the dealer $408 for one front shock

·
Registered
657 Posts
You could go with the HD bilstein if you don't care about the adjustments. Also all bilsteins come with a lifetime warranty are made in Germany!

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
out of curiosity does anyone know what the lifespan is of the OEM rear shocks/struts? My '00 beast is starting to feel stiff (70K miles) in the rear and I am thinking about replacing them.
It varies based on a lot of factors including harshness of environment (attacks rods and seals) and roughness of roads (basically, how many up/down cycles and what have been the magnitude of those cycles). And there are varying degrees of "wear". After 30k miles, at least some cars will likely have lost a lot of the basic good handling but the car is so capable and it goes away so slowly that it will still drive acceptably and you may not miss the extra margin of handling until you drive someone else's M5 with fresh shocks and bushings. After 50k miles most all M5s would be in this "worn" but not "shot" category. By 70k miles or so, your handling is most likely definitely degraded but again, you can probably still drive and like, not lose control of the car. But you won't be out-slaloming a Porsche, either. FWIW, I changed my shocks at around 72k miles, and the difference was like night and day, so I figure they were long due at that point, maybe for as many as 10-20k miles. By the way, failing dampers usually don't get stiffer when they get old, but rather they get sloppy and loose. Do you mean that the ride has gotten harsh/uncontrolled?

Reactions: MPowrd

·
Registered
990 Posts
I put Koni FSDs on my 2001 M5 and I have about 10,000 miles on them. They are very comfortable on the street, but way too soft for the track. They also RAISE the rear of the car 1/2 to 3/4 inch from stock. Check the board here for other threads--some guys cut out one coil on the rear springs, etc. When I do it over I will go for the Bilstein PSS9s next time and do it right. :crying2:
+1 I am with you. I got caught up in the FSD technology, b/c I didnt want to make my car too stiff like I have done on other cars. I think next time I will err on too stiff rather than too soft.

·
Registered
180 Posts
What I'm noticing is a harder vibration when the rears hit the same bumps that the fronts just ran over. The impact from a high point in the road surface sounds a tad bit louder (along with more vibration I can feel in the drivers seat as the rears hit the bumps) when compared to the front tires running over the same surface. I'm also thinking that if I'm in there I might as well change the mounts as well.

On a side note...I certainly don't want to purchase any shocks that will kill the ride quality and elevate the rear end. I had a 328i that I dropped 1.25", and although the rims looked great tucked under the rear fender and it was amazing coming off of off-ramps, the daily driving ride quality took a severe hit.

Do you mean that the ride has gotten harsh/uncontrolled?

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Dinan Koni Call it a day..... Ive been very happy they lasted 100,000 miles almost and even replaced under warranty at 89,0000 FOR FREE

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Trini, what are you trying to achieve? Soft? Or Firm?

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
On a side note...I certainly don't want to purchase any shocks that will kill the ride quality and elevate the rear end. I had a 328i that I dropped 1.25", and although the rims looked great tucked under the rear fender and it was amazing coming off of off-ramps, the daily driving ride quality took a severe hit.
The thing about FSDs is that they have great ride quality but they do elevate the rear slightly (only because they lack the lowest ring perch that OEM and Koni yellows have). They are also firm when taking turns. The magic of the FSD feature. But regular Koni yellow sport shocks are more consistent on firmness and probably a better choice overall. They don't raise the car at all.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
I opt to get Koni yellows only because i'm running lowering springs. If i were to retain the stock springs, i iwould of went koni FSDs...

BTW you gotta do that research when it comes down to struts and springs, you have to know what you want and does it conflict with what you need, because truth be told the e39 m5 is a very sensitive car when it comes to suspension. And the last thing you want to do is invest into the suspension and regret it... Read reviews and frequent other boards.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
BTW you gotta do that research when it comes down to struts and springs, you have to know what you want and does it conflict with what you need, because truth be told the e39 m5 is a very sensitive car when it comes to suspension. And the last thing you want to do is invest into the suspension and regret it... Read reviews and frequent other boards.
That's for sure.

Forget FSDs--you'll regret them.
Why do you say that? Have you tried them or is it just what you've read. I don't know that I totally disagree, but I find now that the only real drawback is the slight rear elevation. I'm now used to it and actually kind of like the raked look. The ride quality is really good for a car that handles so well. It will handle better with yellows but won't ride as well.

I still have an odd clearance issue on the left, but not right side. I'm wondering if that deer that hit that corner a year or two ago bent the fender in ever so slightly enough to give me a clearance issue. (Dent Doctor fixed it; according to the eye, there's no damage, but maybe it changed the contour just enough to create a very slight interference. I'll try rolling the fender a bit. May stretch it back.)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts