BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

Need advice on Rear end rebuild

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  gzig5 
#1 ·
hello all,
It is time for my rear end to come out of the 5. It is leaking out of both axels and the pinion seal plus it has 130k on it so I just figure its time for a total rebuild. I was wondering if anyone may have any tips or possible up for the job. Im pulling it myself but I have to take it in to be rebuilt as Im not really good at back lash and all that good stuff.
Thanks!

#2 ·
If you just want a stock outcome for the LSD, you might consider buying an OEM diff from getbmwparts.com, or do like I did and negotiate with my local dealer to price-match getbmwparts.com's price on a new diff. I then paid the $100 core price to BMW and sold my diff to a rebuilder for $650. Hence I paid something like $1900 for the new diff plus $100 core minus $650 net out of pocket was ~$1350.

My problem was that I had destroyed my LSD clutch discs, so I needed a fresh LSD. Car has 56k miles on it now...this was two years ago at about 51k miles.

If I had it to do over again, I'd send my original diff to Dan at diffsonline.com - Custom Geared BMW LSD Differentials to be rebuilt with a performance ramp LSD setup.

Chuck

#4 ·
Make sure you do the pinion bearing while they are in there. Mine went, which allowed the angle to change, which caused enough stress to break two teeth, which allowed me the "opportunity" to purchase a Dinan 3.45. FWIW I never got a reply to phone calls or emails from the Diffsoline people.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.