BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys and gals. I am looking for some advice. i currently have a 95 ls1 swapped 240sx gold slicktop that i wanna trade for a 2000 e39 m5 project.

my 240sx will likely need a motor refresh or another engine soon, it burns oil due to worn out piston rings. it runs and drives fine. has some nice mods to it. 6- speed tremec trans carbon syncros, bronze shift pads, steel 3-4 viper shift fork. poly bushing all around, coilovers, 350z rays track wheels new tires, 300zx front brakes, sikky swap kit. hp tuners program, carbon fiber door panels, 3/4 swap headers, the list goes on with more little things here and there.

do you guys think it would be a good trade for a 2000 m5. 325k miles, its alittle rough. front bumper is damaged, been in 2 minor accidents said carfax air bag was deplyoed during one in 2001. both rear end. brake, abs, air bag light is on, i was told it has a bad wheel speed sensor its not reading. not sure y air bag light is on. my main concern is engine light is on. the code is p0022, p1562 if i remember correctly. it runs rough at idle. but when given gas it smoothes out. i did some digging and i think it has something to do with the vanos solenoids. the guy drove the m5 to my hosue to look at my 240. he drove it about an hour there and an hour back. the carfax also says the mileage is not correct. but not a big deal. the muffers are cut out and replaced with stright pipes. d/s front door panel all taken apart, he said he was messiing with the window motor.

here is a facebook link.
2001 BMW E39 M5 AS IS READ DESCRIPTION

what do you guys think this is worth and should i trade.

·
4,395 Posts
You need to pull back all the trunk liners and look at the chassis floor and the rear chassis rails.

I hope you understand the BMW S62 engine has many critical parts that are BMW only, there is no aftermarket alternative. Wrenching on these cars is very tedious, and most items are inaccessible without removing tons of other components.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
You need to pull back all the trunk liners and look at the chassis floor and the rear chassis rails.

I hope you understand the BMW S62 engine has many critical parts that are BMW only, there is no aftermarket alternative. Wrenching on these cars is very tedious, and most items are inaccessible without removing tons of other components.
thanks for the quick reply. i know my way around bmws i believe lol, i swapped the engine on my e92 m3, after i blew it up with a supercharger, ive done numerous s65 rod bearing/ throttle acutators, general maintenance. ive swaped done numerous s52 e30 swaps and also have a s54 swapped e30 m3. i only been messing with bmw for a few year but ive learn alot. never messed with a s62 tho. most of the work done by me. the accident was in 2001 at 20k miles. i dont think its a big issue i peeled back and looked already. no red flags. i will probaly take the s62 out and do a rebuild. but with all the other issues, do you think it is worth the trade for my 240..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ive been researching and i think the solder connection on the vanos solenoid are bad, due to it having an open circuit code. causing the idle misfire and lack of power.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
if i were to trade i would try to remove and resolder before i buy a new one, i seen one on ebay for 2700.. alsmost as much as a ls motor i can buy for my 240

·
4,395 Posts
I have no idea what your 240 is worth, but for reference that M5 is worth $5,000 imo, maybe even less depending on how someone like @Clemster would value it.

What are your goals with that M5? Because as a track car it's definitely more expensive to run than any LS-swap car. You should price out the coolant system kit, chain guide kit, and rod bearing kit to get an idea of how deep you'll be into it. The vanos boards could be a simple solder job, but if it's one of the solenoids you'll have to source replacements; the engine has 8 of them:

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
At this mileage and condition, its a project - and as long as you realize that - and want the car - get it, they are fun. But if that would be your only transportation - then I don't suggest you pick it up.

Btw, that is not an M5 interior in the car, aside from the dash.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I have no idea what your 240 is worth, but for reference that M5 is worth $5,000 imo, maybe even less depending on how someone like @Clemster would value it.

What are your goals with that M5? Because as a track car it's definitely more expensive to run than any LS-swap car. You should price out the coolant system kit, chain guide kit, and rod bearing kit to get an idea of how deep you'll be into it. The vanos boards could be a simple solder job, but if it's one of the solenoids you'll have to source replacements; the engine has 8 of them:
darn if its only worth 5k im gonna be losing on the trade, i wanna make it a nice clean daily driver, not tracking it or anything like that, im willing to put some money into it to make a good reliable car that i can resell for a decent price after all said and done, i figure ill do a stright up trade, ill keep all my 240 extra parts and sell them off. hoping to spend no more than 5k to make it good agian. a member on here has used solenoids/board for 300 he will sell me. hoping its the issue. i hope the car will be worth make 13k - 15k in good working condition?? my 240 is probly worth about 7-8k on the low side i hope as it sits right now.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
At this mileage and condition, its a project - and as long as you realize that - and want the car - get it, they are fun. But if that would be your only transportation - then I don't suggest you pick it up.

Btw, that is not an M5 interior in the car, aside from the dash.
its is a project, so is the car im trading. i daily a e90 m3 right now. so i have another source of transportation. didn't know its not an m5 interior.. thankss

·
Registered
84 Posts
Id find out what your 240sx is worth compared to that, I haven't seen a 240sx in these areas in forever. You could always do an engine swap, make more power baby. Or sell it for a decent chunk since they become rare and the market is nuts right now.

This car will be a project, depending how comfortable you are its something to do, but be mindful that it could also turn into a money pit just trying to chase down parts for it since it's a little bit further away from being nice.

This is a rough choice because I can think of 2 reason to get this.
  • Stock rims, none of that poor taste after-market mounted on it.
  • Oxford Green color. I used to have one in that color, it's very striking. Only other 2 colors I like are the imola red and jet black.

I would start finding out how much the parts would cost from different sources including clemster, you could prob find the interior there. You gonna go stock bumper or aftermarket? Can you source one? you already probably out at least 1k out of the gate with bumper and painting, its not like that's a crack you can just ignore.

Being worth at least 5k? Thats a rough question, the only way you get that is parting it, just the rims are worth something, but this one doesen't even have the right interior. One thing would be the car is cosmetically rough but worse comes to worse you could have parted it, but there's not even an interior to gut out.
The big question is are you ready to make that your forever car? it's gonna be easy to unload the 240sx compared the M5 in that condition. He also mentions on ad bad car fax, what does that mean? flood dmg? multiple accidents and bent frame?

Best of luck man.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Id find out what your 240sx is worth compared to that, I haven't seen a 240sx in these areas in forever. You could always do an engine swap, make more power baby. Or sell it for a decent chunk since they become rare and the market is nuts right now.

This car will be a project, depending how comfortable you are its something to do, but be mindful that it could also turn into a money pit just trying to chase down parts for it since it's a little bit further away from being nice.

This is a rough choice because I can think of 2 reason to get this.
  • Stock rims, none of that poor taste after-market mounted on it.
  • Oxford Green color. I used to have one in that color, it's very striking. Only other 2 colors I like are the imola red and jet black.

I would start finding out how much the parts would cost from different sources including clemster, you could prob find the interior there. You gonna go stock bumper or aftermarket? Can you source one? you already probably out at least 1k out of the gate with bumper and painting, its not like that's a crack you can just ignore.

Being worth at least 5k? Thats a rough question, the only way you get that is parting it, just the rims are worth something, but this one doesen't even have the right interior. One thing would be the car is cosmetically rough but worse comes to worse you could have parted it, but there's not even an interior to gut out.
The big question is are you ready to make that your forever car? it's gonna be easy to unload the 240sx compared the M5 in that condition. He also mentions on ad bad car fax, what does that mean? flood dmg? multiple accidents and bent frame?

Best of luck man.
I think I'm gonna pass on the trade. I really want one but like you said it could end up as money pit. I've had the 240sx for almost 10 years now. It really doesn't owe anything and all I would need is a nice crate engine or a rebuild with heads and cam. And bam 500whp beast on the streets.. car fax is bad due to the mileage not being correct. I have an e30 m3 in a shed that will probably be my forever car.... thanks for your guys advice. Maybe one day I'll find a nice m5. I wish I would have bought one years ago with prices were down....

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
I think I'm gonna pass on the trade. I really want one but like you said it could end up as money pit. I've had the 240sx for almost 10 years now. It really doesn't owe anything and all I would need is a nice crate engine or a rebuild with heads and cam. And bam 500whp beast on the streets.. car fax is bad due to the mileage not being correct. I have an e30 m3 in a shed that will probably be my forever car.... thanks for your guys advice. Maybe one day I'll find a nice m5. I wish I would have bought one years ago with prices were down....
I think its a wise choice. Now, if you ever decide to entertain selling that E30M, I'd be interested. :)

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
That M5 is a guaranteed money pit. Forgetting the cosmetic issues, it probably needs $2,000 worth of parts to make it decent/"reliable", $4,000 to make it mechanically sound/up to date. And that's doing the work yourself. The car has clearly been neglected. I think it's still a nice project for someone provided they get it cheap enough and just want a driver.

Good luck in your search!

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
that's maybe the most beater E39 M5 I've ever seen.... too bad you did not post up any pics of your 240 for us to see.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
There's a video of the 240sx when I first got it running. I don't have any pics on this phone. Since then it got different wheels and the headlight and few things were cleaned up.i drop the engine in there so I can move it around and maybe work on suspension and things.. like I said I've had it for about 10 years... one day I'll get back to it..
Vin for the m5. Wbsde93421bz97524

1 - 20 of 27 Posts