BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I need some friendly advice from you. I purchased my '03 from a Dr. out of FL with only 10,200mi on it and have absolutely loved the car for the roughly 2yrs I've had it. I have PSS9's on her, with a Dinan exhaust and stage 1 software only - and she has treated me nicely. Recently, I have been helping a friend look for another vehicle and have been suggesting him towards the E60 M5's and E63M6's.

Well wouldn't you know, now that I've searched for some I cannot believe what has happened. I'm actually contemplating moving to the dark side and trading my garage queen/beast up to either of those two. I'm a beast lover, but I have no idea why this is happening?!

Have any of you done the same thing, and if you have traded what have been your thoughts?

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Well, I wouldn't call moving over to an E60/E63 M5/M6 going to the dark side...;)

To state the obvious, it is all boils down to what you want and how you drive. Sounds like you have a beauty in your low-milage E39. The best thing would be to drive an E60 M5 for a week or so. I was considering an E60 M5 to add, much less likely to replace, my beloved E39. My friend, board member AMP, was to be returning his E60 on lease end to pick up a new E92 M3; I was able to borrow the E60 for a week. Fantastic car, very impressive. However, it needs to be driven much faster than I am able to do on my daily driving to be fun. At more reasonable speeds, I found the E39 more involving and much more fun. At 8 or 9/10th, however, the E60 M5 is epic - an absolute monster.

GL

Reactions: chowdah

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I wouldn't call moving over to an E60/E63 M5/M6 going to the dark side...;)

To state the obvious, it is all boils down to what you want and how you drive. Sounds like you have a beauty in your low-milage E39. The best thing would be to drive an E60 M5 for a week or so. I was considering an E60 M5 to add, much less likely to replace, my beloved E39. My friend, board member AMP, was to be returning his E60 on lease end to pick up a new E92 M3; I was able to borrow the E60 for a week. Fantastic car, very impressive. However, it needs to be driven much faster than I am able to do on my daily driving to be fun. At more reasonable speeds, I found the E39 more involving and much more fun. At 8 or 9/10th, however, the E60 M5 is epic - an absolute monster.

GL
Thanks Kevin, good to know. I'm going to try and research what the going market is commanding for the '03's with lower mileage just to see if things could work out. The thing is that it took me quite a long time to find this one so I need to be sure I'm not doing something just out of the "spur of the moment" type attitude that I often get.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Many on this forum (including myself) have driven the E60 M5, the 545 and the 550. Neither of those are a "trade up" from the E39.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I was at the local BMW parts dept yesterday picking up some misc E39 items. The parts guy behind the desk became inquisitive regarding my car. Then the other parts guy overheard our conversation and joined in. They were going on and on how they still love the E39 M5 over all others, how "reliable" they are if properly maintained, and how dedicated the enthusiasts are regarding this model. Then they both came outside to oogle over the car. I guess the point being that although the E60 is nice, it just doesn't have the same presence, appreciation or following that the E39 has.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I have done what you are contemplating and I love the e60 but miss the e39. There is only one option keep the e39 until you can add the e60, best of both worlds and thats what I should have done.

Very well put, the only way I would get the E60 or the F10 is if I could add them the stable and not replace the E39

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I understand trust me. I've loved the e39's for years - I used to own a 540TiSi back in 2001-2004. My M5 would be a nice down payment on an E60/63 however. Grrrr, I'm in a mind bind here.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
See now I'm going back and looking at past pictures...if I keep doing this the car is going to get pissed and break down or something!

Attachments

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Any clue what you would sell yours for if you made the decision?
I still have to go look and see what the market is supporting. I do not think that low 20's is what an '03 with 28kmi on it is correct however. I would be realistic, but honestly from what I'm seeing the beast would command higher than that.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wow,
very sweet ride. If I had yours and was selling it I too would want top dollar and not settle for a quick sale. Just hope you really like the newer ones that much more to sell. Am sure you paid allot for it when you found it?
Indeed. YOu can search for my username and see the process I went through - long and tough search. It was a single owner lease Doctor who bought it at the end of his lease. He literally sat on the car and never drove it due to others in the stable. Thus, he finally sold it! I found it out of the Roundel BMW CCA magazine and was very lucky. Right now there is only two small blemishes on the car,and a few small original dings from the original owner.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Is the E60/E63 SMGII the same as what was in the E46's? Not the same actual tranny, but the way it shifts? I remember driving an E46 SMGII and not liking it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.