BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I am looking to open up my stock exhaust and have the cats and resonators removed and straight pipes welded in. Finding a good exhaust shop in my area has turned out to be quite an adventure. So my questions are: How much should this cost and how difficult is it? I imagine this is simple unless there are some unique bends or something out of the ordinary. Can I trust a local exhaust shop like midas? Any suggestions on shops in central Florida? I have asked around locally and every reference given to me has been a bust.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
If all you're doing is providing the shop with parts, and all you do is just taking out cats and putting in straight pipes, anyone can do a decent job at that. I wouldn't be too worried because it's a very simple job.

That being said, I do only take my car to the top places around, since I can afford it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
straight pipes

Does that throw a fault? Need to have the rear o2s turned off in a tune?
It didn't throw any codes when I had it done, I maintained the stock headers with associated cats. Removed the secondary cats and resonators and had an aftermarket muffler attached. And I have to deal with CA smog, no easy feat.

And for the OP, you could even go to Midas, but don't pay too much for this, its easy, and they may see an m5 and think $$, :Thumbdown:

I would hit them up matter of factly, minimize the work that they have to do, and time needed to do it, and see what they say.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So as I figured it isn't a complicated job, thank you guys for verifying. I took my car to a local exhaust shop last week, looked at the staff, got scared and never got it done. I know I could do it if i were just clamping the new pieces in but I want it to be welded so it looks nice. I know some guys here on the forum said they only paid about $80.00. Hopefully I can find someone who will do this in the near future. I am ready to hear the beast roar!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I also have a second option, I recently came across an opportunity to buy a full custom 3 inch exhaust with magnaflow mufflers for $800. I would really like to hear a magnaflow setup in person before buying it, I can tell from looking at it that the welds look good and it is a very clean setup. Do you guys like the sound of magnaflow??

·
Registered
DinanS2+ e60m5 6MT, s38b38 e28m5 TT/ST3, e30 TT/ST4
6,265 Posts
Sound is subjective. One of my buddy's has Magnaflows on his e60 and sound great.

The details and sound clips of my s85 are in my sig -- and no problems passing CA smog.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I took mine to a local exhaust shop to see about removing the secondary cats today and the guy said he'd do it, but it would be a cash only job and it would cost a couple hundy because of the risk, it being a federal crime and all.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I took mine to a local exhaust shop to see about removing the secondary cats today and the guy said he'd do it, but it would be a cash only job and it would cost a couple hundy because of the risk, it being a federal crime and all.

Really?!

·
Registered
75 Posts
If you want to do it right , I would go with a name brand muffler(dinan.....etc) and have my X pipe custom built and not just by any exhaust shop someone that's been known in the community. I'm having my X pipe custom built as I write and this guy only uses the highest quality material T304 stainless steel with 3.5" resonators and no _ _ _ _. He's worked on a lot of M cars and knows what works and doesn't.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you want to do it right , I would go with a name brand muffler(dinan.....etc) and have my X pipe custom built and not just by any exhaust shop someone that's been known in the community. I'm having my X pipe custom built as I write and this guy only uses the highest quality material T304 stainless steel with 3.5" resonators and no _ _ _ _. He's worked on a lot of M cars and knows what works and doesn't.
That is really what I want to do, I just intend on doing the X pipe first. Unfortunately, I am new to FL and really don't know anyone around here, all PSI recommended a guy who hasn't been able to come through for me. If I was back in PA this would have been done a few months ago.

How much is your guy charging? I feel like if the exhaust shop is doing too much work on it and the cost is high you might as well just buy a name brand exhaust.

·
Registered
75 Posts
That is really what I want to do, I just intend on doing the X pipe first. Unfortunately, I am new to FL and really don't know anyone around here, all PSI recommended a guy who hasn't been able to come through for me. If I was back in PA this would have been done a few months ago.

How much is your guy charging? I feel like if the exhaust shop is doing too much work on it and the cost is high you might as well just buy a name brand exhaust.
My guy is not cheap , I'm paying him 1600 to custom build my X pipe . If you go with name brand (reputable one SS,Dinan.........etc) it's gona be anywhere from 1100-2400 plus tax and installation. Now on the other hand if you are not married ,have no kids and not a every day car , I would put a section 2 with no resonators which will drop the price 500 bux! I am warning you ,it's going to be very loud and the never ending drone for cruising. good luck on your decision!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts