BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry, I know this is in the wrong forum, but due to the traffic the E39 forum has I'm posting here. Sorry Gustav and other mods...
My friend has an E36 325is, and it is having what I think is a fuel delivery issue. Cranks normally, but when it starts it sputters and dies. Car has 1/2 tank of fuel currently. I'm thinking clogged fuel filter or bad fuel pump, anyone else care to chime in?
I also came across an interesting item. There is a line that follows the fuel lines from the back of the car, and then plugs into the bottom of the intake manifold. The connection is broken, and the cable is just hanging loose. I have no clue what the purpose of that cable is, so I dont know if it is related to the engine problem. On some monitors the pic might be a little dark, and it might do the red x as it is hosted by imagestation.

TIA, as it is sad to see a fine E36 sitting around.
:cheers:

·
10,445 Posts
Age and symptoms are right for fuel pump. Try this, using a rubber mallet or the lug wrench, bang on the gas tank. See if the car starts. I'd learned this trick from a friend at the dealer, and it got me an extra 25 miles in my old 92 525iTa when it's fuel pump died.
I'd bet the hose you see is relatd to evap emissions.
Mike

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
My Miata had that problem. Changed fuel pump, did not help. Turns out the MAF unit died. Run an OBD code reader and see if there's any code about MAF.

CP

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info Mike and Pong. I think tomorrow we're gonna buy a fuel pressure gauge and see if it is getting fuel or not. I'll give the hammer tap a shot too. I would love to scan the car and see what codes it is pulling, but I dont have a scanner, and I cant drive the car to anywhere that offers the service. Thanks again for the advice.
I gotta get this figured out soon, as my friend has been driving my Jetta around, and as homely as it is, I dont like lending it out.
:cheers:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts