BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I need your advice. I'm going to buy a M6, but what is the better deal / option:

1. buy a LCI model (2008) with higher KM (50.000 till 60.000 KM)
2. buy a pre facelift (2007) with lower KM (25.000 till 40.000 KM)

there are hardly differences in price and options but I don't know what is best. How expensive it is to get the LCI trunk lid with the third brake light on a pre facelift? Does it fit plug and play?
Does the daytime running light only work with LCI headlights?

Thanks in advance,
Phil

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
It seems to be expensive to upgrade an pre-LCI car with LCI features. So if you want the LCI items, just buy a 2008 - 2010. You should be able to find them with lower miles/km as well but then you will probably have to pay a premium for both a newer car and low miles/km. The value proposition also depends on how long you plan to keep an M6 and what you expect out for later resale.

Good luck, I hope you find an M6 you really like.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
+1 2008+

·
Registered
441 Posts
While I am all for having an '08+, I would give you the advice of buying the best car for your budget, not the newest year. So if there is an '07 with lower miles, in better condition, better color combo, etc, I would go for that.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
pay up for mileage not so much year
opposite in my opinion....mileage doesn't make much a difference in price at all. maybe a couple thousand. But year matters for 10k at least.

go 2008+, it is worth it. (coming from someone who had an 07 and now a 2010)

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
I'm with M6Cabrio on this one. You will have more resale value with a newer car and also you get to enjoy the newer features (like the iDrive/nav upgrades). However, the drive train is unchanged so performance and handling are the same (assuming your software has been updated). I agree with Blacksport350 that getting the color and options you want are big factors.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
+1 year is most important monetary factor

·
Registered
933 Posts
GO for a 2008 without a second thought!!

No offense to anyone with 06 and 07 models, but I think it looks seriously different and dated compared to 2008.
The orange headlights and the lack of the 3rd brake light in the trunk kills it for me.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
GO for a 2008 without a second thought!!

No offense to anyone with 06 and 07 models, but I think it looks seriously different and dated compared to 2008.
The orange headlights and the lack of the 3rd brake light in the trunk kills it for me.
I can see the amber issue with the headlights.. It's a bit ugly.. But sweatin' a third brake light? The back end looks smoother when it's all continuous paint -- who wants more plastic lights? To each his own, of course, but that one makes no sense to me...

Concerning the amber in the headlights, plenty of owners have successfully masked it (I haven't looked into it myself, but I believe with tape). 2008+ has amber on the front fenders that is equally as ugly (but also removable).

-b.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
The trunk shape is slightly different on the LCI cars. I had 2005 645Ci and now have a 2010 M6, so I've had E63 cars with both trunks. While the changes are subtle, personally, I think the LCI trunk looks way better. The 3rd light was inside at the top of the rear window on the pre-LCI coupes.

You also get LED turn signals and tailights on LCI cars if you care.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
The trunk shape is slightly different on the LCI cars. I had 2005 645Ci and now have a 2010 M6, so I've had E63 cars with both trunks. While the changes are subtle, personally, I think the LCI trunk looks way better. The 3rd light was inside at the top of the rear window on the pre-LCI coupes.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
The trunk shape is slightly different on the LCI cars. I had 2005 645Ci and now have a 2010 M6, so I've had E63 cars with both trunks. While the changes are subtle, personally, I think the LCI trunk looks way better. The 3rd light was inside at the top of the rear window on the pre-LCI coupes, so you are going to have a 3rd light somewhere.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
The trunk shape is slightly different on the LCI cars. I had 2005 645Ci and now have a 2010 M6, so I've had E63 cars with both trunks. While the changes are subtle, personally, I think the LCI trunk looks way better. The 3rd light was inside at the top of the rear window on the pre-LCI coupes, so you are going to have a 3rd light somewhere.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Not sure why so many people feel the 08 - 10 models are that much better, but I love my 07. Maybe if I had the newer model I would feel the same way about it (most likely). I would buy the newest model with the lowest mileage within your budget. Not rocket science I know, but I had to defend my "old" beast! Good luck and let us know what you decide.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Not sure why so many people feel the 08 - 10 models are that much better, but I love my 07. Maybe if I had the newer model I would feel the same way about it (most likely). I would buy the newest model with the lowest mileage within your budget. Not rocket science I know, but I had to defend my "old" beast! Good luck and let us know what you decide.
+1 (..within your budget..)

2007 Pre-LCI without a car note vs. LCI with a note is a pretty easy decision too. :)

-b.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I can see the amber issue with the headlights.. It's a bit ugly.. But sweatin' a third brake light? The back end looks smoother when it's all continuous paint -- who wants more plastic lights? To each his own, of course, but that one makes no sense to me...

Concerning the amber in the headlights, plenty of owners have successfully masked it (I haven't looked into it myself, but I believe with tape). 2008+ has amber on the front fenders that is equally as ugly (but also removable).

-b.

No offense, but everytime I see pre-LCI M6 (usually in pictures online, don't see too many on the streets around me). I think how much better the LCI trunk looks. The 3rd brake light looks awesome in the trunk IMO, the E64 Vert always had it in the trunk, even pre-LCI and even those look much better in my opinion.

As for the headlights...well its not just about the orange. The LED turn signals at the top of the headlights look significantly better and offer a much newer, more modern, fresh look in my opinion. The day I got my car, I popped out my ugly orange reflectors and took them to my body shop and had them painted Alpine White. Looks amazing IMO. And next spring, if I decide to repaint my bumper to get rid of the little stone chips and all that crap, then I will opt to have the reflector holes filled in with plastic. (I did this on my M3, I have plenty pics to show of the process as well).

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Sure you would

(NOT) :2:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts