BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com
<o:p></o:p>

Almost bought an 2001 M5 Le Mans Blue, imported from Germany. The car has done 109 000km (67.7294 mi).<o:p></o:p>
The car looks very nice.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
I stopped by the local BMW dealer and the looked the car up thru BMW ISPA that showed that the<o:p></o:p>
Last miles reading vas 276 540km (171 498mi) !!!!! Got a print of the repair history (Not service history) and it shows the high mileage as well….<o:p></o:p>
Se attached photo:<o:p></o:p>
The owner says its impossible and is trying to find out what’s wrong…<o:p></o:p>
But something tells me not to buy this car…..any thoughts ?<o:p></o:p>
Some German members who can help me out and find the correct mileage ?<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Well the mileage on 2-10-2004 is 67,342 km, but the mileage 8 months later on 10-15-2004 is 27,777 km. So the car had less mileage later in time? Riiiight. And then from there it jumped to 206,110 km in 2.5 years.

Something about the whole report seems fishy. I'd be more inclined to think someone entered the mileage incorrectly somewhere along the way.

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
I would assume a mistake on paperwork. But it isn't too hard to manipulate the mileage. I would guess 27,000 is supposed to be 127,000

·
Registered
33 Posts
With all my respect E39 electronics easily allow to modify mileage in all blocks it is stored.
And the only way to get something close to reality is to check real service reports - i.e. use independent source of information.

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
We have Carfax here in the U.S. they misreport mileage all the time. FWIW it is almost impossible to fake the mileage on a BMW.

disagree. there are a number of tools easily available to change the mileage on an E39, it's stored in the Cluster and LCM, and maybe the GM; but, its not that hard to change.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Honestly without a tamper dot I dont think a silly clerical error should in itself divert you away from that car. If it drives great, if the PPI is sound, if the car is perfect but just some guy forgot to type a "1" ...I dont think its a huge deal.

FWIW, There are tools available to change mileage but I still dont think one can just willy-nilly change the mileage of their car without repurcussion. One can definitely change the odomoter, sell it within the tamper-dot grace period, then the dot would show up later - but I think it takes more than a laptop and some easy to find software to change the mileage on these permanently, otherwise I imagine we would be seeing a lot more "low-mileage" M5s for sale at astronomical prices.

I always say - Buy the CAR not the MILES!
I would never let silly paperwork errors stand between me and a nice M5. Like I said if the car is in good nick, by all means go for it.

·
Company Representative for Valley Motorwerks
763 Posts
disagree. there are a number of tools easily available to change the mileage on an E39, it's stored in the Cluster and LCM, and maybe the GM; but, its not that hard to change.
How many times have you run into this in a BMW? Just curious...

·
Registered
50 Posts
I always say - Buy the CAR not the MILES!
In general I'd agree, but in this case the records indicate the possibility of two and a half times the mileage shown on the odometer. That's a tremendous difference! Also, you have three odometer readings on that report that don't fit with what the car says, plus the other service history the prospective buyer has mentioned. That's four separate clerical errors. Highly unlikely.

My guess is that the only incorrect information on that scanned document is the mileage reading on October 15th, 2004. I have a much easier time believing that one person dropped the leading 1 on that figure than I do convincing myself that four different people, on four different dates mis-entered the mileage.

Walk away from this car.

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
How many times have you run into this in a BMW? Just curious...

there are how-tos posted all over bmw forums. I have personally seen it 4 or 5 times with M5 cluster swaps into 540s.

PA Soft's BMWscanner 1.4.0 has this ability in its software.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Just change the milage back to what it says on the paperwork, problem solved... :hihi:
On a serious note, although it might seem a nice car, there is NO WAY i'd buy this unless i had it sorted out, when you come to sell it you'll have the same problem as the current owner with lots of awkward questions, is it really worth the hassle???

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you everyone for the feedback!

I agree with most of you, for me this is buying my dream car and to buy a car with a suspect history as this makes me nervous.
I also agree with the "buy the car, not the mileage", but what about when/if I want to sell it, than it maybe done over 300 000km…
It would be hard to sell it without some sort of reason why the odometer says 109 000km…

BUT currently the owner is trying to find out what happened here, he think maybe the car have been "rebuild" some years ago and the vin number belongs to another car…
He will check whatever he can about the history, call the former owners and so on…

I also got the engine serial number and the transmission serial number for the ISPA Light, maybe that can help me identify if it is the correct engine in the right chassis.

@ Ride4me

Her is the car vin number: WBSDE91060GJ21508
Thank you for checking up for me !!!!​

·
Registered
129 Posts
There are 3 places to check mielage: cluster, DME and EWS. There is a VIN stored too.
The very 1st place you need to look for a mielage is EWS, becouse there is a great chance it was never changed before.
The 2nd place is DME - it is impassible to change VIN or mielage in it with software (You'll have to reasseble the flash memory and reprogram it directly in programmer)
And data in cluster does nothing - it could be changed very easy.

Anyway, you need to investigate car's real condition and compare it with declared mielage - it is the best way.
good luck

·
Registered
510 Posts
Hello everybody ! Can you give me your "serial number" ? I work for BMW France and i will give you (maybe ) more informations that ispa light. Julien aka Amar, France.
Several BMW dealers (called 7 of them) said that they don't have access to this kind of information in France, each dealer is independent and don't share informations. Is this false ?

·
Registered
510 Posts
There are 3 places to check mielage: cluster, DME and EWS. There is a VIN stored too.
The very 1st place you need to look for a mielage is EWS, becouse there is a great chance it was never changed before.
The 2nd place is DME - it is impassible to change VIN or mielage in it with software (You'll have to reasseble the flash memory and reprogram it directly in programmer)
And data in cluster does nothing - it could be changed very easy.

Anyway, you need to investigate car's real condition and compare it with declared mielage - it is the best way.
good luck
Question : In case of a problem with ABS sensors and/or ABS/ASC/DSC module and so the odomoter doesn't increase anymore, does the "real" mileage continue to increase or does it stop increasing like the odometer on the cluster ? (I don't know if I made myself understood :) )

·
Registered
129 Posts
Question : In case of a problem with ABS sensors and/or ABS/ASC/DSC module and so the odomoter doesn't increase anymore, does the "real" mileage continue to increase or does it stop increasing like the odometer on the cluster ? (I don't know if I made myself understood :) )
Yeap, I've understood you, but I have no idea;) i havn't met such a case in my practice...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts