BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I am looking for a used stock E39 M5 flywheel in working condition. If you upgraded you clutch and have a good condition stock flywheel laying around or just happen to have one let me know. I figure I'd check before spending the money for a brand new one at the stealer :D

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
You may need a flywheel that has not exhibited ANY symptoms of slip. Most clutches are replaced or upgraded only after one or more extended slip episodes. This quickly cooks a flywheel, making it hot-spotted or heat-checked or cracked (unusable).

I would not install a used, overheated flywheel in an M5 because a fresh BMW flywheel isn't even up to the task! Heat damage causes clutch chatter and other bad things like premature clutch disk or pressure plate failure. Sounds like something someone might do if trading in. ;)

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
My flywheel has not been overheated...both clutch and flywheel were replaced when my car went in for its clutch replacement at 29000 miles. I am had the current one taken out since i installed the UUC stg3 for the supercharger pkg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts