BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys wondering if one of you can do me a quick favor. the prerequisites are you have to have mich pss's and have had a recent alignment and are running close to zero front toe. on the pss tire the first outermost line is skinny and the end of a tape measure fits perfectly in it. on level ground if you can catch the one end in it and measure to the same line on the opposite tire, measurement should be around 62in give or take. easiest way to do it with one person is extend the tape measure and lock it, catch the end in line and jam it between the tire and the ground, then pull it to the other side. reason im asking is i installed a new center link and haven't had a chance to get it on the rack yet to set the toe. i measured the old one and set it to the same specs. i got the steering wheel straight and its doesn't pull at all but it tramlines on the highway which it never did before so i think i have too much toe out in the front. thanks

·
Registered
203 Posts
Are you running a square set up? I am and could do this for you tomorrow but if you are running 245 tyres on the front I don't think it will be much use to you. All the other requirements, close to zero toe and recent alignment, are as you request.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no, stock staggered tires. alignment doesn't have to had been done yesterday, just from a car that is wearing the tires evenly.

·
Registered
203 Posts
No problem. Hopefully someone will help out.

·
Registered
10,197 Posts
I think I know what you are getting at, I don't have a measurement but I do have a trick we use at the track. So measure the outside center to center(under the axle or pivot when front) of the back rims and the same for the front. The difference will be the offset you use on the narrower width divided by 2. Take a string or rope and run it around the 4 tires. Ideally the middle but as long as it is the same height front and rear you are good. Tie it together at the front or back and make it tight.
Add the shims for the offset on the narrow track. It is usually the front with the narrow track so measure the string to the back of the tire and adjust the steering wheel until they are equal.

You can do a full alignment this way on a race car, because we can get the string up to mid tire. Not sure how much luck you will have on the M5. Worked well on my E34.

To set zero toe the space at the back of the front tire should be equal to your offset shim.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Just replaced suspension; every rubber part; arms, balljoints, struts, bearings, etc. aligned two weeks ago. Fresh PSSs as well, but...

Unfortunately 275s w/ 3mm spacers in a square set up.

Ready for a useless number?

64 9/16

1 - 6 of 6 Posts