BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone here remove one fastener and take a picture for me?

It would be one of the four fasteners that go in the recessed holes under the engine in the belly pan.

A dealer, who will go unmentioned, replaced my oil pan (stripped drain plug threads, which they last worked on). They didn't replace them (the fasteners) and bent one "holder." Fortunately, no problem, but I want it fixed with the proper parts.

I looked on RealOEM and BMW Parts and bought all fasteners that may be the ones, but I can't be sure.

I have a couple of different lenghts of single turn fasterners (aircraft type), and a fastener that has a 10mm head. Of lesser importance is what they screw into, but having a picture of the female part would be a bonus.

·
Super Moderator
4,850 Posts
Confirming Tyrone's much-more-useful-pictures, here's one of mine in-situ, which I screwed loose, got to dangle, but didn't force out with a tug.

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Tyrone ...

I had bought all those pieces (in addition to a few others). I even recognize the part numbers. And, I trust they are for the 4 RECESSED holes, right? There are at least 2 others that are not recessed, and they are not a problem. I think chowdah's picture is of one of the other two.

Thanks, again.

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Confirming Tyrone's much-more-useful-pictures, here's one of mine in-situ, which I screwed loose, got to dangle, but didn't force out with a tug.
chowdah ...

Thanks, but I think your picture (which was plenty good enough ... I thought it would be too close to the ground without removing, to take a picture, though) is of one of the 2 or so others. There should be 4 in RECESSED holes, closer to the front of the car. But, they may be the very same pieces.

Can you confirm?

John.

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My closeup is of one of these:

I guess you instead mean the three you can see here?
My first question is ... what are doin' up at this hour?

My second question is: It is definitely NOT the fastener in the first pic. (But, I did get 4 of those, and they do appear to be the same as Tyrone's).

About, the second pic. On mine (I suppose the pans might be different) there are four depressions just like the three you show, but there are 2 on each side (spaced maybe a foot apart) and much closer to the bumper (they are near the sides of the pan). Those are the fasteners I am interested in.

In fact, you can't see the fasteners unless you are under the pan. They are resessed far enough in so, they can't be easily seen from the sides.

Hope that clarifies it.

Thanks for your effort ... and, your camera takes great pics.

·
Super Moderator
4,850 Posts
From your description it seems you are interested in the ones you can see here, 2/3rds to the right:

I have a photo library of my car to which I refer on occasion. I didn't actually go to the car on your behalf until now. :hihi:

I confirmed both sides (driver/passenger), and the front one is like this:

while the back one is different, like this:

I would have to guess these are 16's and 10's -- but it is curious as to why the RealOEM obscures these holes for part 9:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=DE93&mospid=47592&btnr=51_2427&hg=51&fg=75

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Actually, chowdah, I am beginning to piece together what I was looking for ...

It appears that there are a total of 8 fasteners (confirmed by Tyrone in a PM). I have explained what I think happened in my case in another post in this thread.

Thanks, for all your help. It was invaluable.

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here is the other type of bolt you show for the fender liner:

Thanks, Tyrone. I know about those as I replaced one fender liner myself a couple of years back.

I'm beginning to put together what I think happened.

I'm pretty sure this is what did happen: The original fasteners were exactly like the ones in this picture (chowdah shows these in place on his car). This is also because I had to loosen a couple of these when I replaced the liner, and I vaguely remember they were 10mm. Then, I believe that BMW changed to the ones you originally showed because they had to find a quicker way to remove belly pans for replacing stripped drain threads, etc. That is why you have the newer ones on your belly pan in the picture you PMed me. Also, there are TWO different lengths of the new ones. Yours is the correct length, and the other is too long. I believe the dealer replaced mine with the ones that were too long, and they fell out shortly thereafter.

I am also remembering that the other four were of the newer type.

Does that sound reasonable?

I plan to get under the car soon and remove the panel to check things out. And, get it back to original this time.

Thanks

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Exactly, Tyrone. I now have 4 of those, too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts