BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have 114K miles and now need new catalytic convertors. I live in California so have little choice but to get OEM. Looking for somebody out of the state that may have upgraded. The lower the mileage the better. If you can't message me try [email protected]
Thanks

·
Registered
360 Posts
I put 2 CARB approved Magnaflows on my car over a year ago and I have had zero problems. Not sure about the M5, but they now make direct fit cats as well.

EDIT: Looks like they only have the universal for your setup. That is what I have and it looks OEM.
2001 M5

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm. I see you are in CA too. I will check the shop where I got my MagnaFlow mufflers installed and see what they think about the Maganaflow catalytics. Thanks for the link!

·
Registered
906 Posts
It is illegal, here in our fine state, for any muffler shop to install used catalytic converters. Only new, from CARB
approved manufacturers, can be installed. Magnaflow is one of them.

Regards,
Alan

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Really? Well, I spoke to Dualtone in San Diego who installed my Magnaflow mufflers and he said he would have to look at my car to see if the Maganaflow Cats would fit. I read him the listing from the Magnaflow website listing product #MF46005 as a direct fit for my car and saying it is C.A.R.B. compliant but he said it was not listed on his sheet as approved for any BMW. He said he could look at my car and see if the universal would fit, part#MF46105, which looks like the exact same size. Kind of strange that this is a question at this point. You would think many Cats have been changed by now and who wants to pay $5000 for parts? I stopped by Euroauto Spot in San Diego and they said they did not know of any CA legal Cats other than OEM... Magnaflow's site shows a direct fit and a universal. I am pursuing that avenue as I did not know a shop cannot install a used catalytic convertor. Thanks for the heads up!

MagnaFlow Catalytic Converters: MagnaFlow MagnaFlow CA State Approved Catalytic Converter - MagnaFlow Accessories - MagnaFlowSuperStore.com

·
Registered
360 Posts
I had one of my CAT's installed at a California Gold Shield station since the State was paying for it. Your car will also qualify for this program. At the time they gave me $500 towards the cat and the install.

This is where I had to pass my smog as well.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was just quoted over phone at American Muffler in San Diego $800 for both cats installed, but he also needed to make sure there was room for the Magnaflow Cats. Do you remember the brand of the Catalytic you had installed at California Gold Shield and passed smog?

For Vantaam, yes, I have code b3 triggering. I changed all my O2 sensors hoping that would cure it but the code returned and I had a shop check it as well. Maybe we will see more of these type of posts now that these cars are hitting 100k and up. I have 114k on mine. Bought it at 70K, and I love every mile. Same clutch from 70K, dont know when it was replaced...

·
Registered
316 Posts
I have intermittently had code B3 (triggered the CEL 3 or 4 times) also but passed smog in June of this year with no problems. I did not have a check engine light when the car was smogged.

I recently changed all 4 o2 sensors and still have a soft (no CEL) B3 code, so I probably need a new cat as well, but since I passed smog and do not have that issue for another 2 years, it's not high on the list of priorities.

Also, it leads me to assume that the BMW sensor for efficiency has a different tolerance than the state of CA....but that may be another discussion.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good to know it would clear smog if the SES light is reset. If the fix really stuck me for over $5k I would probably wait for smog time and reset the light as needed but for $800, I'll get new cats as long as it is the last time, it passes smog when it is time AND the SES light stays off. So far another member says he got the Maganflows in his fixed up 540 and no issues.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I have magnaflow cats, installed in CA, fit fine, passed smog just fine...

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
PS IIRC the pair were under $500 installed...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice, it sounds like Magnaflow is a go! $500 installed? Wow I need to shop around. MSRP at Magnaflow in $206 with free shipping, so just over $400 for parts plus install.

The guys at Dualtone Muffler installed my Magnaflow mufflers and have a good reputation Tortuga if u want someone to seal up your system down here in San Diego.

·
Registered
205 Posts
What is the inlet diameter of the magnaflow carb-compliant version?
Is it equal to OEM? IIRC correctly, the magnaflow is 2.25". Isn't OEM 2.5"?

·
Registered
12,961 Posts
yes, I have code b3 triggering. I changed all my O2 sensors hoping that would cure it but the code returned and I had a shop check it as well. Maybe we will see more of these type of posts now that these cars are hitting 100k and up. I have 114k on mine. Bought it at 70K, and I love every mile. Same clutch from 70K, dont know when it was replaced...

Hmmm, both cats going out at the same time? About as rare as an honest politician!

From memory, isn't b3 one side and b2 the other?
Is there are rattling sound from the cats?

Try one of those O2 extenders (not sure if that is what they are called). Put it on the post cat on the side throwing the code. It simply screws into the O2 bung, and you screw the O2 into the extension. $10-15 or so. 10-15 minutes to try it (helps if you have the slotted O2 socket).

A lot cheaper than 2 new cats.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As far as OEM pipe size, I don't know, but since the poster Tortuga had the Maganflows mounted I assume they must fit.

For GSfent, yes the code does specify b3 which is one side (I forget which), but if I change one I will do both especially if I go Non-OEM as the other may fail soon and it is just a hassle to bring to the shop twice.

I will look into the O2 extension, sounds easy enough. I hear no rattles, car runs good except I could swear it sounds just a tad different than in the past...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Hey GSFENT, I see you have a compact spare. Where did you get it? What does it normally fit as I could not find one that fits?The BMW repair kit does little for a bent rim...

·
Registered
12,961 Posts
Hey GSFENT, I see you have a compact spare. Where did you get it? What does it normally fit as I could not find one that fits?The BMW repair kit does little for a bent rim...
It makes sense to change both cats if one is actually bad since you are not staying OE. But check the bad side for leaks also before you discard the stock cats.

As to my spare, I picked up a 99tt collapsible compact spare for cheap. I then had an adapter/spacer made up and mounted to the wheel so I won't lose it. Since i have studs, the current nuts work fine. It will fit on the rear, but not clear the front BBK (which the stock wheel does). So in the unlikely event of a blowout on the front, I have to do a double switch.

Sometime after I did mine, a board vender also put together a compact type spare. I think it is bimmerzone, but search for "compact spare" and I think you will find it.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
371 Posts
Nice, it sounds like Magnaflow is a go! $500 installed? Wow I need to shop around. MSRP at Magnaflow in $206 with free shipping, so just over $400 for parts plus install.

The guys at Dualtone Muffler installed my Magnaflow mufflers and have a good reputation Tortuga if u want someone to seal up your system down here in San Diego.
Viperboss, let us know how this goes. I'm in Northern Cal and getting the b3 code as well and contemplating my options.

Thanks,

·
Registered
962 Posts
1 - 20 of 36 Posts