BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'd like to chalk it up to the fact that I need to go to driving school, but I was barely able to keep up with a Dodge SRT4 tonight!

I just had to share my experience...I was on Highway 24 heading toward Walnut Creek in the Bay Area. A silly looking Dodge wanted to race and I obliged. What I couldn't believe was how friggin' fast this thing was. We were in light-medium traffic, so we were a bit more dangerous than we should have been -- packing a nice adrenaline rush. I took him several times, but eventually this dude got me and I realized my foot was on the floor!

We never went over 120, but I was still stunned that this goofy looking Dodge was giving me such a run for my money. You guys know the deal...there's always 1 out there nearly every time we take our M's out for a spin. A Rice Rocket of some sort, a GTI and always another BMW...plenty of racing opps on these roads anyway.

So, that's it. Not a terribly interesting post, but wanted to share my somewhat civilized 10 minute highway race...and I thought my new SS cans & x-pipe were going to improve my speed! :confused2

Guess it really is time for the Powerchip!

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Those are easy to mod, also. I had a student at a driving school several months ago who was from Canada, and his SRT-4 was highly modified. We were out-accelerating C5 Corvettes on the straights! I think he said it was pushing around 320 front wheel HP or something crazy like that. :)

·
Registered
330 Posts
yes very easy to mod since turbocharged vehicles respond very well to simple bolt on mods like exhaust reworking, downpipe, raise boost, basically he can spend a couple grand and get 50 HP+ very easily, prob more if he shops around. His dodge runs mid 13's stock, easily get in 12's, plus his car is lighter.

Example with a EVO8 i toyed with:

Stock HP - 270 mfgr claims (not WHP)

cheap manual boost controller $50
downpipe - $250
cat-back exhaust - $500 range
660cc Denso injectors - $360-$400
APEXi super AFC (air fuel controller) - $300
Greddy front mount intercooler kit - $750

Got about 300 WHP on 91. I would assume close to 320-325 WHP on 94 octane. High 12's 1/4 mile at 20psi w/ good clutch and good launch. So for under $30K u can have brand new car doing all this. Kinda cool but still no M5. Car looks like a cheap Civic inside. Apples to Oranges.

I know stock SRT4 mfgr claim about 235 HP and if I recall WHP virtually the same so actually a car w/ WHP matching what mfgr states. Not bad for $20K car also.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
A small econobox can zigzag thru traffic obstacles easier than a full size sedan. This is why fastest time of the day "FTD" at an autocroos is often a Subaru or Honda, instead of a Ferrari or Porsche. Horsepower & supercharging is not needed when you're using other cars in traffic as pylons. Sometimes an ambulance is required.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Note to board memebers...

A stock SRT4 will give a 545 a run for its money....a tuned one will have no problems running with an m5. Come to think of it, if it is packing a StgIII upgrade, with others bits, it might even take down an m5.

Dont mess with turbo'd asian cars....really. No, im not kidding. When you have civics that put down 500whp or supras that have no problem putting down 600 on stock internals and double that with a complete engine build, you have to know what you are getting into. Im about to make a comment that might make me slightly unpopular and hurt a feeling or two but Asian cars are where teh power is. Sure they dont come from the factory with alot but they are designed to be modded and alot of members either dont care to learn about them or think their BMW is invincible to anything except a porsche or a ferarri or above.

·
10,445 Posts
There was one of these at one of our local dyno days, stock srt4 except for a (loud) custom exhaust. Car put a solid 240hp at the wheels. He had said when he get's the stage 2 turbo he should be near 300whp. You'd have to throw in some curves to take a modded one, i can't imagine 300+hp at the front wheels being too controllable once the road got twisty.
Mike

·
Banned
386 Posts
Yea... I remember that srt-4 from the local meet... those are fast and **** light... and it doesnt take much money to mod it either...

·
Registered
487 Posts
RennSportSC'dKellenersM5 said:
Im about to make a comment that might make me slightly unpopular and hurt a feeling or two but Asian cars are where teh power is. Sure they dont come from the factory with alot but they are designed to be modded and alot of members either dont care to learn about them or think their BMW is invincible to anything except a porsche or a ferarri or above.
Especially the Japanese cars come with max output 280BHP, that's because according to the Japlaw the can't have more HP, that's why they design the cars to withstand more power and that's why they are so easily tuned. They will almost blow any car on the road. I hardly ever race them, it's just not fair... :D But I couldn't care less cause I know what I'm driving :D

·
Registered
101 Posts
Gorilla Beast said:
yes very easy to mod since turbocharged vehicles respond very well to simple bolt on mods like exhaust reworking, downpipe, raise boost, basically he can spend a couple grand and get 50 HP+ very easily, prob more if he shops around.
It won't cost "a couple of grand" to get 50HP on a turbo car. 50HP can ususally be had for $5 with a home-made MBC. Even a fancy CNC MBC will cost less than US$75. It starts to get more expensive beyond that, but it's not unusual to pick up +150HP from a turbo, fuel and intercooler upgrade (about US$2.5-3.5K).

When I first started tuning my ur-quattro, I picked up about 80HP for less than US$300. Home-made MBC and an additional fuel injector controller is all it took.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
CarbonBeast said:
It won't cost "a couple of grand" to get 50HP on a turbo car. 50HP can ususally be had for $5 with a home-made MBC. Even a fancy CNC MBC will cost less than US$75. It starts to get more expensive beyond that, but it's not unusual to pick up +150HP from a turbo, fuel and intercooler upgrade (about US$2.5-3.5K).

When I first started tuning my ur-quattro, I picked up about 80HP for less than US$300. Home-made MBC and an additional fuel injector controller is all it took.
Hi O/T question here.

MazdaSpeed Miata, factory turbo with about 185 HP. Car is new so tuners may not have anything on this yet. But would you folks think that one can easily get a bunch more HP on the Speed Miata?

Thanks.

CP

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
I dont know how much more they can get out of them but i have heard of the previous Mx5's having as much as 350 hp out of turbos.

Hard to say about the Mazdaspeed but look for pettit racing to be one of the first companies out there

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Rob,

Thanks for the info. The reason I'm asking is that I've spy pics of the next generation Miata with, get this.......a electric vario roof hard top, ala the SL and the SLK.

Now if one can get that in the Speed spec. Get the HP up to 230 HP or so. it would be a serious fun car, both in a coupe and convertible form. Can't wait to see that one come on to the market.

CP

·
Registered
172 Posts
Don't need to goto Mazdaspeed. This is my old sleeper girlie car tuner:

www.flyinmiata.com

1990 1.6L Engine (stock internals)- FM2 system. 250whp, 2100 lbs.
0-60 (4.9 secs)
Take on most any car in the twisties or through the slalom.
FM's flagship test car: 360hp track dog (capable of much higher boost)- meant to compete with a Dodge Viper ACS/ Ferrari F40 at the Grassroots motorsport ultimate track challenge - didn't beat the bigger cars - but shows that a lot of people have respect for the Team Girle Car. It did beat a few Lotus's one year - if my memory serves.

Jeremy

chunpng said:
Rob,

Thanks for the info. The reason I'm asking is that I've spy pics of the next generation Miata with, get this.......a electric vario roof hard top, ala the SL and the SLK.

Now if one can get that in the Speed spec. Get the HP up to 230 HP or so. it would be a serious fun car, both in a coupe and convertible form. Can't wait to see that one come on to the market.

CP

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Jeremy,

Thanks for the head's up. I'm well aware of Flying Miata. I used to own a 96 Miata with a Jackson Racing super-charger. Rick Weldon, my mechanic, races for Flying Miata. I eventually sold the SC Miata to make room for my RUF. However, the Miata still, and will always, have a spot in my heart. I really enjoyed that car, owning an M5 and a RUF not with-standing.

It will be a few years before I pick up another Miata. Will only do it IF it comes with an electric metal roof. At that time, I'll consult Rick and Flying Miata again.

Thanks.

CP

·
Registered
172 Posts
Good to know other fellow MX5 fans out there. Rick Weldon is from what I hear is a really funny guy and one hell of a driver!

I am definitely trying to convince the boss that we need another Miata in the family. I used to have 2. (FM2 kit and a JR supercharged one). I think this next time will be a 1.8L stroked to 2L and then adding on the FMIV kit. Should be a super fun droptop sleeper car with 330+whp when needed.

Jeremy

chunpng said:
Jeremy,

Thanks for the head's up. I'm well aware of Flying Miata. I used to own a 96 Miata with a Jackson Racing super-charger. Rick Weldon, my mechanic, races for Flying Miata. I eventually sold the SC Miata to make room for my RUF. However, the Miata still, and will always, have a spot in my heart. I really enjoyed that car, owning an M5 and a RUF not with-standing.

It will be a few years before I pick up another Miata. Will only do it IF it comes with an electric metal roof. At that time, I'll consult Rick and Flying Miata again.

Thanks.

CP

·
Registered
661 Posts
It's possible. but you won't be able to do it with the stock turbo. unlike cars like neon SRT, STI and EVO. the stock turbo is very small and limited for any significant boost. If you repace the tiny stock turbo and the tiny stock intercooler with a larger one then you should be able to get some good power out of it.

chunpng said:
Hi O/T question here.

MazdaSpeed Miata, factory turbo with about 185 HP. Car is new so tuners may not have anything on this yet. But would you folks think that one can easily get a bunch more HP on the Speed Miata?

Thanks.

CP

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
I like the idea of a turbocharged Miata verses the SRT4. The SRT4 is quite a quick little car, but the handling is piss poor. I was very dissapointed when I drove one hard through corners, whereas Miatas are a ot of fun. Miatas are very balanced cars, so with more power and more suspension, I think it could be a riot. The stock MX5 I drove impressed me quite a bit, and that was when my E39 was my daily driver.
Too bad the MazdaSpeed Miata wasnt out when I had my Triumph, as Miatas were usually cannon fodder for me. But put some turns in, and the race was quite fair indeed. Anyone selling an old one?
:cheers:

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
BmwNut said:
Anyone selling an old one?
Bren,

Where were you this time last year? I was selling my SC 96 for $10k. Here's the goody list:

Jackson Racing SC, Free flow headers/exhaust: 225 HP.
Bilstein coil-overs, front strut brace.
Factory hard-top.
Leather package with Torsen LSD (that's s trange package, but true).

That car ran circles around my M5 in the hills.

CP

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
:crying: I always miss out on the fun ones. Hope it found a good home, but I'm not sure if that would have been with me. I'm looking for something to beat on in the moutains, and I would hate to do that to someone's baby. Price on >$1500 is more to my budget too.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts