BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been a while since I posted on here. My M5 has become a nemesis, every journey into the garage has had me looking at it in a 'that car needs sorted but every time I try to get anything done, I break it more' kind of way. It's turned more and more into an expensive ornament.

I'm working long hours at the moment, and don't have any time or energy to put into it. In it's current state, it's likely not worth selling. To scratch the itch, I've considered swapping my Lexus for a 996 C4S, and then a Turbo. A 911 has been a childhood dream forever, and I though F it, just buy one.

But that only got grief from the bird, I would still after all have the 5 in the garage, and (begrudgingly), she's probably right.

I have poured a considerable amount into the car, even just in terms of the pile of new bits on the side. I love the car and want it sorted, but it's just become quite literally something I haven't wanted to look at. I suspect from threads over the years that others have felt the same.

But then.....

A quick PM today to a certain someone, and I think we're going to be OK.... ;)

Watch this space. A whole load more money is about to be spent. Still a member of the club :)

Reactions: chuffykow

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
996 C4S's are around, but their IMS bearing is another M5 rod bearing story. Turbos seem decent value but prices are all over the place. But prices for the later water-cooled cars is gradually increasing, I can only imagine the air-cooled generation cars are going mad.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Congratulations on keeping the faith! Looking forward to seeing the restoration.

Reactions: feeblebob

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A 911 would never have replaced the M5, it would just have been an instantly sorted car.

I've been chatting with a few guys on 911UK over the past few weeks.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Congratulations on keeping the faith! Looking forward to seeing the restoration.
Me too, been long enough coming, hasn't it? :(

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
A 911 would never have replaced the M5, it would just have been an instantly sorted car.

I've been chatting with a few guys on 911UK over the past few weeks.
Instantly sorted? Another E39 M5 I think, like you mentioned the IMS failures, this happens 60-80k? It would be another money pit/time vampire like the M5. (I'd like an 997, the 996 H/L's just don't do it for me.) Keep the Lexus, it's a Toyota, will go on forever with minimal maintenance. I have an Acura (Honda's Lexus over here) it is my "old faithful" for when all the other cars are broken.

Plus a big V8 in the UK has even more appeal due to it being more unique there. Here it's just a V8 that can go around corners too, to make it unique.

Reactions: jamiepeers

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Yeah, the IMS failures put me off the non-Turbo versions, hence looking at a Turbo instead. Different engine. I would have got a detailed indy PPI to make sure that as it stood, it didn't need anything doing straight away.

Anyway, off the menu now, got a right load of greif off the missus about it so gave up on the idea.

Looking forward to getting the M5 sorted, spent a bit of the weekend catching up on here and although I never lost the desire, it's good to feel positive about it again.

I just wish I was a bit handier with the tools. I think it's more a question of confidence. I have a technical career that calls for a lot of thinking out of the box and pulling a lot of unlinked knowledge together, sometimes over weeks on end. Yet I find it annoying that I can't just set about a task on the car and do it.

·
Registered
797 Posts
But then.....

A quick PM today to a certain someone, and I think we're going to be OK.... ;)

Watch this space. A whole load more money is about to be spent. Still a member of the club :)

All other comments aside, you sir are a tease.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It has been mentioned, but no-one seemed to pick up on it ;)

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
I sometimes have a similar feeling, although its not about looking at it becasue it needs work (for the most part anyway, does any one have a TRULY "finished" one of these?!) but mostly because due to work and sometimes other reasons, i find i use the car much less than i should, and wonder if i'm being fair to it?

When i use it, its an absolute joy, but when i don't and i'm using the daily for the normal stuff, its just easier to use and forget about it, sometimes i have a niggle of doubt and wonder if i'm changing or not?

Sometimes i miss the days when i had the M5 as my only car, so i did use it all of the time becasue i had to. Of course there are many pro's to having a daily but there are just a couple of things i miss about using it for everything.

I think you just have to keep breaking jobs down into small sections so you can see actual progress better as opposed to a massive list of "oh **** look at all this i need/want to do"

I'm putting 2 and 2 together regarding a phone call and coming up with about 8765347. Do tell...........................

1 - 12 of 12 Posts