BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having issues with the navigation unit in my '01 M5. Up until a few months ago it worked "some of the time"; to me it appeared as if the receiver wansn't receiving a GPS signal (based on the upper right satellite indicator on the display). I brought the car to the dealer and they upgraded the firmware. While this was nice to have, it didn't correct problem. I recently brought it back in a 2nd time and this time they replaced the unit in the trunk which I assume is the receiver itself. The dealer told me the car was ready but when I picked it up the navigation capabilities were even worse since it would show zero map data from the CD map set along with still no GPS sat signal.

The dealer/service manager then proceeded to tell me the navigation unit was not working because I had an XM receiver installed. I explained to him the Blitzsafe unit I installed only added an auxillary input for audio and it just so happened I chose to input an XM signal to it. For grins I put things back to stock when I got the car back home. The navigation still does not work. Running the diagnostic tests available from the console, they tell me the receiver is not receiving a signal (something like "signal error 0" I believe).

The dealer is willing to work with me it would appear to figure this out and I'm beginning to believe it's a problem with the GPS antennae or the coax lead somewhere...

Anyway, my point of this post is to determine if anyone else has had issues that sound similar to mine.

Thanks,
Pat
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,773 Posts
I've not had any problems with mine, but I believe the antenna is a separate unit from the CD unit itself. See here for details:

http://www.bimmernav.com/5MKIV.htm

Maybe you could take a few minutes to double check that everything is plugged in properly?

This page will show you how to check to make sure your nav is receiving a GPS signal:

http://www.bimmernav.com/advanced.htm

Good luck and let us know what you find.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Redshift said:
I've not had any problems with mine, but I believe the antenna is a separate unit from the CD unit itself. See here for details:

http://www.bimmernav.com/5MKIV.htm

Maybe you could take a few minutes to double check that everything is plugged in properly?

This page will show you how to check to make sure your nav is receiving a GPS signal:

http://www.bimmernav.com/advanced.htm

Good luck and let us know what you find.
Brian,
Good suggestion. I'll look into the GPS receiver itself. Didn't realize it was mounted behind the DSP.
Pat
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,482 Posts
Patrick_Arnold said:
Brian,
Good suggestion. I'll look into the GPS receiver itself. Didn't realize it was mounted behind the DSP.
Pat
If you had a 2000 M5, then this would be the case. But for model year 2001, the GPS receiver, navigation computer, and CD reader were integrated into the same housing. The GPS antenna wire should be plugged into the right rear corner of your navigation computer. There's nothing located behind your DSP. Thqat only applies to the older MK II computers. Yours is a MK III computer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DZeckhausen said:
If you had a 2000 M5, then this would be the case. But for model year 2001, the GPS receiver, navigation computer, and CD reader were integrated into the same housing. The GPS antenna wire should be plugged into the right rear corner of your navigation computer. There's nothing located behind your DSP. Thqat only applies to the older MK II computers. Yours is a MK III computer.
Great, thanks for the clarification. Do you have any idea where the actual antenna itself is located?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
962 Posts
I've had exactly the same problem (no Blitzsafe what ever that is).

I can fix it short term by reaching behind the unit and tuging/pushing on the connectors a few times, then I get Satalites received for a few hours, then nothing. Except that the car keeps correct position for days/weeks. I'm not sure if this is due to the wheel sensors or the unit intermittently getting a signal.

Its just like the symtoms of a dry solder in the connector.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
stumbo said:
Ony that I get exactly the same problem.
I should have posted the "fix" for my problem earlier -sorry to all...

The dealer replaced the antenna cable btwn the navigation unit and the GPS antenna. Apparently it had a short btwn the shield and the signal wire.

Pat
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top