BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I've already posted this on the X5 Nav forum but I figured I try home base as well.

I am looking for someone I could send my nav computer off to for repairs.

About a week ago my MK4 nav screen came up showing that it was loading the CD (or something to that effect) but it never loaded. When I opened the trunk I could hear it "spinning" but it would not load.

I tried to eject the disc and it came out fine. However, now I cannot get it to accept the disc again. I cannot physically load the disc into computer. I can hear it "spinning" even without the disc in it. When I direct the computer to go to Navigation, it says there is no DVD.

I tried to unplug the computer and then plug it back in but I got the same result. It would spin for a few minutes but would not accept the disc, even when I wait the several minutes and it stops the spinning sound. Anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong?

My battery died about 2 years ago and I had to buy a new computer, I hope I don't have to do it again.

Does anyone know of someone that can perform repairs on these things? I've been told by an X5 board member in another post to try removing the top plate, remove the dvd mechanism, clean the rollers with alcohol, etc. I just don't feel comfortable dismantling and tinkering with electronic devices!

Thanks for your help guys,
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
It's a DVD drive. Try calling around and see if any computer repair shops would be willing to give it a shot. You'll want someone who is more than a 'parts replacer'... Simply ask "I am looking for someone who can remove the top plate, remove the dvd mechanism, clean the rollers with alcohol, etc and see if they can fix this- I know there are no guarantees, but can you give it a shot?"

Someone will rise to the occasion...

:)

A

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
I am unaware of anyplace that repairs the Nav systems for our cars. I've had no luck locally with the Ard's suggestion, but it won't hurt to call around in your area.

Most likely you need a new DVD mechanism (I have the exact same issue you do - I ended up buying anew one). They are available, but if your issue is that you are not handy then
having additional parts won't help...

d-

·
Registered
430 Posts
Just had my unit's screen and faceplate/cover replaced by Alpine's Allendale, NJ office; $320. Not cheap, but cheaper than replacing the unit all together.

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts
Don't know if this will work, but it is worth a try.

Same thing happened to me about 2 to 3 years ago. I sprayed camera lens cleaner (from an aerosol can) into the slot, and it has been perfect ever since. Seems like it is worth a try, as the price is right.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts