BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In "options" there's a setting for the navigation volume. I seem to remember that it turned up or down the volume that the lady screamed instructions to you at. IT's stuck now, and my dealer says that that setting only affects the volume of the MUSIC that she's talking over. Which one of us is nuts? Isn't it supposed to adjust the volume of the speech? :confused2

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
The volume control in the NAV is a relative volume of the speech to the muting of the music. It does control the volume of the speech. There is an absolute adjustment of the volume of the NAV speech, which I had to adjust once. Even at maximum volume in the adjustment BMW gave to the customer, the volume level was still too low. Here is how I adjusted the absolute volume:

1. Turn on the Ignition to Position 1 (Accessory power).

2. Turn on the radio, and adjust the volume to a normal listening level.

3. Press the right round knob to clear the "Accept" legal page.

4. Go to Menu, Settings, NAV Volume, and press the right round button. Adjust the NAV volume to the maximum and see how loud the NAV wench is. Setting this now will also allow an easy way to check the new settings when we finish.

5. Turn the Ignition off, then turn back on all the way to Position 2 (Run) this time, but do not start the car.

6. Immediately Press and hold the rectangular "Select" button found on the right column of buttons. Hold for at least 15 seconds.

7. Briefly release the "Select" button and then press it again until the submenu Titled “SERVICE” comes up. Navigate this sub-menu by pressing the button under the "Select" button that has the < arrow and the > arrow on it. Please note that the country settings in the service sub-menu has no effect on the NAV, and changing it will not change feet to yards, or remove the “Accept” legal screen. It will change the radio band, and give you a Euro group of radio functions. FM works OK, but AM does not work at all. Pretty cool to play with if you dare.

8. Select TP-Volume. This setting has a value range of -9 to +9. Use the station/track selection buttons on the left column of buttons. The button labeled "1" makes the value less, "2" makes the value higher. I selected +9. You can alter this later if you don't like it. This setting establishes the NAV wench absolute volume.

9. You can also navigate to the speed-sensitive volume level by pressing the < or > arrows to get to the GAL selection. This item has a value of 1 - 6. Press the number button on the left-side column (1-6) that you want to set this at. I set it at 5. This produces a marked increase in volume at speed to compensate for increased road noise due to speed.

10. Turn Ignition off.

11. Turn Ignition back on to Position 1 (ACC).

12. NAV volume is probably still selected. Just adjust the right knob and see if you like the volume change in the NAV wench's voice. Also notice that it will completely mute the radio when the NAV wench is speaking if set at or near MAX. If you don't like anything, just follow the instructions and adjust to your preferences.

·
Registered
103 Posts
6. Immediately Press and hold the rectangular "Select" button found on the right column of buttons. Hold for at least 15 seconds.
sorry to bring up an old post but this step just isnt working for me, I have a 2001 and a mk 3 navi (widescreen, i think its mk 3, uses cds) and when i hit the select button the area where it has the station listed will say 'press on' or "press off" depending on what it was before but i get no submenu or anything.

Please help!

oh yeah p.s. what i want to do is turn off the navi voice completely. I find it very annoying that it interrupts my music just to tell me to stay on the freakin highway. I KNOW to stay on the highway. Just leave me be, lol

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts
oh yeah p.s. what i want to do is turn off the navi voice completely.
Easy to do ... there is a menu item (press the button while viewing the NAV) and you can get (somehow) a red cross hatch on the speaker logo on the instructions line (I'm not in the car now, so I don't remember precisely). That will turn OFF the voice, but still direct you to your destination.

If you still can't figure it out, PM me and I will figure it out and let you know.

·
Registered
632 Posts
There is also an issue with the BM54 radio module that seems to be failing, which means that the nav volume can be adjusted in the menu. Also, if pushing the left rotary knob to turn off the radio/cd will result in much louder nav volume.

I had this on my 530d and also on the M5, and still need to have the dealer to look at it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
sorry to bring up an old post but this step just isnt working for me, I have a 2001 and a mk 3 navi (widescreen, i think its mk 3, uses cds) and when i hit the select button the area where it has the station listed will say 'press on' or "press off" depending on what it was before but i get no submenu or anything.

Please help!
Sorry for necroing this older thread, but I just found the solution to this problem (which I was also having) is actually listed in another thread:
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=8109

So if you're still having the same problem, there is the solution that worked for me!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.