BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,817 Posts
Thanks for the info and the link, I just installed it myself. This is an impressive update - IMO, far better than than last three updates combined!

I'm posting not to brag, but to give folks some confidence that the upgrade works (at least on my MK IV).



-Bill :cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
ELEVENS said:
IMO, far better than than last three updates combined!
Give us details.

Also, a business idea for someone: Sell a copy of your burned upgraded software DVD. Not all of us have broadband capabilities at home, CD-Rom burners or DVD burners.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,817 Posts
The link provided by dchen (X5world) contains the details. Basically, the map graphics are MUCH cleaner, more attractive and contemporary-looking. Better map colors, names & wording have a nice-looking chisel-type font, icons (such as gas stations, restaurants) can be turned on/off. The current-location circle/triangle has been cleaned up to a single small white triangle inside a white circle. Map positioning (Direction/North) stays where you put it, instead of switching to North after Range values increase.

Like one poster on X5World said, it's like going from DOS to Windows.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
262 Posts
yeah v2.6, as described, is much better than previous revs and cleaner. we did a few installs at our bay area meet yesterday. it also works for cd-based navs unlike v2.5.

-joe
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
10,458 Posts
Goody4 said:
Give us details.

Also, a business idea for someone: Sell a copy of your burned upgraded software DVD. Not all of us have broadband capabilities at home, CD-Rom burners or DVD burners.
I'm downloading a copy of v26, if it works, i'll pass on the cd.
Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
129 Posts
I'd like one too please. Please let me know shipping and handling. I would do it but working too much, trying to pay for the car itself. Again thanks in advance. I would appreciate it from anyone who has alraeady done it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,398 Posts
We all know that copying and distributing may be a violation of BMW copyright... maybe be a bit more circumspect (use PMs) and maybe know who's asking... no need to tempt fate.

My 2 cents.

A
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,448 Posts
mottati said:
I just burned a cd of v26, if it works, i'll post back and you can pm me your info and i'll pass my cd on to you. No need to sell them here!
Mike
Mottati,

do you have the DVD based nav, or CD-ROM base nav.

I have CD-Room base nav and interested on this as well if does work ..


Keep us posted

Regardz,

J Irwan
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
10,458 Posts
i have a dvd nav. So far, no good for me. I'm going to try a difference disc tomorrow. I get "incorrect cd/dvd in drive, please insert correct disc"....
Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
723 Posts
works with 4:3 display also...

Installed v26 last night on my upgraded MKII --> MKIV MY2000 M5 with 4:3 screen. Worked flawlessly. I think it's a huge improvement in color scheme.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
291 Posts
Re: works with 4:3 display also...

is it me or does the map rotate too much with the new upgrade? I upgraded it and am totally happy with the look but for some reason I don't remember the map turning all the time for each turn. Is this right ? I don't mind it at all just though it felt a bt different.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,817 Posts
Re: works with 4:3 display also...

bimmer23 said:
is it me or does the map rotate too much with the new upgrade? ...
Didn't the old software switch the "MAP POSITIONING" to "POINTING NORTH" above a certain SCALE? The V26 software stays in "TRAVEL DIRECTION" until RANGE = 250. For example, with the new software, change the RANGE to 100 miles and it looks really strange to see an upside-down Michigan Map when traveling in a Southerly direction. The old software seemed better in this respect.

Maybe that's what you are experiencing?

-Bill
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
291 Posts
Re: works with 4:3 display also...

ELEVENS said:
Didn't the old software switch the "MAP POSITIONING" to "POINTING NORTH" above a certain SCALE? The V26 software stays in "TRAVEL DIRECTION" until RANGE = 250. For example, with the new software, change the RANGE to 100 miles and it looks really strange to see an upside-down Michigan Map when traveling in a Southerly direction. The old software seemed better in this respect.

Maybe that's what you are experiencing?

-Bill
I agree. Yes this is exactly what I am talking about. I is not terrible but does take a little getting use to.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
10,458 Posts
ok, well i've done this before, but for some reason i've had no luck this time around (nor last with v25). I followed the instructions exactly, used 4 different cds and my nav says "please insert the correct cd/dvd" or something like that... I'm wondering if it's something with my laptops cd burner or something related with my hardware to make the disc...
Yes, i am using a good CDr, not a RW, i'm using all of the same software as on x5 world, except my slowest speed is 4x.

Any thoughts?
Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
207 Posts
Mike,

There's only two possible reasons for your burns not working: the CD and/or the computer. Try a different brand of CD and try to burn it on another computer (desktop) if you can get a hold of one.

Joe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
291 Posts
mottati said:
ok, well i've done this before, but for some reason i've had no luck this time around (nor last with v25). I followed the instructions exactly, used 4 different cds and my nav says "please insert the correct cd/dvd" or something like that... I'm wondering if it's something with my laptops cd burner or something related with my hardware to make the disc...
Yes, i am using a good CDr, not a RW, i'm using all of the same software as on x5 world, except my slowest speed is 4x.

Any thoughts?
Mike
How much time allowing it say this message after putting the CD in ? The reason is that after I put my CD in I got a message saying Please insert the NAV CD. I didn't and waited about 20 seconds then it suddenly appeared saying Loading Software, etc. and my screen went blank for like 30 -40 second (at this point I was like WTF, the thing screwed my Nav). Then after that it was a breeze. My write speed was also 4x.

Just keep this in mind I am not sure how long after you put in the CD are you allowing it to do the load. Form me it took 15 to 20 seconds to load.


Late
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
354 Posts
cebu said:
yeah v2.6, as described, is much better than previous revs and cleaner. we did a few installs at our bay area meet yesterday. it also works for cd-based navs unlike v2.5.

-joe
Just want to clarify and make sure, apologize in advance.

After I read the warning on the x5 thread saying it will NOT work on cd based (nav other than MKIV) I feel I need to ask if someone has successfully done the install on a MKII or MKIII cd-based nav and that it does upgrade the system. Thanks.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
10,458 Posts
I've let it stay in there until the cd stops running, a few minutes, nothing happens on the monitor. I tried 3 different brands of CDR, (two of which i've used before) so i'm wondering if it's my laptop.
Mike

bimmer23 said:
How much time allowing it say this message after putting the CD in ? The reason is that after I put my CD in I got a message saying Please insert the NAV CD. I didn't and waited about 20 seconds then it suddenly appeared saying Loading Software, etc. and my screen went blank for like 30 -40 second (at this point I was like WTF, the thing screwed my Nav). Then after that it was a breeze. My write speed was also 4x.

Just keep this in mind I am not sure how long after you put in the CD are you allowing it to do the load. Form me it took 15 to 20 seconds to load.


Late
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
354 Posts
Just tried it on my 2001 MKII cd based. Seems like it doesn't update as after the second screen where it tells you to wait up to 6 minutes, it just says your system is up to date. My version remained at ....63. Guess they stopped any updates on the older cd based navs. grrrrrrr
 
1 - 20 of 64 Posts
Top