BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure whether this is in the manual or not, but after 3000 miles I finally figured out why there were sometimes weird symbols on the map.

Turns out that if you ever use the "find points of interest near the current location" (I can't remember what its called exactly) - and pick a category, a symbol for that category will show up on the map everywhere there is a known place of that category. For example, if you choose "restaurants", you will then start seeing a crossed knife and fork symbol (I thought they were X's until I figured this out) all over the map.

The symbols for each category are different, but they do NOT go away with a power-down/restart. I think all you can do to "clean up" the map is to pick something there aren't too many of.

Now you know.

/Greg

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
They don't go away with power up/down, but you can simply delete destination or whatever the option is and it'll clean it up. Or pick a newpoint and show the route or something. Anything that requires adifferent destination. It also works if you try top find directions/route with the same location again. or it does for me anyways.

hope that helps,
--Dan

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Anyone know how to get a map of the current location without entering a destination?

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Anyone know how to get a map of the current location without entering a destination?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Barry:

Yes.

I'm not in my car right now, but if I remember correctly you want to go into GPS and then there's an Information button and then Current Location and then Street Map will bring up a local map.

When I first got my car I did this a lot just for laughs.

It's not as funny anymore ;-)

Shawn

·
Registered
73 Posts
Yeah, to see a map of the current location you just have to scroll down past the bottom of the options and you'll get the next "page" of options which is just "information". Select that and then select the show map option.

My question is: How do you show a map of somewhere you're not. I want to see the detailed street map of my destination. Right now, all I've figured out how to do is zoom out the scale until the destination shows up on the same map screen as where you are. That method doesn't work very well if you're going more than a few miles away. You end up at the 5 or 10 mile scale and then you can't tell crap about the destination.

Rick

·
Banned
121 Posts
One word...the BMW Navigation is mud.

If anyone of you have used the Lexus Nav, you'll know what I mean. I think BMW did a sloppy job putting together the Nav system just so that they can match their competitors. In my opinion, it is a disgrace to German technology. The Lexus Nav has the following features:

1) touch screen
2) Destination search (instead of having to key in the city first, you can simply tell the nav that you're looking for e.g.Disneyland)
3) Directories of restaurants, night clubs, bars etc (actually has phone numbers to these locations)
4) scrollable maps with every street named (unlike the nav we have that only name the main streets)
5) more intelligent than the BMW nav. It gets me to the destination faster.
6) 10 times faster than the BMW nav..when I miss a turn, the BMW nav will only reroute me after Christmas.

I am totally unhappy with the navigation system BMW has. It is so bad(at times) that I have to use a map to get the city name first. On smaller cities like Wantage Township, in the case of our Highpoint trips, the cities are not even named on the map. I had to drive around the area and keep pushing the "information on current location" button to see if Highpoint State Park was listed.

What's the point of having the navigation system if you need to know the area first before you could use it? The reason why we need navigation is because we don't know the area. It's the most idiotic device I've seen in decades.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I believe BMW NAV system(H/W & S/W) is provided an US-based company called Navigation Technologies Corp. in Sunnyvale.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
I'd have to agree. The system is sort of crappy, esp. in comparison to the Lexus system. But, I wouldn't rely on it anyways. Sure, it's nice to have for fun or long trips or something, but I wouldn't actually base short-distance trips on it.

--Dan

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Another question:
Why did they put the stupid DVD player for the direction disc readily accessible (e.g. cut hole on the right, whereas you have to life that stupid panel to get to the cd changer? I mean, how often do you change Nav discs (or should I be expected another one in the mail shortly??)

--Dan

·
Banned
96 Posts
Amfung is absolutely correct---the NAV system is provided by a U.S. based company, so you can't really blame BMW for the design, only the choice of supplier. How much more pathetic can that be than for a U.S. supplier not being able to get it's own country's routes correctly!?!?!

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was under the impression the system was engineered by Becker - a German company. I believe the MAP DATA is from Navigation Techn ologies, but not the software.

Yes, I wish it were touch screen.

BUT - I have found that, when I truly don't know where I'm going, it gets me there. I have learned to trust it, and it reduces driving stress. Frankly, the map is a gimmick anyway. I find the big block arrows with current location at the bottom and next turn at the top, together with distance to it, is far more practical.

Anyway, we're stuck with it. I only wish someone would figure out how to replace the voice with my choice - New Jersey Cabbie "Yo, Mac - take da next left." Or Insults: "You idiot! You missed the offramp! That's the second time in 3 days!" But mostly, I'd just like an elegant female british accent to talk to me - not "One Quadder of a mile".

And lady, it's NOT an exit - it's an ONRAMP.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Does anyone know if the nav software is upgradeable?

Maybe they (or an aftermarket supplier) will offer an upgrade in the future to fix these problems.

My fiance drives an Acura 3.2 TL with the Nav unit. I paid the extra money for it because I wanted the toy, but it's turned out to be extremely useful.

I don't take delivery of my M5 until August, so I don't know how the two compare yet, but it doesn't sound too good based on what I'm reading here.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I find that the Nav usually get you to your destination but certainly not the fastest way. I find that when I am on a highway, the system has me exit way to soon.

Does anyone else make a system that can be installed in the M5?

How far away are we from voice recognition systems for the Nav?

Dan

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have to agree with the rest of you on the NAV system. I had it in my 97 540i and it is a good conversation piece and that's where the "good" ends. I used it several times for getting me to the "approximate" location. I drove an Audi A6 with NAV. What a great system. No map, but you can program in the full street address and it will take you to the front door. I know they are redesigning the system for the newer cars. The new 3's have an upgraded system without a screen, but I have not seen the system work. The map is almost useless on the present system. They should do away with it and use the extra space for a single CD with the trunk mount as extra capacity. (I guess the German theory on trip planning is to decide what music to listen to BEFORE you get in the car.)
...my 2 cents on the NAV system.

·
Moderator Emeritus
5,150 Posts
well, I think you can change the whole system to a newer model when it comes out. We have a old '96 740iL and the onboard monitor went funny on us. We took it back to the dealer last summer to get it fixed and they changed the whole system completely. We've got more functions on the system now and also new colors... =) Since it was still under warranty, it was free of charge. I suppose if anything happens to your nav system within the warranty period and you bring it back to them, they'll change it to the newest version for you.
Terence

·
Registered
29 Posts
Originally posted by thetooth:
Does anyone know if the nav software is upgradeable?

Maybe they (or an aftermarket supplier) will offer an upgrade in the future to fix these problems.

B]

Yes the software is upgradable. My M5 (march 1999) OBC and Nav had some software bugs. I took the car to the dealer and it loaded the news soft; no more bugs since then. Also new funtions were added.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts