BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes.. it's cold here in Virginia. The beast stays fairly warm all night long in the garage at the house... but during the day... it is out in the cold at the office.

Lately, when leaving the office at 7pm or so, the temperature has been in the teens.

Here is the issue... The NAV takes two to five minutes to come alive. No BMW welcome banner, no Accept Screen... NADA... eventually the display with flash a couple of times... I'll get the BMW Banner... and it will complete it's 'boot' cycle. The GPS tracking is then way off, as I have driven 3 or so miles. The indicator on the NAV screen show it is still searching for the satellite link, and finally it will adjust my location to actual tracking.

Audio works, OBC on the dash display works, but NO screen interface to the car.

Not the end of the world... but my guess... a predictor of something about to fail...
"Dave, I sense that the Long Range Array antenna will fail within 72 hours" HAL 9000 from 2001 - A Space Odessey

Any thoughts?

Bob

PS.. you know .. I can't make it home from the office without the NAV directions.... :hihi:

·
Registered
85 Posts
I work in Reston and live in Oakton so my car is exposed to the same conditions. It has not displayed any of those symptoms. The cold tends to make things contract, so maybe there is a loose connector somewhere?

FWIW,
Dave
:M5launch:

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have the same symptoms , but my Nav screen response a litle bit earlier ,
sometimes I turn on stand heating (webasto) and it's helps to get faster in the menu and write up the code.I think it's normal in lower temperatures.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My 2002 has been doing this. Today, actually. I drove it for about 15 minutes to go get the oil changed. Turned the car off and then back on and everything worked fine. Weird part was my radio would work, then cut out. If I turned off the radio, then back on, the radio would work again. Only have this issue when it's really effin cold. And Nashville has had some really cold effin weather this year. After the oil change I drove it for 20 minutes and had no problem with the nav or radio.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
It may be the florescent tube which lights up the display is slow due to the cold temp.

The lamps are getting older and failure is an eventuality. The lamp can be replaced if you can find the correct tube, but it may well be expensive. I have recently replaced the florescent tube for the LCD on an optical comparator with dimmable LEDs. The illumination is great and no start up time and the cost was >$40.00. I can get the information from work tomorrow. The last option is to replace the entire LCD.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My thoughts are that my battery may be the issue. During a two week stretch of foul weather in December by battery drained to the point it would not even crank. I charged it back to life but wonder if the combination of cold and "old battery" might be the cause? Battery is 5 years old.

·
Registered
689 Posts
My MKIII unit is rebooting a lot recently, and the CD based maps are not co-operating.
The most recent "feature" is just locking up with a static screen.
I don't have DSP audio - so that part is covered.
I don't lose my audio - I can still select the radio (never listen to radio) - or CD/IPOD. Volume control works fine, steering control works fine.
Just the display is either blank, frozen, or rebooting.

I'm wondering if it's about time to look at putting in a nice 7" tablet in that space.
It would be great if I could have an updated display and retain all of the OBC functionality - distance to empty, fuel economy, etc.

I'm going to unplug the connector in the back of the unit - spray some contact cleaner/lubricant and see if that helps the cause.

Might be a summer project - get a nice bezel, find the hardware and software to provide a simple and responsive display.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
This starting happening to be last year with my 2010 DVD disk. I cleaned it and then it worked better for a bit and then started acting up again. I threw back in my 2007 and no issues. I recently acquired a 2014 disk and initially it worked but then did the same darn things with it trying to load the disk and rebooting. I threw back in my 2007 disk and no problems ever. I think the problem comes from the disk type and the laser being able to read some better than others. I am going to try to make an iso of my 2014 disk and burn it on a different disk to see if it works any better.

Another theory is condensation on the disk forming making it hard to read. Go from cold to warm or vice versa and it happens all too easily.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Yesterday, I made an iso image of the 2014 disk 2(western) DVD and burned it to a TDK DVD-R and it now works like a charm. The original I had was on an HP disk and apparently my MKIV did not like it.

So, try the same thing I did with a different brand of DVD-R.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts