BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 M5. MK-III (CD) Nav system. A female voice gives turn by turn directions, and politely mutes the stereo when she needs to talk to me.

I am mounting my handheld GPS (Garmin Quest) as it is functionally superior. I plan to mount it by attaching a part to the cupholders low on the center console. It has an externally mountable speaker to speak voice commands.

Now my question for you BMW electronics experts;

Is there a way for me to splice in the analog audio from my portable GPS, so the stereo mutes and sends the signals over the stereo? Hopefully the stereo gets its cue to mute simply from the existence of audio over a pair of Nav audio wires

:confused2

I suppose I could wire it into the cell phone input, however I know it would not mute the stereo this way (which might actually be a good thing) but I'm concerned about what might happen if I'm on the phone and a voice command comes over at the same time.

Paul

·
10,455 Posts
I believe there is a wiring diagram for the radio unit on www.bimmernav.com which could probably give you some info. When i made the harness to use a late style radio in my 00 m5, i mixed up a couple of audio wires, which involved the nav lady's voice and the radio mute signal. Only issue will be running wires to the trunk, where the radio is.
Mike

pkarmouche said:
2001 M5. MK-III (CD) Nav system. A female voice gives turn by turn directions, and politely mutes the stereo when she needs to talk to me.

I am mounting my handheld GPS (Garmin Quest) as it is functionally superior. I plan to mount it by attaching a part to the cupholders low on the center console. It has an externally mountable speaker to speak voice commands.

Now my question for you BMW electronics experts;

Is there a way for me to splice in the analog audio from my portable GPS, so the stereo mutes and sends the signals over the stereo? Hopefully the stereo gets its cue to mute simply from the existence of audio over a pair of Nav audio wires

:confused2

I suppose I could wire it into the cell phone input, however I know it would not mute the stereo this way (which might actually be a good thing) but I'm concerned about what might happen if I'm on the phone and a voice command comes over at the same time.

Paul

·
Registered
185 Posts
If you don't have the factory phone then you could use the audio mute and speaker inputs from those connectors. I don't remember what website I found the wiring diagram for E39 phone connectors on but it's out there. I did something similar on my E46 for a non-BMW phone kit, worked great.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses, guys.

As it turns out, it works perfectly sending the line-level audio from the GPS into two wires in the center console where the cell phone audio usually goes. The stereo doesn't mute but the sound is crystal clear from all stereo speakers.

I thought I'd post this in case anyone is wanting to feed other audio over the stereo speakers can benefit.

I do have a Nokia car kit installed (thanks to a $60 part from www.eiskits.com) and am having some difficulty wiring the two in parallel (the GPS audio stops when the Cell Phone is connected, some sort of back-feeding problem into the GPS I think). I plan to try a diode to isolate the GPS.

Does anyone know what type or rating of diode I'd want to try?

Paul

1 - 5 of 5 Posts