BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car is a 2000 with only 6,000 miles on her. The other day I was driving and the screen went black, with white lines going back and forward. Turned the car off and on and sure enough the problem was still there. Radio still works but cuts out about ever five minutes or so - I have to turn it off and on then it starts working again but cuts out quickly. The navigation never worked before this problem occurred; I was quoted a large number to fix that so I chose to just live without it. What could this problem be? Do I need an entirely new screen or could it possibly just be a fuse? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2002 BMW M5 E39 Dinan
2,248 Posts
My car is a 2000 with only 6,000 miles on her. The other day I was driving and the screen went black, with white lines going back and forward. Turned the car off and on and sure enough the problem was still there. Radio still works but cuts out about ever five minutes or so - I have to turn it off and on then it starts working again but cuts out quickly. The navigation never worked before this problem occurred; I was quoted a large number to fix that so I chose to just live without it. What could this problem be? Do I need an entirely new screen or could it possibly just be a fuse? Thanks for the help.

Your NAV's BIOS has been corrupted. Its not gonna be a easy fix, but is not impossible either.
You can read more about it here http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e3...0768-nav-died-blank-screen-2.html#post1956905

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot Terabass, I searched but did not find that thread. Would you recommend going through an independent to save money versus the dealership? I don't have the skills to do this myself.

·
Registered
2002 BMW M5 E39 Dinan
2,248 Posts
Thanks a lot Terabass, I searched but did not find that thread. Would you recommend going through an independent to save money versus the dealership? I don't have the skills to do this myself.
On my previous post, there is a link to the thread.

This is not mechanical stuff, this is electronics and electrical engineering. The shop won't do it, at best they'll just replace your NAV with a new one. So you gotta ask someone who does auto electronics in a very finite way.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Wow what a coincidence. I got the same exact problem last week. I am glad you posted this thread. I've been looking for info and didn't know how to search for it.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I had a similar problem after a battery drain. I was able to get the nav computer to come back and the display to come back on by getting the software reloaded. I got the Resler IBUS interface unit and a copy of the NavCoder software. NavCoder let me look at the status of the nav and force a reload of the software.

I had several OS disks on different brands of media all burned with Imgburn at 4X (I never could get it to program at 1X). Several times, the OS load would hang up without any completion and I couldn't get any more response out of the nav on through NavCoder, so I'd have to pull the connectors and let it sit for a while.

I was about to give up and go buy a new nav unit, but the last OS load I tried had left the CD in the drive and I wanted it back. In my disgust, I quickly pulled and reinserted the blue connector on the nav and gave the case a little love tap. Lo and behold, the drive started accessing the CD and the screen woke up and announced a software load was in progress! It completed and to my amazement, all functions are back to normal. Well, almost all functions. The GPS works and receives satellites, but the DVD laser appears to be dead as it won't read a map DVD. I'm going to try replacing the laser head or replace the entire drive. At least the processor and firmware is OK now.

So don't give up. It might be worth trying NavCoder with the IBUS interface as that is not invasive and if it doesn't work you can still try reflashing the EPROM.

My original post is at:
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e3...162004-mk-iv-nav-wont-power-down-fixable.html

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
My attempt to update my nav firmware resulted in me corrupting my nav unit OS. I had to dismantle the unit (from the trunk) to get a stuck cd out and when reconnecting it simply woulnd't power up. My radio and cd music also cuts out after a few minutes. I've sent my unit to an independent electronic shop for them to fix.

This is the first, and last, time I mess with the electronics in this car!ouich

·
Registered
77 Posts
My navi died last year blanking the screen and cutting the radio of as well. I disconnected some of the plug from the navi and radio started working again. No need for old navi now.TomTom is good enough.

·
Registered
324 Posts
My NAV (MKIV) will lock up occasionally, sticking on one screen with the controls unresponsive. Sometimes the radio will cut out too. Sometimes it reboots itself, sometimes not, but functionality returns once I shut the car off for a bit. Have not pulled connectors out of the back yet.

·
Registered
77 Posts
My NAV (MKIV) will lock up occasionally, sticking on one screen with the controls unresponsive. Sometimes the radio will cut out too. Sometimes it reboots itself, sometimes not, but functionality returns once I shut the car off for a bit. Have not pulled connectors out of the back yet.

If the problem is only with radio, the issue is with the radio unit itself located in the trunk. However if the screen is blanked or white there is issues with the navi. I had both problems.

·
Registered
324 Posts
The screen just locked up. It eventually reboots. Gotta be a navi issue. Not sure really how to troubleshoot other than the windows reboot solution.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2000 M5 (38k miles). It sits in a garage all winter and last winter the battery drained. Since then the Nav screen is dark grey with occasional white streaks. The radio works for only about a minute then cuts out. The orange radio on/off light remains lit even after the radio turns itself off. The radio will start working again if I press the radio button off, and then turn it back on. It will stay on for a minute or so, and the process repeats.
I read all the threads I could find on this problem. It appears that the dead battery caused the Nav system’s BIOS to become corrupt.
I don’t have the electronics horsepower in my head to even attempt the electronic fix discussed in the threads. I tried the Ashok Arora maneuver. Interestingly, my M5 does not have a no. 7 fuse. The fuse map for my car says fuse no. 7 is for the Auxiliary Fan. I completed the Arora procedure (removed the no. 41 fuse in step 3), but the problem remains.

The threads that I located relating to this problem are relatively old. I am wondering if there is a way for me to work around the Nav system to get the radio and Nav screen working so that the screen will display the radio functions and time. I don’t need or want the Nav functions.

Thank you for any assistance.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I'm in the exact same boat. I bought a 16:9 OEM that I was gong to throw in to see if that fixed it then saw this thread. I could care less about the nav--I just want music occasionally. Anyone have any idea if throwing in a new MKII or MKIII nav (as they are cheap cheap cheap, especially vs MKIV) will fix it?

·
Registered
196 Posts
I bought a MKIV on ebay today for $180 shipped with newest software, and $14 gets you the newest (well back in 2015) discs. Was planning on upgrading at some point anyway so I'll see what happens when I plug it in. A few places on ebay advertising repairs on the disc player, but it looks like a simple software reload would fix most of them.

·
Registered
486 Posts
You have all opened trunk, let Nav wind down and let light go out, then disconnected your batteries for at least 20 minutes? Then reconnected as per correct procedure with a good charged battery?
If no go after that you have bigger problems with a module. You can try swapping with another owners working modules one at a time to find the faulty one, then go find a good one for sale, or take the sign that has been sent down to you that now is the time to rip it all out and go full aftermarket 21st century system!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks mopdahl. I have determined that I have an MKII in my 2000. If I buy an MKIV as you did, do you know if the MKIV will be compatible with the other systems in my vehicle?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Per E39source it was pretty much plug-n-play, aside for the antenna thingy which adds 10 min extra as you have to do the trimble thing. Good writeup & videos on this.

My MIV arrives this week & it is supposed to be above freezing here this weekend so I'll let you know if it works.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts