BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a MKIII nav system in my 2001 beast. The scale setting will change by itself while I am driving. If it is set at 250 yards, it will migrate to 450 yards, then 900 yards, then 1 mile. I usually catch it by this time, so I'm not sure if would continue to the next setting or not. Also, I haven't played with it enough to see if it happens at certain time intervals, or if it is related to car speed. I was just wondering if this is normal?

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
I think it zooms out depending on the speed/distance traveled.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
seems abnormal. My unit never adjusts it's scale, unless I do it manually.

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
...I was just wondering if this is normal?
Um, No. Either the Nav is going nuts or your Bordmonitor is sending signals it shouldn't be (all related to the righthand knob). Try leaving your screen in the Street Name Input screen or Settings menu and see if it moves left/right there too...

d-

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Just to update, I have left the screen on three different screens/menus, and it hasn't moved at all in the time/distance amounts in which the map scale had moved. Now here's something wierd that DID happen........ The scale actually changed while I had a menu screen up to test this!!! Also, I wasn't paying close enough attention at the time, but it seems that it did not change beyond the 1 mile scale setting when I left the map on screen.

The reason I find this annoying is I prefer the car direction facing up, and when it changes scale to the 1 mile setting, the map changes so that north is facing up.

Additional info: This is all while the screen is in split mode, and I currently have software version 3-1/61 installed. Other than a few settings (and a new 2007.2 CD) the nav system is as I purchased the car, and I beleiev this has been happening since I brought it home.

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts
The reason I find this annoying is I prefer the car direction facing up, and when it changes scale to the 1 mile setting, the map changes so that north is facing up.
Unfortunately, that is the factory default. You can set the screen to point NORTH or in the DIRECTION OF TRAVEL only below the 1 mile scale.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I get THAT part of it, and if the scale would stay where I set it, it would be fine...... cherrsagai

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts
I get THAT part of it, and if the scale would stay where I set it, it would be fine...... cherrsagai
It should stay put, I believe. I don't think mine has ever changed, except on "lower level" functions, which I rarely use.

·
Registered
316 Posts
You might want to try a newer version of the software. Isn't it up into the 70's now on the version #? Of course, I have a MkIV, so I may be speaking with irrelevance.

It sounds like a software/computer-type glitch to me.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will double check, but I think I have the latest (or at least close to it) software version for the Mk III.

I will also confirm that the map screen doesn NOT change scale once it reaches the 1 mile scale, it DOES change scale even when the map is NOT displayed on the screen and there is no cursor movement on yet another (input) screen as per Doug's suggestion.........

1 - 12 of 12 Posts