BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Burned a CD-R (incorrectly, I presume), stuck it in my MK III and now I get "Please wait..." when I go to my nav screen. The red light stays illuminated constantly on the nav, but it will not eject the CD-R. If I continuously press the button (for 3 minutes uniterrupted per instructions on Xoutpost) or repeatedly press it, the light stays lit. Then, about 15 seconds after I stop pressing it, it'll blink repeatedly and then stop. If I press the button while it's blinking (continuous or repeatedly), it goes back to steady illumination. It does not seem to be draining my battery, but I think that it is causing hiccups with my Intravee operation. At this point, I just want to get the CD-R out. I have not unplugged the nav as I do not want to brick it. Any ideas?

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Sounds like you have tried to update the Nav firmware with a Mode 1 format CD. The Nav is now in an infinite re-boot loop. Getting the nav CD out by pressing the eject button when in a reboot loop is very hit and miss, sometimes it comes out quite easily, sometimes it won't come out no matter what you do.

If you can't get it out by pressing the eject button then you'll have to get it out manually.

Pull the top off the Nav from the back or sides, it will break the tamper sticker, but is otherwise only clipped on.

With the front of the Nav facing you, look at the back right, you will see a rectangular motor about 30mm x 15mm, it is held in with one screw with a small Torx T6 head. If you don't have a T6 driver, you MAY be able to undo it with a flat bladed screwdriver jammed inside it. Once removed you can turn the eject cog with your finger to release the CD.

Once the disc is out you will need a correct Mode 2 CD to get the Nav working again.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9550/5.0.0.320 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I am fairly certain when the same thing happened to me that I was able to pop open the tray by sticking a paperclip in the tiny hole in the front. That is how you do it with the CD drive in your computer.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks

Once I get the CD out, other than not having a working nav system, will there be any other issues with my radio, Intravee, etc? I do not use navigation that often, so I can do without. Therefore, if there will be no other issues, I will forego the Mode 2 CD.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
If you have the Tv module then it will take over from the Nav to drive the monitor.

The Intravee display layout will be a bit different and you may need the latest firmware for it to work properly - I know there was a problem with some TV modules detecting a message that the Intravee sends to the radio module as being from the Nav which causes them to stop displaying the UI and the screen goes blank.

If you don't have the TV module, then the screen will be blank without the Nav.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
No TV module

I have 2 nav CDs that came with the car (2001 or 2002). If I just pop one of those back in, will that get the nav working again?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.