BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Somwhat new. I have a Nav problem, I have posted before and just now getting around to looking into correcting this problem.

My Nav is tracking 180 deg out. i.e. Going north, the map tracks south.

I cant remember who, but some kind gentlemen advised for me to check the wheel sensor wiring. Any other possibilites come to mind? Of course the Dealer wanted to sell me a new Nav System. We I am a definate newbie, however with some mechanical skills. I maintained my Volvo, but my first BMW (M5) is a bit more sofisticated. So any advise, instructions or ideas would be appreciated as I tool up to do some maintenance this weekend. I guess a good place to start would be which sensor and wheel ? :biggrin:.. Ok, dont hit me too hard, I do have the Tis disc, but have not found any data concerning this yet.

Hank
South Louisiana
2000 Titanium M5
2000 Imola Red M5 (project)

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
Hello,

Somwhat new. I have a Nav problem, I have posted before and just now getting around to looking into correcting this problem.

My Nav is tracking 180 deg out. i.e. Going north, the map tracks south.

I cant remember who, but some kind gentlemen advised for me to check the wheel sensor wiring. Any other possibilites come to mind? Of course the Dealer wanted to sell me a new Nav System. We I am a definate newbie, however with some mechanical skills. I maintained my Volvo, but my first BMW (M5) is a bit more sofisticated. So any advise, instructions or ideas would be appreciated as I tool up to do some maintenance this weekend. I guess a good place to start would be which sensor and wheel ? :biggrin:.. Ok, dont hit me too hard, I do have the Tis disc, but have not found any data concerning this yet.

Hank
South Louisiana
2000 Titanium M5
2000 Imola Red M5 (project)
Hi Hank,

Sounds like the reverse indicator wire is wired to the wrong place.

Go into the Nav service menu: Menu, Settings, press and hold Menu. In there (under functions, I think) you'll find a setting for wheel speed sensor.

You need to make sure it is positive when you are going forward and negative when you are going backwards. Obviously it should change from 0 when you are moving.

If it is always 0 (it won't be, but just in case) then you need to move the wire in pin 11 (brown wire w/ red stripe) of the purple harness into pin #10.

If it is just the wrong sign, then you need to check pin #1 of the harness. It should be ~6V when you are in reverse, and 0V when you aren't. It is supposed to be wired to your back-up lights, but I'm afraid I can't tell you where specifically...

Hope this helps,

Doug

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Have you checked the GPS antenna connections?

Also, you might consider picking up a Mark 3 Nav unit for real cheap- folks upgrading to the Mark4 will let them go reasonably.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I will check this out ! Btw, I did not mention that the previous owner upgraded to 16X9 Mk IV. And it has probably never worked correctly since the upgrade.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I am actually having a problem with my NAV. Every time I try to go to the NAV menu, it goes into "thinking" mode and never succeeds getting into the NAV secton. If I go back to the main menu then it does not allow me the option of the NAV again, untill I restart the car.<O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p

I have tried to eject the NAV disk but, to no avail.<O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p

Any pearls of wisdom to sort out my possessed NAV.<O:p</O:p

Cheers,
Manu

·
Registered
936 Posts
Possibly a stupid question but are you sure you have selected the option to point the map in the car direction as opposed to tracking north?

If you have it set to track north then if you head south the car will appear to go the opposite way on screen.

@ Manu, you could try to do a software upgrade, or maybe a full re-boot by disconnecting the battery.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Thanks Richie,

Disconnecting the battery did not seem to help, it there any other way to eject the NAV CD?

·
Registered
936 Posts
You sure there is a disc in there? :biggrin:

How long did you disconnect it for, I think that can have a bearing, at least half an hour apparently.

You could also try holding your finger on the eject button for some time.

·
Registered
210 Posts
If I leave the battery disconnected for 30mins are there other implications?

RE: Finger on the eject button untill it went blue, no luck!

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
No issue with disconnecting the battery except you will need to reset the time / date and you will lose your trip odometer.

Sounds to me like your Nav unit is on the way out. Can you borrow someone elses MK3/4 to try in your car and make sure it is ok?

d-

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
I'll post the solution once more: Go into the diagnostic menu and check your wheel speed sensor.

If it is positive when you go forward and negative when you are in reverse, then you need to learn how to use your Nav unit :)

I suspect you'll find it is negative going forward and positive in reverse, which means that pin#1 of the magenta harness is not getting a 5+V signal when it should (which is when the reverse lights are on).

The only other option is that your Nav unit needs to be replaced, but I'd check the wheel speed sensor first.

btw - you asked which wheel: Front Left.

d-

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nav Sensor Check

I did the sensor check as advised and it all appears to work properly. But it reveled possibly where the problem is.

This is what the system shows

Sats 00
GPS Reciever Error

Im assuming since the moving map works but is 180 out, that maybe the nav unit has gone kerplunk. A couple of questions,

Any other trobleshooting im missing?
If the Nav unit is bad, is there anyone who repairs them?
If I have to replace the Nav reciever, what items are required to move up from the MkIV to a later generation.

Thanks for the help !

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Buy A Garmin NUVI....... Best Buy 4 year warranty I use my stock Nav For last resort

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
I did the sensor check as advised and it all appears to work properly. But it reveled possibly where the problem is.

This is what the system shows

Sats 00
GPS Reciever Error

Im assuming since the moving map works but is 180 out, that maybe the nav unit has gone kerplunk. A couple of questions,

Any other trobleshooting im missing?
If the Nav unit is bad, is there anyone who repairs them?
If I have to replace the Nav reciever, what items are required to move up from the MkIV to a later generation.

Thanks for the help !
If you have 0 sats then you likely just have a bad antenna. Easiest way to check is to go to Radio Shack and get a cheap GPS antenna. Plug it in an ssee if the problem goes away. If it does, you need a new antenna (mounts on the back shelf). If not you need a new Nav.

Nothing required to upgrade from III to IV except a MkIV.

d-

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Sounds like he already has a mark 4 which is DVD based and has an integral antenna...nothing to plug in.

Mark 4 is the 'newest' Nav for an E39M5

A

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Im wrong ! I have the CD based system with 16x9 screen. I guess Mk III. So my question is if I upgrade to Mk 4 will I need to change more then the Nav box?

·
Registered
936 Posts
As far as I know going from MkIII to MkIV is just a case of removing one and fitting the other.

They are expensive though, I think there is a good source from an ebay seller, based in Latvia I think - I'll ask some friends and post a link if I can find one.

Richie.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Im wrong ! I have the CD based system with 16x9 screen. I guess Mk III. So my question is if I upgrade to Mk 4 will I need to change more then the Nav box?
Don't guess. You'll waste our time and possibly your money.

Go to the FAQ sticky. Find the nav section, go to the x5world link, learn how to identify your nav unit. (Hint, when it powers up you will see numbers on the display, which ID the hardware and software.)

Once you know what nav hardware you have you can troubleshoot.

A

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
Sounds like he already has a mark 4 which is DVD based and has an integral antenna...nothing to plug in.

A

I think you mean it has an integral receiver - the antenna is still on the rear deck and is the round cable that plugs into the back.

Mk2 had a separate GPS receiver (gimble), in MK3 / 4 the receiver was integrated into the computer itself. In all cases, the antenna is located on the rear deck and plugs in via a round wire.

d-

1 - 19 of 19 Posts