BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 M5 and all of a sudden the Nav screen has gone blank.

I decided to try and reload the cd, but it won't come out when I try and eject it.

I took the car to the dealer and he told me that the whole thing is kaput and I need a new one at $3,000 plus 94 labor (must be an easy installation.)

I wonder if the problem isn't the stuck CD and whether I should just go to a auto stereo place and have them try and remove it.

Any suggestions that would get my Nav back and keep me out of the poorhouse would be most appreciated

Nigel

·
Registered
158 Posts
Caicos said:
I have a 2000 M5 and all of a sudden the Nav screen has gone blank.

I decided to try and reload the cd, but it won't come out when I try and eject it.

I took the car to the dealer and he told me that the whole thing is kaput and I need a new one at $3,000 plus 94 labor (must be an easy installation.)

I wonder if the problem isn't the stuck CD and whether I should just go to a auto stereo place and have them try and remove it.

Any suggestions that would get my Nav back and keep me out of the poorhouse would be most appreciated

Nigel
Does the light on the Nav unit in the trunk come on when you pop the trunk open? Was there anything out of the ordinary that happened just before you started having problems (dead or disconnected battery)? Several others have commented on a reset procedure that might help.

1. Open the trunk and wait for 5 minutes to elapse. THIS IS CRITICAL ANYTIME YOU ARE GOING TO DISCONNECT THE BATTERY. It allows time for the Nav unit to shut down. This is covered in a BMW TPS. This is also the reason you should NEVER attempt to jump start a Nav equipped car, or provide a jump to someone else.

2. After the 5 minutes, disconnect the negative battery cable.
3. Hop in the car and press the brake pedal a few times. This drains any residual power from the system, which is the key to resetting the Nav.
4. Reconnect the battery and listen for the Nav unit to spin up.

You can also remove the Nav unit after step 2 and disconnect the 2 connectors from the back. That will guarantee you a full reset. To do that, you will need to make a couple of extractor tools - coat hangars cut and bent so that they slide into the holes on either side of the Nav unit.

Hope this helps. I have a functional MKIII Nav unit and a 4:3 display for sale if you need replacement parts. PM me if you are interested.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts