BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello friends,

Lets say I was in the market for a nav disk for a 2003 M5. Stock audio/nav system. What's the newest disk I can buy? I've seen some on e-bay from 2005 for about $60, but frankly - lots has changed since then. Will newer ones work? Also, what's all this "MKIV Nav" terminology mean?

·
Registered
595 Posts
Hello friends,

Lets say I was in the market for a nav disk for a 2003 M5. Stock audio/nav system. What's the newest disk I can buy? I've seen some on e-bay from 2005 for about $60, but frankly - lots has changed since then. Will newer ones work? Also, what's all this "MKIV Nav" business?
I would think a 2010-1 or maybe 2!
Don't know about the business one.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Boosted,

If I were you, I wouldn't waste $60 on old nav discs from 2005 or 2006. Like you said, a lot has changed since then. A brand new set of navi discs (well, one single DVD anyways for those of us with MKIV nav systems) ordered online from a dealership like Tischer is about $170. That's really not that bad since they probably have 2010.1 or 2010.2 by now.

I myself had some recent issues with the 2008.1 backup I was using and have been wanting to get the latest maps. Just haven't pulled the trigger on spending that money, it's been going other places such as a new chain tensioner, etc. ;)

gl,

SP

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Boosted,

If I were you, I wouldn't waste $60 on old nav discs from 2005 or 2006. Like you said, a lot has changed since then. A brand new set of navi discs (well, one single DVD anyways for those of us with MKIV nav systems) ordered online from a dealership like Tischer is about $170. That's really not that bad since they probably have 2010.1 or 2010.2 by now.

I myself had some recent issues with the 2008.1 backup I was using and have been wanting to get the latest maps. Just haven't pulled the trigger on spending that money, it's been going other places such as a new chain tensioner, etc. ;)

gl,

SP
How do I know if the car has MKIV? I really don't know what that means - never had navi built into a car before, so I haven't had to worry about DVDs and matching editions to disks, etc.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I have a MKIV with a 2011 east coast disc not sure if it covers TX I can check in the Morning....if it does I can make a "backup" copy for you.....PM me....

·
Registered
647 Posts
The newest disc is 2011 that came out in October '10.

From the factory, only '03 cars come with MKIV, which is DVD-based. MKI, MKII, and MKIII are CD-based.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm going to re-open this topic, because I have a new Nav Disc related question.

My 03 M5 has a stock MKIV Nav system, but came without a disc. What's the newest disc I can throw in there without needing to update the firmware? Houston recently expanded I-10, and I would imagine an old disc would just constantly tell me that I'm driving through buildings.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Why not update the firmware, documented fully and many times across the net, including Xoutpost. All required parts available for free (bar the blank disc) although follow the instructions exactly to burn the disc correctly and get it done first time. :)

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
V29.1 software (4-1/91 on the MK IV Setup menu) alowed reading of Dual Layer DVDs, in Europe the DVD maps became dual layer from 2008-2, I'm not sure about the USA. So, if you have lower than 4-1/91 (except 4-1/00 which is really 4-1/100!) then you probably won't be able to read map DVDs from 2008-2 on.

·
Registered
472 Posts
what were the map updates for 2011 nav CDs?
i know that the DVDs got police traps but do the CDs do too?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts