BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Make no mistake, the M5 is a monster on the track (http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e6...scussion/156752-m5-sepang-f1-night-track.html, http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60-m5-e61-m5-touring-discussion/155030-m-power-sepang-f1.html, http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60-m5-e61-m5-touring-discussion/162856-m5-bodyroll-track-days.html), but after a while, you would want something that is lighter, faster, more raw.

So I skipped the whole slippery slope (e.g. more mods to the M5, getting a lighter more powerful road car, getting a track dedicated car) and go straight to the logical conclusion for F1 inspired machines :grinyes:

* Revs to 16,000 rpms (Like an F1 engine or 2x track cars combined) -- check :eek:oohhh:

* Pulls up to 2.5 lateral Gs (3x road cars or 2x race cars combined) -- check :eek:oohhh: :eek:oohhh:

* Performance (in terms of acceleration, lateral Gs and reaction times) approaching F3 or GT2 levels -- check :eek:oohhh: :eek:oohhh: :eek:oohhh:

* Full driver control, no electronics requiring instant reactions -- you are your own ECU, DSC, ABS etc etc. -- check :eek:

The natural evolution -- Zanardi KF2 Race Kart aka the 'TIE Fighter' :cool2:

BTW, nothing like driving a fast car to drive a faster car faster :flag:

IMG_0374a.jpg

IMG_0129.JPG

IMG_0146.JPG

IMG_0149.JPG

·
Registered
526 Posts
Ohhhh, that looks like fun! Have you taken it out on the track yet?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ohhhh, that looks like fun! Have you taken it out on the track yet?
Absolutely -- its insanely quick. Actually hurt my ribs from all the lateral Gs at speed. The injury is like a built in Driftbox -- if you're not feeling it, you are not cornering quick enough :biggrinbounce: :biggrinbounce:

·
Registered
526 Posts
Absolutely -- its insanely quick. Actually hurt my ribs from all the lateral Gs at speed. The injury is like a built in Driftbox -- if you're not feeling it, you are not cornering quick enough :biggrinbounce: :biggrinbounce:
Excellent! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
476 Posts
I used to race those in Japan...125cc shifter carts and direct drive piston ports as well. They are SO much fun! Have fun and be safe!!!

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I used to race those in Japan...125cc shifter carts and direct drive piston ports as well. They are SO much fun! Have fun and be safe!!!
Sweet ! If I am not mistaken, 6 speed shifter karts can go 0-160 kph / 100 mph -0 in under 10 seconds, 0-100 kph / 62 mph under 3 sec :thumbsup:

·
Registered
106 Posts
I tried karting once. I'm a big dude and actually cracked a rib from all of the lateral Gs. I had a blast for one afternoon and then couldn't even breathe without pain for 4 months.

More power to ya! I wish karting had more of a presence in southern California. Particularly in San Diego.

I'd try it again. :)

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
very nice toy!

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Love it. That is pure racing.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Oh man, that looks like so much fun!! Cracking a rib, that's funny!!

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I tried karting once. I'm a big dude and actually cracked a rib from all of the lateral Gs. I had a blast for one afternoon and then couldn't even breathe without pain for 4 months.

More power to ya! I wish karting had more of a presence in southern California. Particularly in San Diego.

I'd try it again. :)
Lol ! You should try again -- it doesn't get any more raw than that. For me, I am rather big too, so I cracked the kart chassis once from all the stress and strain from lateral (cornering etc.) and vertical (mounting kerbs to go faster etc.) Gs :eek:oohhh:

But the good news was they managed to fix it and put in even more supporting bars so the chassis is now stiffer than before, so I was getting even better times :7:

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
very nice toy!
Lol ! If anyone told me that there was a magic device that lets you get fit, lose weight, build up strength etc. just by sitting down and driving around, I would have laughed at them ..... That was until I got into one of these things :grinyes: :grinyes:

Love it. That is pure racing.
Absolutely ! Throttle and braking reactions needs to be near instanteonous unlike a track car while the curves and straights are more spaced out .... And definitely more intense and much higher Gs lovelove

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tracking the M5 after this is pure luxury -- surrounded by leather and support from the active seats etc :grinyes:

But having said that, the my Zanardi is the luxury GT version -- notice the full padded seat :cool2:

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Where can I find one and how much? Looks awesome.
There are many makes for the chassis / body -- CRG, Zanardi, Maranello. Same for the engines -- IAME / Rotax etc.

Running costs are not so high. so that is another plus. When tracking the M5, consumerables like tires and pads will costs a bomb, and there is also a risk of running off into the gravel or contact with other cars etc so you can't really push the limits and learn :sad1:

Avg monthly running costs (~3-4x 3 hr sessions) consists of tires, brake pads, fuel, mechanic support, storage, engine rebuilts (yes -- it is a race spec engine so you need to rebuilt it after certain hours) etc. will set you back about ~$1K+ USD per month

So for the cost of 1-2 tires in the M5 can last you a month karting -- and much more seat time and wheel to wheel / at the limit driving :thumbsup:

·
Registered
476 Posts
It actually happens a fair amount and is not funny at all...it's very painful, hard to breath. Most karters wear protective rib gear for that!

As for the performance, I believe they are about 4 sec to 60mph, give or take...

Generally they are very expensive to run competitively...Track time, tires, rebuild etc...Depending on where you race, it's fiercly competitive. But one of the purest forms of racing as well...

Tony Kart, CRM, Biessi, Top Kart etc are all good karts...

·
Registered
106 Posts
It actually happens a fair amount and is not funny at all...it's very painful, hard to breath. Most karters wear protective rib gear for that!
Why the hell didn't anyone tell me this BEFORE I sat in one?! I had no idea that this happened a lot. They did give me a grip of vicodin though. :D

And, yes, I hear it's quite expensive. There was a dude out there who barely bumped into another guy and bent his rear axle (?). He said that was the end of his day and there goes "$XXX down the tube." I don't remember how much it was but I remember thinking it was a ridiculous amount for such a fragile piece.

Tires are expensive too.

Also, if you give it a try, be prepared to be schooled by 4th graders that weigh all of 60 lbs. It's a trip, karting is supposed to be the closest form of racing next to F1. Let me tell you that NOTHING happens slowly. It's not like you're both drag racing down the front straight waiting to see who will flinch first. When you get passed it's scary!

I made a mistake and lost some momentum going on to the back straight and before I knew it *ZOOOOOM.* Like a giant effing mosquito the 4th grader just BLEW right past me. Little butthole. ;)

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Make no mistake, the M5 is a monster on the track (http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e6...scussion/156752-m5-sepang-f1-night-track.html, http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60-m5-e61-m5-touring-discussion/155030-m-power-sepang-f1.html, http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60-m5-e61-m5-touring-discussion/162856-m5-bodyroll-track-days.html), but after a while, you would want something that is lighter, faster, more raw.

So I skipped the whole slippery slope (e.g. more mods to the M5, getting a lighter more powerful road car, getting a track dedicated car) and go straight to the logical conclusion for F1 inspired machines :grinyes:

* Revs to 16,000 rpms (Like an F1 engine or 2x track cars combined) -- check :eek:oohhh:

* Pulls up to 2.5 lateral Gs (3x road cars or 2x race cars combined) -- check :eek:oohhh: :eek:oohhh:

* Performance (in terms of acceleration, lateral Gs and reaction times) approaching F3 or GT2 levels -- check :eek:oohhh: :eek:oohhh: :eek:oohhh:

* Full driver control, no electronics requiring instant reactions -- you are your own ECU, DSC, ABS etc etc. -- check :eek:

The natural evolution -- Zanardi KF2 Race Kart aka the 'TIE Fighter' :cool2:

BTW, nothing like driving a fast car to drive a faster car faster :flag:

View attachment 138473

View attachment 138474

View attachment 138476

View attachment 138477
That is so sweet. Ive been considering buying a cart as well but the weather in the Seattle area makes it difficult to use most of the year. If you dont mind me asking what was the approximate cost for the cart?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
... Generally they are very expensive to run competitively...Track time, tires, rebuild etc ...
... And, yes, I hear it's quite expensive. There was a dude out there who barely bumped into another guy and bent his rear axle (?). He said that was the end of his day and there goes "$XXX down the tube." I don't remember how much it was but I remember thinking it was a ridiculous amount for such a fragile piece.

Tires are expensive too ...
For me, the costs are all relative to tracking a road car, which was why I got into it

Just for the 2 main consumerables when tracking my M5 -- tires and brakes PS2 ran me ~$5K for 7x 3 hr track sessions or ~$700 per session (this was with PS2 and 2 sets of stock brake pads front and rear)

When I switched to Corsas -- they were sweet ! But lasted me 2x 3 hr sessions -- so about $1500 per session :sad3:

For the race kart, avg monthly costs for tires, brake pads, fuel, mechanic support, storage, engine rebuilts was $1K+ per month, which was about 4x 3 hr sessions -- So less than $250 per session :)

Also when tracking the M5 (or any other road car / track car which typically costs a lot no matter where you are), you tend to be more conservative as you certainly don't want to run off into the gravel or contact with other cars etc so you can't really push the limits and learn. Complete opposite with the 'TIE Fighter' :biggrin:

And replacement parts for the race kart even if major issues occur e.g. damage arising from contact, including bent axles, burnt clutches etc. are orders of magnitude lower than if it ever happens to the M5

So net net, definitely the most efficient way to maximize seat team for track driving :thumbsup:

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
... As for the performance, I believe they are about 4 sec to 60mph, give or take...
...Depending on where you race, it's fiercly competitive. But one of the purest forms of racing as well...
... It's a trip, karting is supposed to be the closest form of racing next to F1. Let me tell you that NOTHING happens slowly. It's not like you're both drag racing down the front straight waiting to see who will flinch first. When you get passed it's scary! ....
+1000 ! Throttle and braking responses need to be near instanteonous, steering needs to be precise ...

And a lot more at the limits driving, catching slides, drifting (not efficient for timing but happens a lot when tires worn or track wet), wheel to wheel action ...

And Gs ... so much acceleration and lateral Gs .... thats where all the rib injuries happen. Performance approaches that of F3 / GT2 levels :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts