BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what was std for leather equipped M5's or what was more expensive option, napa leather or buffalo leather. What is the main difference in look and texture, as well longevity?

:dunno:

·
Registered
175 Posts
I've seen in person a couple of buffalo M5s (in recent times) and the surface is rough and looks like cracked leather but is not and is thicker. I don't know about durability but it is thick and rough.

I have US & German M5 brochures and I never see a word Nappa was mentioned but buffalo was stated as option. My car has factory leather interior and I was hoping it's Nappa but the grain appears to be embossed unlike Nappa which has a very fine grain and is very soft and supple when you touch it.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Nappa was standard on some markets, like United States, Canada and Brazil. In Germany and most other European countries it was an option. Buffalo is always an option and for RHD cars it wasn't even available (only through BMW Individual). The most expensive type is complete nappa leather though (meaning leather dashboard, headliner in nubuk etc).

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My car is german spec but has the buffalo leather option. Yes, this buffalo leather is thicker, rough but seems it will stand up better in ages/use vs the nappa leathr which is softer and skinner? But looks like the nappa leather is a more expensvie, luxury leather over the buffalo leather counterpart.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Friend has a stock '93 M5 so it's got the regular nappa leather. My '95 M-Sport has the buffalo leather. Both cars are black on black. His car has 93k or so miles. Mine has 183k miles on it. My leather has only just started to barely show wear on the drivers side seat bolster (same place all sport seats wear). His leather even at half the miles doesn't look nearly as good as mine. The buffalo may not be as "fancy" as the other options. But it sure holds up better...

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Friend has a stock '93 M5 so it's got the regular nappa leather. My '95 M-Sport has the buffalo leather. Both cars are black on black. His car has 93k or so miles. Mine has 183k miles on it. My leather has only just started to barely show wear on the drivers side seat bolster (same place all sport seats wear). His leather even at half the miles doesn't look nearly as good as mine. The buffalo may not be as "fancy" as the other options. But it sure holds up better...

THIS! THis is exactly what I was thinking.....in the end Buffalo is better IMO:haha2: Thanks for share

·
Registered
168 Posts
Nappa was standard on some markets, like United States, Canada and Brazil. In Germany and most other European countries it was an option. Buffalo is always an option and for RHD cars it wasn't even available (only through BMW Individual). The most expensive type is complete nappa leather though (meaning leather dashboard, headliner in nubuk etc).
That is what my 92 is equipped with..Complete Nappa. Really sweet actually.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Just wondering what was std for leather equipped M5's or what was more expensive option, napa leather or buffalo leather. What is the main difference in look and texture, as well longevity?
(water) buffalo is preferred for longevity, you will see E23 745s/E24 M635s with buffalo interiors in quite acceptable shape (though the rest of the car is worn out)

My '95 M-Sport has the buffalo leather.
If it is a US spec car with the original interior, it is bison leather. Some '95 production 525/530/540 used bison leather. I've yet to see a US VIN E34 of any sort that had a buffalo interior from the factory.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
(water) buffalo is preferred for longevity, you will see E23 745s/E24 M635s with buffalo interiors in quite acceptable shape (though the rest of the car is worn out)

If it is a US spec car with the original interior, it is bison leather. Some '95 production 525/530/540 used bison leather. I've yet to see a US VIN E34 of any sort that had a buffalo interior from the factory.

And what would be the difference between buffalo and bison leather? Do yo uknow? :dunno:

·
Registered
584 Posts
Yes I know on the build sheet it says Bison. Last I checked a Bison is also called a Buffalo.

And it holds up a lot better than the nappa does. When I first had it detailed my detailer asked if the leather was new. Told him nope, was the original 11 1/2 year old leather with 154k miles on it (at the time). Now 15 1/2 years & 183k miles and it doesn't look much different than it did then.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Last I checked a Bison is also called a Buffalo.
Slightly different animals, but again, in this case BMW's buffalo refers to water buffalo hide and the US spec bison leather is different stuff. Bison was standard on many '95 production US spec 525/530/540 cars with regular equipment. It has just a slightly rougher texture than the regular nappa BMW installed on US cars at the time, and it is tougher than the assembly line nappa. Buffalo is coarser, thicker, and takes a lot more abuse.

Here is the delineation in ETK, sport seat and comfort seat leather options:

RealOEM.com   BMW E34 540i BMW sports seat cover

RealOEM.com   BMW E34 540i SEAT COVER FRONT

·
Registered
832 Posts
Nice pics ! :)

One can't be too sure of the maintenance habits of previous owners with regards to interior leather.

My car has the Individual Connolly leather option....leather is soft and not as durable as the leather on my old 535i, but it looks and feels much better.

Notwithstanding, with regular maintenance it has held up quite well in our environment.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nikosx, is that factory alcantara/suede combo? Or is custom? That alcantara (side bolsters right?) looks very close or equal to my custom e30 m3 seats which I used alcantara as well.

This is my 93 M5 with Buffalo leather and has aout 150k kms on the clock. I do pretend to restore the whole seats by bringing them to life again my some magic I did with my previous e30 m3 US specs which had leather seats (I don't know what leather type these us M3 used).

Some shots when I got the car and after the magic

-Diego

·
Registered
175 Posts
Diego, that's magic there! What did u do to that M3 seats?

Just FYI, on my German M5 brochure, BMW used the word "Amarra" not "Alcantara" so I don't think Alcantara was used on E34 M5.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Is that just Leatherette on those seats?? Those things look mint now!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
9 Participants
googone20
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing