BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok guys - a test!

I've done some searching but have yet to find an answer...

2001 M5.

There is a little black square box located in the passenger side defroster slot in the dashboard. The easiest way to see it is look down into the defroster slot from outside (down through the windshield).

It will pull straight up and reveal 4-6 (I didn't count) wires coming out of it.

At first I thought "GPS antenna". But then I saw the wires.. also it does not feell dense, it feels very light. Now I'm thinking "sunlight sensor" but it's opaque so that doesn't make sense either.

Please cure my curiosity.

Paul

P.S. - while I'm at it, anyone know what the tiny clear round dot is - located on the climate control panel, passenger side, inside one of the little horizontal slots?

·
Registered
23 Posts
pkarmouche said:
Ok guys - a test!

I've done some searching but have yet to find an answer...

2001 M5.

There is a little black square box located in the passenger side defroster slot in the dashboard. The easiest way to see it is look down into the defroster slot from outside (down through the windshield).

It will pull straight up and reveal 4-6 (I didn't count) wires coming out of it.

At first I thought "GPS antenna". But then I saw the wires.. also it does not feell dense, it feels very light. Now I'm thinking "sunlight sensor" but it's opaque so that doesn't make sense either.

Please cure my curiosity.

Paul

P.S. - while I'm at it, anyone know what the tiny clear round dot is - located on the climate control panel, passenger side, inside one of the little horizontal slots?
Paul, you are correct, it is the "light sensor" , and since your car is a 2001 it does not have the switch; if you want to make it operational, all you have to do is buy the light switch part # 61 31 6 909 779.

Tommy

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
I give up. What does this light sensor do? I have a MY01 and I am not sure of the use here?

Mark

·
Registered
12,913 Posts
MAH said:
I give up. What does this light sensor do? I have a MY01 and I am not sure of the use here?

Mark
Sounds like the auto on headlight feature of '02 and later cars. If so, interesting that the car is prewired, but the feature not activated until '02.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Does it also control the rain sensing wipers???

·
Registered
214 Posts
Paul, you are correct, it is the "light sensor" , and since your car is a 2001 it does not have the switch; if you want to make it operational, all you have to do is buy the light switch part # 61 31 6 909 779.

Tommy

Tommy-

Do you mean if one gets and installs this part you have the auto headlights? Wouldn't you have to change the light switch as well? To some sort of "auto" function? Thanks for the guidance!

KCD

<!-- / message -->

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, another secret revealed... thanks Tommy.

But this begs a new question; I've read that our "climate control" system has a sunlight sensor as well, to propertly adjust the A/C depending on if sunlight is beating into the cabin. Where is this? Could it be that clear dot I see low on the dashboard by the climate control buttons?

Paul

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm pretty sure the little dot you mention is the light sensor to adjust the brightness of the dispalys on the climate control system. There's a similar sensor on the radio as well. The easiest test of this is to take a flashlight to the sensor, you should see the displays go full bright. It's always been a little weird to me that these two components stacked on top of each other each have their own sensor...

Ben

pkarmouche said:
Wow, another secret revealed... thanks Tommy.

But this begs a new question; I've read that our "climate control" system has a sunlight sensor as well, to propertly adjust the A/C depending on if sunlight is beating into the cabin. Where is this? Could it be that clear dot I see low on the dashboard by the climate control buttons?

Paul

·
Registered
259 Posts
kcdoyle said:

Tommy

Tommy-

Do you mean if one gets and installs this part you have the auto headlights? Wouldn't you have to change the light switch as well? To some sort of "auto" function? Thanks for the guidance!

KCD

<!-- / message -->
I want to know the answer to this also - no auto lights on my 75k sedan has always bugged the crap out of me...I was told there was NO way to retrofit and make the auto lights functional on a 2001 - or I wouldhave by now.

Please elaborate on this.....

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
You guys USE the auto headlight feature? :confused:

I've never used the feature. I disabled my DRL's, and I always turn on the lights manually.

Is it possible that the light sensor up in the defrost thingy is the light sensor for ALL of these functions?

:cheers:

·
Registered
107 Posts
TommyC said:

Tommy
Tommy,

I would like to retrofit my 2000 M5 with the auto headlight feature. I haven't looked yet for the light sensor, but does the 2000 M5 have it too?

Does the new light switch (is it the 4way switch (auto-off-park-on) from the 2002 M5?) replace the original 3way (off-park-on) light switch on the dash?

Mark

·
Registered
12,913 Posts
M-Fünf said:
You guys USE the auto headlight feature? :confused:

I've never used the feature. I disabled my DRL's, and I always turn on the lights manually.

:cheers:
I do the same. I figure I can decide when I want my lights on or off. :cheers:
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I think the automatic headlights are a great feature. I wish they had an adjustment. My '90 TBird had auto headlights with a sensitivity adjustment. Mine work well but don't come on as soon as I'd like some times. It's funny to pull in the garage and have them come on every day.

Aren't we so spoiled! Automatic lights, automatic tilt wheel, auto dimming mirrors, nearly automatic wiper speeds, nearly automatic A/C. The only thing not automatic in the car is the transmission and I wouldn't have it any other way!

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
There is only one feature I want on my MY01 related to headlights. For the lights to turn OFF automatically when the enigne is turned off and a door is opened. This is a common feature found on just about any Toyota for the last 15 years and it has certainly saved many a customer's battery from being drained. How hard can it be?

Mark

·
Registered
259 Posts
Anyone confirm if buy the parts works or not? Looks like you need the updated switch and the cover plate...around $50 for all of it.

-Jeff

·
Registered
214 Posts
I wish someone would let us know. I'd be all over it...like Shadowman on horsepower!!! :cheers:

Nolift911 said:
Anyone confirm if buy the parts works or not? Looks like you need the updated switch and the cover plate...around $50 for all of it.

-Jeff

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
MAH, the automatic headlights take care of that feature. They automatically shut off. Besides, there is a ding when the light switch is left on. On the Toyotas, what if you do want to leave the headlights on? Is there a delay feature like the BMWs?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts