BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thanks, G!

I wonder why the links to his post don't work anymore :confused2

Anyway, Kevin, if you look at the pictures in Gustav's links, you'll see a couple that show very clearly where the oil drain plug is.

Changing oil in the E39 M5 is VERY simple. Much easier than most any other car I have owned. :thumbsup:

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
Beverage selection

Jeff,

It´s friday night... ;-)
If you happen to have an early MY 2000 M5 that needs 10W-60 oil (as arguably all M5s need BTW), while changing oil what drinks would you recommend?

David

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Gustav said:
Thanks Gustav! Maybe I'll be brave enough to try this now. I really hate to bring it to the dealer just for an oil change.

I will have to buy a torque wrench. Not being familiar with this tool, does it allow you to tighten bolts to a specific pressure? I note that in a couple of instances (the plug drain bolt and the oil filter cap), Naka recommends tightening to a specific pressure.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Re: Beverage selection

DavidS said:
Jeff,

It´s friday night... ;-)
If you happen to have an early MY 2000 M5 that needs 10W-60 oil (as arguably all M5s need BTW), while changing oil what drinks would you recommend?

David
hmmm , tough one, David. As long as there's to be no driving after changing said oil :nono: , how about "dirty" martini's? Or, being that you're up there where you are, what about Aquavit :eek: :thumbsup:

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
It is definitely a very good idea to get a torque-wrench. The oil pan bolt-threads is a bit sensitive to over-tightening, and will leak if not tightened enough.

Get a torque-wrench of the kind where you set the desired torque on a scale, and the tool makes a click-sound when you reach that torque.
I think $20 will get you a good one, that will last decades.

(The kind of torque-wrench were you have to read on a scale while torquing
are cheaper, but irritating to use in many places.)

The other thing you might want is a socket that fits the oil-filter housing. You can then use your torque-wrench there too.

When dealing with both the Aluminium oil-drain bolt, and the plastic oil filter housing, use ronded 6-corner sockets, _not_ 12-corner sockets.

David

·
Registered
3,327 Posts

M-Fünf said:
hmmm , tough one, David. As long as there's to be no driving after changing said oil :nono: , how about "dirty" martini's? Or, being that you're up there where you are, what about Aquavit :eek: :thumbsup:
OK, tell me about Aquavite! A friend of mine used to have a boat named Aquavite, which was suddenly renamed when his (now ex-) wife walked out.....

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts

M-Fünf said:
hmmm , tough one, David. As long as there's to be no driving after changing said oil :nono:
I didn´t event think about pointing that out, to me that goes without saying.

Actually, they make Absolut in a destillery about 50 miles north from here.

Cheers!

David

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
M-Fünf:
Your last picture had me cracking up! :1:

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
I think $20 will get you a good one, that will last decades.
20 Euro maybe but not $20. Or maybe it HAS been decades since you bought yours and there's been quite some inflation since then. In the U.S., go to Sears and get the best one they have, and it will be more than $20. There is nothing worse than a miscalibrated torque wrench that leads to a stripped drain plug or bolt. In fact, think about getting two. One with 1/2" drive and one with 3/8" drive, the latter used for oil changes and brake work, the former for bigger things like wheel bolts.

One more tip. To remove and dispose of the oil filter, turn a zip lock bag inside out and "wear" it like a glove, then grasp the filter using the bag over your hand and pull the filter off the cap (there will be a "click"). Invert the bag, zip it up and you're clean, the garage is clean and it's ready for the trash can. :haha:

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
M-Fünf said:
I neglected to post one of my favorite images from that day:

I am confused, does the martini go into the engine before the new oil or after? :cheers:

Mark

·
Registered
992 Posts
The martini goes into the driver's intake port either 2 hours prior to it's first drive or immediately after finishing a drive.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Oops! I accidentally poured the vodka in the crankcase while sipping the 10W-30 and NOW they tell me I need 10W-60! What do I do NOW?

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
Jaeger said:
Oops! I accidentally poured the vodka in the crankcase while sipping the 10W-30 and NOW they tell me I need 10W-60! What do I do NOW?
I'm thinking you need to move on to something with a higher alcohol content! :p

Mark

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Thanks for all the tips.

One more question: how do you dispose of the old oil once it is drained into the pan/bucket?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Kev,
Where I used to live, they did curbside recycling of used motor oil. They don't do that where I live now, so I purchased a large plastic container with a 3" screw cap (like the ones the guys who have ATV's or Jet-ski's use).

It holds 5 gallons of oil. When it's full, I take it to the local quick-oil-change place, and they take it free of charge. I just dump it into their used oil tank and go home. :cheers:

Kragen Auto will also take used oil (some of them)

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
Lets see, they pumped the oil out of the ground so I think I should put it back into the ground. Isn't this called recycling?!

Mark

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
MAH said:
Lets see, they pumped the oil out of the ground so I think I should put it back into the ground. Isn't this called recycling?!

Mark
Mark, I can still remember the days when I'd work on cars with my dad. After we drained the oil from a crankcase, we'd put it in a sprayer and spray the gravel roads on our property with the oil. It kept the dust down...and "recycled" the oil... :eek:

:cheers:

·
Registered
590 Posts
Jeff, my wife is from an area in northwest Pa (Oil Country) where they still oil the dirt roads. Not sure if the EPA likes that.
But heh like MAH says it came from the ground why not put it back there. :hihi:

Joe

21 - 40 of 44 Posts